Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horace

Started by Consignia, January 03, 2021, 05:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

[nb]Yes he does go skiing at one point[/nb]

There's probably already been a thread about this game, but I'm fucked if I can find it.

Spotted this game going for almost nothing on Nintendo eshop, so decided it was worth a punt.

In essence, it's a narrative driven platformer. It's doesn't quite make it's mind up on what style of platformer it wants to be; it's starts off as a linear platformer, then becomes a bit of an Dizzy style world adventure for while, and then a metroid-vania type game for a bit as well. Never really sticks to a single style. It can be a bit sadistic platformer at times, but it really doesn't punish failure, so it can feel less of that than it might be.

Punctuating the platforming, there's tons of mini games as well, and they all pull from a bunch different genres. This can make some of the mandatory ones a bit difficult especially if there's one's not your bag. Again the game is also bit forgiving if you are shit at say Guitar hero type rhythm games.

But gameplay is only half of Horace, as I mentioned earlier it is narrative driven. It follows charming story about a the eponymous robot Horace and his journey through life. It starts off quite simple, but takes some rather massive swerves, and goes a bit post apocalyptic for a bit, but like it's platform style it never completely settles. However it is definitely charming all the way through, even though the tone is all over the place.

Did I mention the British pop culture references? Because oh boy, it's full of them. Ram packed. These can be a real joy to find and I don't really want to spoil them if you intend to play it, as there's some real joy in just finding them; two of my favourites;
Spoiler alert
The Day Today set in the BBC-alike
[close]
and finding
Spoiler alert
Mr.Spoon from Button Moon's rocket on the moon
[close]

Overall, I'd say it's a bit of mess but it's such a fun mess that's really worth a go. For the price it's hardly going to make a dent in your wallet, so if there's anything you even find remotely appealing, go for it. I think it's on Switch and PC, but it may also be available on other platforms as well.

Anyone else played it this and enjoyed it?

BlodwynPig

Is this Hungry Horace?

kalowski

Mister Six

This keeps popping up on my Facebook feed thanks to my delighted friends, and the idea of a modern Dizzy tickles me, so I'll definitely give it a whirl at some point. Ta for the reminder!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Consignia on January 03, 2021, 05:26:44 PM

Did I mention the British pop culture references?

Jerry Seinfeld isn't British.

Mister Six

No, that's Seimfeld.

Consignia

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 14, 2021, 11:05:36 AM
Jerry Seinfeld isn't British.

Yes, there's loads of characters in the Sitcommbe village who are references to American sitcoms, but besides there's tons of Brit stuff. Sorry the picture wasn't representative, but there's also lot's of American pop culture in there as well.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mister Six on January 14, 2021, 11:44:15 AM
No, that's Seimfeld.

HAHAHAHA!

Quote from: Consignia on January 14, 2021, 11:58:18 AM
Yes, there's loads of characters in the Sitcommbe village who are references to American sitcoms

I see what they did there... and I was joking, I had assumed that character's resemblance to Seimfeld was purely coincident. Hehehe.

Consignia

Ha, I know I was just covering myself since I said "Ooh very British" and I picked the worst screenshots to demonstrate. My dream of being video games journalist still seems so far away. /looks melancholily into the distance.

McDead

There's a very funny bit of Mary Whitehouse Experience graffiti at one point that made me laugh at loud in surprise (you can probably guess what the graffiti is if you're a MWE fan). Anyway, even if this game wasn't absolutely chokka with references and Easter eggs, it would still be a stunning game. Level design, control and overall gameplay are all sharp as a tack, and the storyline is a heartbreaker. Not many video games make me laugh or cry, this did both. And if the developer (it was essentially designed and built by one man) isn't an avowed CABber, then Ik ben een nederlander.

Moribunderast

I've been playing this recently. Veer between really liking it and finding it a bit annoying due to some of the floaty platforming (while the level design is really tough at times) and length of cut-scenes. Got stuck at a particularly tricky bit near the end
Spoiler alert
(the videogame tournament)
[close]
which was a bit frustrating but am through to the end now. It's a lengthy game! Thought I was nearing the end by Chapter 10 but am actually now nearing the end at Chapter 21.