Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most UNIQUE Movie You've Seen?

Started by MortSahlFan, January 03, 2021, 11:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

And one that's great, a favorite of yours... Most of the unique movies I'm thinking of are either shitty, or just "good".

"Buffalo '66" is mine.

sevendaughters

Only a short but I can't think of much I've seen that looks and flows like Jabberwocky by Jan Svankmajer. The combination of strange and uncanny animation, oddly disembodied music, interjections of real objects (a tree, a cat), nonsense poetry, Victoriana, and kaleidoscopic montage...it feels apart from anything in Czech animation or even in Svankmajer's own locker. You could draw lines from it to surrealism, I suppose.

The simple facts are that most films are like other films and it is the stylistic and emotive differences between them that make us love (or hate) one more than the other. My favourite film at the moment is The Son by the Dardennes, which looks quite a lot like their other films, and connects to a whole history of European social concern film-making grounded in realism, but there's something about it that elevates it. For me at least.

Chedney Honks

I can't say ever without more consideration, but recently I'd say the 80s Cantonese period-horror-action-comedy, Mr Vampire. Even the so-called horror elements are like nothing I've seen before. Jumping vampires. It's very camp, almost a family film, and the comedy is broad and goofy but also hilariously deadpan at times. It's got something intangible, feels like bottled lightning, spawned an entire genre I understand, and I'm not even sure whether it's good.

jamiefairlie

Simon (aged 8): 'You can't have gradations of uniqueness. One is either unique, or not!'

phes

Those Ugandan action films by Ramon Films Production etc were quite unlike anything I'd seen before

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 03, 2021, 11:48:12 PM
Simon (aged 8): 'You can't have gradations of uniqueness. One is either unique, or not!'

Sonny_Jim

Lemonade Joe was probably the most 'unique' film I've watched recently after seeing it recommended on here.  Can't say that I enjoyed all of it, but it was definitely one of the most interesting and unique things I've seen in a while.

I did watch 'Wake In Fright' the other night, but that's not really unique.  It does have a drunken sex-pest Donald Pleasence though, so that's fairly unique about it,  Never understood why it's classified as a horror though, I guess it's the name.

Shaky

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 04, 2021, 05:50:04 AM
I did watch 'Wake In Fright' the other night, but that's not really unique.  It does have a drunken sex-pest Donald Pleasence though, so that's fairly unique about it,  Never understood why it's classified as a horror though, I guess it's the name.

It is incredibly tense for much of the time, though, and the pervasive vibe is undeniably creepy and skin-crawling. Watching Australians down beer after beer has never been so intense, and I say that as someone who lives there.

C_Larence

Love Exposure, one of the best four hour long Japanese movies about catholicism, upskirt photography, cross dressing and boners.

Also F For Fake, which I watched for the first time only recently. Despite being nearly 50 years old it still feels ahead of its time, and I've never seen another movie, let alone a documentary, with editing like it.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Shaky on January 04, 2021, 06:19:03 AM
It is incredibly tense for much of the time, though, and the pervasive vibe is undeniably creepy and skin-crawling.
On wikipedia it's described as a 'Psychological Thriller', which seems more fitting.  The 2 people I watched it with the other night (both Australians in their 30's) hadn't heard of it and assumed it was some kind of 'drill killer' video.  Fast forwarded through the roo hunt scene on this watchthrough, that was definitely unsettling.  So yeah, maybe it is a horror movie lol

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 04, 2021, 06:41:16 AM
On wikipedia it's described as a 'Psychological Thriller', which seems more fitting.  The 2 people I watched it with the other night (both Australians in their 30's) hadn't heard of it and assumed it was some kind of 'drill killer' video.  Fast forwarded through the roo hunt scene on this watchthrough, that was definitely unsettling.  So yeah, maybe it is a horror movie lol

For those of you wondering where they'd seen the actress who plays the Ozzie pisshead's daughter and only woman in the film before, she went on to play Shelley's mum in the British sit- com " Shelley", and Penny's mum in the British sit- com " Just Good Friends". She sadly passed away last year.

wooders1978

I quite enjoyed "Mandy" with nic cage - never seen anything like it

Mr_Simnock

The Colour of Pomegranates, just completely weird and beautiful in equal measure

Dex Sawash

Dusty Substance

Liquid Sky (1982) is a film about an alien as if it were directed by an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRjiEBNxnKw

NoSleep

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 03, 2021, 11:48:12 PM

That's what I was thinking.

Custard

Calvaire (The Ordeal) is pretty, eh, unique. Still haunts me ten years on from seeing it

Lungpuddle

Agree with everyone quoting that little shit Simon.

To answer, probably a David Lynch film chosen at random.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Lungpuddle on January 04, 2021, 02:20:44 PM

To answer, probably a David Lynch film chosen at random.

I was going to say Eraserhead. Can't think of anything similar to it.

Glebe

There's a movie called The Music of Chance which I must try and get a hold of and watch again.

Under the Skin is pretty unique.

Sin Agog

Hmm.  Maybe Hans-Jürgen Syberberg's 7 1/2 hour movie about Hitler, which busts out every arthouse trick, including mouldering mannequins, rear-projection, opera, didactic soliloquies, and everything else in order for those born in Germany a generation after da war to ponder their way through the cognitive-dissonance that kept their parents ticking along.  It's just insanely rich, exhausting and, yeah, unique.  Only things I've seen vaguely like it are some of Syberberg's other films.

lipsink

Bait by Mark Jenkin

Also, Under The Skin.

phantom_power

Quote from: Glebe on January 04, 2021, 03:11:17 PM
There's a movie called The Music of Chance which I must try and get a hold of and watch again.

Under the Skin is pretty unique.

The Music of Chance is brilliant, but I don't remember it being particularly unique. Isn't it a fairly standard low-key drama, albeit with a fairly unusual plot and structure?

Lungpuddle

It's a bit hard thinking of a unique film if the directors made more than one and has a consistent style. I wanted to say The Holy Mountain but El Toppo and all his rest render it not unique. Eraserhead stands out among Lynch's stuff, but Inland Empire has a similar vibe (though I find it even more instructable at times). So it's probably easiest picking a film where the director has only made that one, or I've only seen that one.

I'm going to have to say Garden State.

Glebe

Quote from: phantom_power on January 04, 2021, 05:10:18 PMThe Music of Chance is brilliant, but I don't remember it being particularly unique. Isn't it a fairly standard low-key drama, albeit with a fairly unusual plot and structure?

Haven't seen it in years, just remember it had an odd, unsettling tone.

MortSahlFan

A Woman In the Dunes

(Might still be on YouTube in full -- highly recommend it)

Sin Agog

Quote from: MortSahlFan on January 04, 2021, 05:39:40 PM
A Woman In the Dunes

(Might still be on YouTube in full -- highly recommend it)

Naturally I fucking adore that movie, and it did cross my mind to bring it up, but that director did make a picture called Pitfall a couple of years earlier that has a pretty similar feel and allegorical message. Also has a Kobo Abe script based on his own story.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203612/

Famous Mortimer

"The Girl Chewing Gum" isn't like anything else I can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57hJn-nkKSA

Bad Ambassador

Dziga Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera is probably the great film most unlike any other film I can think of.