Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:35:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How much is a pint?

Started by touchingcloth, January 03, 2021, 09:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

My London friends are staying and they reckon a pint is six (6)[nb]SIX![/nb] pounds.

What is it where you are? Has it bankrupted you yet?

Junket Pumper

You can get a chicken wrap, chips and a pint for less than that in spoons up north

popcorn

can't even remember what a fucking pint is mate.

Chedney Honks

Great question. London, you say?

Seems you'll all be 'staying' in the fucking morgue soon, buddy!

jobotic

canadagoose

Depends where you are in the city. Pubs around here tend to be £4.50-ish.

Edit: Haven't been in a pub in a while, though. I was briefly in one in September, but that's about it.

JamesTC

Wonderful Butternut

€4.50 - €5 for Bulmers cider. Bulmers in Ireland isn't the same brand as Bulmers in the UK, btw. It's actually the same drink as Magners. Standard draft lagers (ie. piss) are a bit cheaper.

I'd say I haven't been in the pub just for a pint for a year though, I usually have it with food. So I might be out of date.

Ferris

$8-9 plus $1 tip per drink (unless you also have food and the whole thing gets more complicated).

Butchers Blind

The non wetherspoons pubs round near me were charging around £4.20 a pint depending on what it was.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 03, 2021, 10:02:08 PM
$8-9 plus $1 tip per drink (unless you also have food and the whole thing gets more complicated).

A tip per drink do you have more money than sense? That's rhetorical - clearly you do, and not only because you're a pauper.

Is it per drink, or per round? That's the most mental thing I've heard today, and one of the things I've heard today is that my London friends' lodger is in a fingering cult.

touchingcloth

I'd like to apologise to everyone that I didn't think up the name "what is pint?" for this thread sooner.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This excludes outliers like Spoons and Sam Smiths:

Last time I was down in London I was finding pints of London Pride for between £4.20-£5.10 in the centre.

In Leeds centre a basic cask pale will set you back £3.40-3.80 these days at most places.

Sheffield has always been reasonably cheap. Can think of many places where you can get a good cask pale for £2.90-3.50.

York wildly varies due to the tourist trade. Hull is fairly cheap for a pint. Manchester is getting on for worse than Leeds prices, sadly. Newcastle about the same price as Leeds. Cambridge seemed expensive. Chester very decent. Lincoln surprisingly expensive.

If you just want the very cheapest pint you can still find some for £2.50 and below around the country, even in London.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThat's the most mental thing I've heard today, and one of the things I've heard today is that my London friends' lodger is in a fingering cult.

Laughed

thenoise

£4 in my local (Devon) and I thought that was rather steep.

Mobbd

About £4 here in Glasgow is about right. As of ten months ago, my local has fancy lager for £5.10 and Tennent's for £3.70.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Reckon like £5.50 in Brighton? Although I only really drink wiiiiiiiiiine now

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 03, 2021, 10:55:17 PM
Reckon like £5.50 in Brighton?

Yeah, I'd say £4.80-£5.50 for a decent cider/lager in Brighton.

Captain Crunch

It's worth it if the pub has a name like:

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 03, 2021, 10:23:37 PM
A tip per drink do you have more money than sense? That's rhetorical - clearly you do, and not only because you're a pauper.

Is it per drink, or per round? That's the most mental thing I've heard today, and one of the things I've heard today is that my London friends' lodger is in a fingering cult.

It is approximate but yeah per drink, and you factor it in as you go. You pay at the end, oh here's my bill I had 4 pints so that's ~$30 and I'll tip $4. That's about 19 quid all told.

It's stupid, especially as tipping is an American thing to make up for their crummy salary (a liveable wage being a responsibility the State has foisted onto Joe public #freedom). Canadian barstaff get minimum wage so plus tips (which are legally tax free) you hear of people making 6 figures tending a bar/waiting tables if it's an expensive place full of rich cunts who want to flash the cash.

Uncle TechTip

International leisure travel in a pandemic? Bit much, that?

idunnosomename

a pint of beer? like a pound or so from the supermarket. a pint of wine? a bit more i guess

JesusAndYourBush

A pint of Guinness 3 months ago cost me £4.50.

PowerButchi

About 3 quid. I have a personal 3.50 threshold and if it goes over that the pub in question can go fuck.

Pink Gregory

How long is a pint of a piece of string?

Buelligan

Apparently something like 1.30 seconds, seems ludicrous.

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 03, 2021, 11:24:42 PM
It's worth it if the pub has a name like:

bgmnts

I think a Carling in Spoons is around £2/2.50 maybe.

Glebe

This makes me think of Irish TV financial advisor Eddie Hobbs going on about the "price of a pint".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on January 04, 2021, 01:52:13 PM
I think a Carling in Spoons is around £2/2.50 maybe.

Their prices vary higher in London and some honeypot venues. Still cheaper than nearly everywhere else, mind. Flipside, they had Rudgate beers on cask for £1.25 a pint in Ripon in early December. Anyway, fuck them.