Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Characters added late to a sitcom that the writers love that you hate.

Started by dead-ced-dead, January 04, 2021, 10:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

The babies / children in anything... [nb]First Born in The Biederbeck Connection excepted.[/nb]

JamesTC

PowerButchi

Mr Banlon

Ted McGinley in Happy Days
Ted McGinley in Married With Children

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 05, 2021, 08:39:22 PM
Ted McGinley in Happy Days

He has his own page on Jump The Shark.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Seagullsim

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 04, 2021, 04:20:27 PM
Cassandra

Damien is worse. That ridiculous cod-Jamaican accent makes the later episodes unwatchable.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Seagullsim on January 05, 2021, 11:27:45 PM
Damien is worse. That ridiculous cod-Jamaican accent makes the later episodes unwatchable.
As far as I'm concerned those episodes don't exist.

neveragain

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 05, 2021, 08:39:22 PM

Jefferson is a much funnier character than Steve. Nothing against the other guy's performance, J just gets more laughs.

I also enjoyed John Thompson's baffled barman in MBB. Scruffy Ken the better character of the two there though.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 05, 2021, 11:49:46 PM
Whaaaaat he was great!

John Thomson is great, and his performance as Ken is great, but I don't think he fits into the show all that well, especially compared to Les.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on January 05, 2021, 08:25:09 PM
The babies / children in anything... [nb]First Born in The Biederbeck Connection excepted.[/nb]

The worst example of this is when the newborn child was introduced in The Omen series of films.

Yes the child did allow for a lot of slapstick and pratfalls to be introduced to the plot, but on the whole, I found those bits to be a bit gruesome rather than funny.

neveragain

notjosh

Sounds like I'm alone in thinking Zooey Deschanel in New Girl is a brilliant comic performance. Twee of course, but in a self-aware and charming fashion. I like comedy actors who build lots of unique tics and unusual rhythms into their characters (Gervais in The Office or either of the leads in Spaced are others that I like) and I think she has created a really well-defined and controlled comic persona.

Jerzy Bondov

I will defend just about any aspect of New Girl. I think it's great and has joined Seinfeld and classic The Simpsons in my 'just bang an episode on for a guaranteed good time' list. I'll happily stand with notjosh and say that Deschanel is really very good. I'll also stand up for Megan Fox, whose character (Regan) is deliberately very different from Jess and harder to warm to. I don't think it would have worked to just have New Girl without a new girl while Zooey had a baby. Regan is also really important to the way Nick's character develops over the series, which might be its strongest feature. Plus, Megan Fox had her career torpedoed for calling out Hollywood sexism, so good on New Girl for giving her something interesting to do.

samadriel

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 05, 2021, 09:46:35 AM.

Wasn't keen on that child clone they introduced in Futurama.

Ooh, good call, Cuberd is awful. Even his nose is awful! Hermes' boring son didn't help, but at least he was just boring.

johnlogan

Quote from: icehaven on January 04, 2021, 04:28:29 PM
Came here to post Daphne's mum in Frasier, I can't stand her! The bizarrely accented brothers are all godawful too but they're only in a few episodes (and only Simon mostly) so it's not so bad, but she stank up entire seasons.

Another vote for this. First character I thought of when I saw the title. Genuinely inscrutably bad, bringing only misery and tedium to the show, including that whole family.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: samadriel on January 07, 2021, 08:22:26 PM
Ooh, good call, Cuberd is awful. Even his nose is awful!
He was supposed to be awful though, wasn't he? He was a send up of Wesley Crusher and that sort. Plus he wasn't in that many episodes.

Thursday

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 07, 2021, 07:25:04 PM
I will defend just about any aspect of New Girl. I think it's great and has joined Seinfeld and classic The Simpsons in my 'just bang an episode on for a guaranteed good time' list. I'll happily stand with notjosh and say that Deschanel is really very good. I'll also stand up for Megan Fox, whose character (Regan) is deliberately very different from Jess and harder to warm to. I don't think it would have worked to just have New Girl without a new girl while Zooey had a baby. Regan is also really important to the way Nick's character develops over the series, which might be its strongest feature. Plus, Megan Fox had her career torpedoed for calling out Hollywood sexism, so good on New Girl for giving her something interesting to do.

Haha you fancy them. You want to kiss them!

Jittlebags

Quote from: JamesTC on January 05, 2021, 08:26:09 PM
The sauna lady in The Brittas Empire Series 6.

The baby in the desk drawer. He/she was a proper tw*t.

Mr Trumpet

Speaking of Frasier - they gradually introduced more and more of his colleagues and they tended towards being rubbish. Bulldog was a one-note character (although the actor was pretty good), Kenny was dull, Noel was boring. Gil was great obviously.

samadriel

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 07, 2021, 10:20:19 PM
He was supposed to be awful though, wasn't he? He was a send up of Wesley Crusher and that sort. Plus he wasn't in that many episodes.
Really? God, it felt like forever. Didn't help that he was intentionally awful, I find that rarely does.

I can only remember three episodes (from the original run) off the top of my head, anyway. He certainly wasn't a character that the writers seemed to love - the main characters couldn't stand him either.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 08, 2021, 01:45:47 PM
I can only remember three episodes (from the original run) off the top of my head, anyway. He certainly wasn't a character that the writers seemed to love - the main characters couldn't stand him either.

A few more, but you're dead right, Cubert was in far less of the show than most would think.

The writers lost confidence in what they were trying to do with Cubert and think that's why he became more like a regular kind - in an episode like Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV thought he worked relatively well.

*edit* I meant kid!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 07, 2021, 10:57:27 PM
Speaking of Frasier - they gradually introduced more and more of his colleagues and they tended towards being rubbish. Bulldog was a one-note character (although the actor was pretty good), Kenny was dull, Noel was boring. Gil was great obviously.

Pretty sure most of those were introduced in the first season - I was watching a few episodes recently and sure that Bulldog, Gill and Noel featured. I think I would really call all recurring characters. Not a huge depth to them to be sure, but I was particularly fond of Gill and Bulldog.

I would agree that Cubert is not as entertainingly antagonistic as Mom or Zapp Brannigan.