Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most UNIQUE Movie You've Seen?

Started by MortSahlFan, January 03, 2021, 11:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotepretty unique
Quotemost unique
Quoteparticularly unique

It's either unique or not unique, there is no sliding scale.

Do we mean distinctive?

Dr Rock

Some things are closer to being unique than others.

Anyway, Head.

Absorb the anus burn

Persona. Simply for the brutal editing choices.... The mid film burn out... A stiffy and crucifixion in the opening scene... No other vampire movie can come close to the psychological horror Bergman displays here.

Bazooka

La Jetée,  I mean I've probably seen something more off bat, but that came to mind.

Dr Rock

I Don't Want To Sleep Alone too.

And another vote for Under The Skin.

Remember Being John Malkovich? Reasonably unique I reckon.

chveik

Magnum Valentino

Tetsuo The Iron Man. That's an odd one.

dissolute ocelot

Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg and The Saddest Music In The World are both unique, and quite unlike each other despite a certain Maddin commonality. Also George Romero's Martin for its unique atmosphere even though there are other films with a similar idea. And Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

A couple of others which may be unique but maybe betray my lack of knowledge of east European cinema, Sergei Parajanov's Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (not seen The Color of Pomegranates though) and Miklós Jancsó's Electra, My Love (an insane Euripedes adaptation shot in long takes with lots of anachronism, random naked people, giant balls, and other weirdness; it's apparently a defence of violent revolution which is also unusual.) I've not seen any other Jancsó and he seems to have made a lot of others, so maybe they're all like that.

(Do you want my essay on why "most unique" is ok? Everything in the universe is unique. If you want to use the word, you must mean particularly unique.)

SteveDave

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 04, 2021, 02:20:06 PM
Calvaire (The Ordeal) is pretty, eh, unique. Still haunts me ten years on from seeing it

I've just read the wiki
Spoiler alert
"one of them then briefly rapes Marc on the dining room table"
[close]
Briefly.

SteveDave

The Forbidden Zone It's a musical but it's a one-off.

wasp_f15ting

I can't recall the name of the film, but its one where a woman breast feeds a sentient baby tree.. one of you Sickos might remember what its called.

Sin Agog

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on January 05, 2021, 02:46:54 PM
I can't recall the name of the film, but its one where a woman breast feeds a sentient baby tree.. one of you Sickos might remember what its called.

Little Otik.  Seen him in the flesh.  Or in the bark.

El Unicornio, mang

I caught this one, The Baby (1973) on late night BBC2 when I was a kid and thought it was the most horribly bizarre thing I'd seen. I just couldn't comprehend it. Might come across more as standard 70s weird horror fare if I watched it now though.

Johnboy

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 05, 2021, 03:05:56 PM
Little Otik.  Seen him in the flesh.  Or in the bark.

That's the one !!

druss

Die Hard - it's an R rated action film but get this: it's set at Christmas.

Mr Banlon

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 05, 2021, 08:57:36 PM
The Greasy Strangler

I really liked this, a bit try-hard, but Michael St.Michaels was superb.

For me, Head has to be the most unique film I've seen, even without psychedelics.

Freaks is also high up the list.

AnOrdinaryBoy

Quote from: C_Larence on January 04, 2021, 06:25:42 AM
Love Exposure, one of the best four hour long Japanese movies about catholicism, upskirt photography, cross dressing and boners.

I was thinking to say the same film. The way it straddles through differing storylines and genres whilst maintaining a consistent narrative and tone is genuinely mesmerising to watch and all the more surprising given the absolute shit-fest that Japanese cinema has become since the turn of the century.

Jerzy Bondov

There's November, which opens with a rattling skull on a stick abducting a cow. Never seen that before.

sutin

Quote from: SteveDave on January 05, 2021, 02:20:58 PM
The Forbidden Zone It's a musical but it's a one-off.

The Oingo Boingo movie! It was created as a goodbye to Boingo's first period as a musical street theatre group (called The Mystic Knights Of The Oingo Boingo). Agreed that there's nothing like it, Richard Elfman is a total maniac.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 05, 2021, 08:49:36 AM
Tetsuo The Iron Man. That's an odd one.

all three of these films are equally odd and brilliant i recon

tokyo fist also

Johnny Textface

Hard to be a God
Freddy Got Fingered
Husbands
2001 A Space Odyssey
Adaptation
Police Academy 8

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Johnny Textface on January 12, 2021, 12:02:16 AM
2001 A Space Odyssey
Ooh good one, although I would probably say 'Solaris' (the original one, not the remake).  2001 is a much greater accomplishment visually, but Solaris is slightly more unique.
Freddy Got Fingered
I've never seen this, I love shitty movies and Rip Torn, but I don't think I can stand Tom Green.  Plus I think most of the 'gags' have already been ruined for me due to countless clips I've seen over the years.
Police Academy 8
Is that 'Mission to Moscow'?  I wouldn't say it's unique, they made 7 other ones that are basically identical.

greenman

Quote from: Johnny Textface on January 12, 2021, 12:02:16 AM
Hard to be a God

Certainly high up on the "unique" that I also consider one of my favourites, although I spose taking away from that Marketa Lazarova is a little along the same lines.