Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ferry Cross My Hearsey

Started by Satchmo Distel, January 03, 2021, 05:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

BBC getting it totally fucking wrong as usual.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55524795

QuoteMarsden's band was one of the biggest success stories of the Merseybeat era, and in 1963 became the first to have their first three songs top the chart.

The second was Ferry Cross The Mersey, written by Marsden.

FCtM was never a number one.  Both their first two hits were by a guy called Mitch Murray, who in the 90s published a book about how to write a best man's speech.

DrGreggles

Alberon

No longer needs his pacemaker[nb]Yeah, I know he had heart surgery, but no pacemaker, but I couldn't resist.[/nb].

Gulftastic

My favourite version is Harry Enfield's scousers rendition.

kalowski

Life doesn't go on day after day.

Bury Cross the Mersey

rue the polywhirl

I Don't Like It (Being Dead)
How Do You Do It? (I Wish I Knew But I Can't. Because I'm Dead)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I always liked how, in later years, whenever Marsden inevitably turned up in BBC Four documentaries about the British Invasion, he'd always be sat in the corner of a Merseybeat memorabilia-encrusted Liverpool pub with a pint in front of him. He was presumably stationed there at all times, just waiting for a film crew. RIP.

As we mentioned on the Poppermost thread when wd did 1963, Marsden was a regulatpr on The Sooty Show for several years

https://sooty.fandom.com/wiki/Gerry_Marsden

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'll Be There ( in my coffin/ urn/ ultimately, grave).

Chedney Honks

Johnboy

I liked Gerry, he was good in that Epstein doc.

shiftwork2

Saw him in panto at the Liverpool Empire in, I'm guessing, 1974 or 5.  No recollection whatsoever, sorry.

Norton Canes

Is there life in Marsden?

(No)

Ringo nearly joined Gerry and the Pacemakers on bass before getting the Beatles gig, apparently.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 03, 2021, 08:35:23 PM
I always liked how, in later years, whenever Marsden inevitably turned up in BBC Four documentaries about the British Invasion, he'd always be sat in the corner of a Merseybeat memorabilia-encrusted Liverpool pub with a pint in front of him. He was presumably stationed there at all times, just waiting for a film crew. RIP.

Looking like Eddie Large

gilbertharding

Gerry Marsdead.

A few years ago I was using the Mersey Ferry, and was amazed and amused to find that it played 'Ferry Cross the Mersey' on an apparently endless loop. I thought I would make some kind of quip to the man who operated the doors and gangplank, about how being subjected to this dirge throughout every day of every one of his his shifts must surely one day drive him stark staring mad.
Quick as a flash, and displaying the legendary Scouse sense of humour, he replied "I quite like Gerry Marsden."

Gulftastic

I've been on the South Shields/North Shields ferry and that was rubbish. Is the Mersey one better?

famethrowa

Ferry Cross the Mersey. Such rubbish. I heard it back before I even knew much about the Beatles and could see it was sentimental junk, a Cliff Richard castoff that sounded straight out of 1959. FFS, The Fabs were writing Ticket To Ride as this stinker was cashing in on their work with his half a chorus that went nowhere.

jobotic

Never done the ferry across the Mersay, although I have watched it from the Liverpool side.

I have, however, done

"Transpo-o-orter across the Usk."

The Culture Bunker

I've done the ferry cross the Gulf of Finland, which was mainly full of Finns on their way back from a trip to Tallinn to load up on cheap booze.

This was a more interesting experience to me than listening to anything by Gerry and the Pacemakers.