Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:19:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnson to announce new Covid restrictions for England at 8pm tonight

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 04, 2021, 03:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Quote from: finnquark on January 04, 2021, 04:29:32 PM
A parent of 5 Live just called up to say that she was keeping her kids in due to the medical emergency.

The presenter said "Where do you get your information? Because you sound like a Labour voter."
Had to go and hear that for myself, that is cunting unbelievable. Does that imbecilic person think parents are keeping their kids out of school to show up the tories? How fucking geologically dense is Anna Foster?

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: M-CORP on January 04, 2021, 04:40:02 PM
75% of England is under tier 4, thus being unable to exercise with more than one person or go out for non-essential purposes. I don't see how the government can possibly go further than just a blanket tier 4 for everyone, beyond that would just be people not being allowed out at all, which wouldn't work or be enforceable. Further tiers like tier 5, as has been rumoured, IMHO negates the point of a tiered system - too many tiers, too much confusion.

Unlike the last March and November lockdowns, we have next to no advance warning on what is being announced. Scared that Boris is gonna do something really drastic, like full-on martial law, dictatorship, not allowed to be outside at all. (Because I'm clear-headed like that.) Surely that would cause just as much harm and people would not obey it - I could stay in my small, dark uni accommodation all day, but I'd feel like shit without going out for some walk. And I would need to go to the shop at some point.

Hilarious to think that just yesterday Boris told us that schools were undoubtedly safe and kids should go in, only to possibly be U-turning barely 48 hours later, by which point kids have spent 1 day in school so the horse has bolted. I have Asperger's and my reaction times are better than his.

According to Peston outdoor exercise will still be allowed. Not allowing people outdoors would be counter-productive as it would reduce the amount of exercise we could get, and outdoor transmission is much less of a risk as I understand it (although social distancing outdoors is still essential). People will be allowed to visit essential shops as well.

The government aren't going to go beyond what was announced in March - they've been trying to avoid another lockdown for weeks due to so many of their own MPs and supporters being against it. He will probably face a small Tory rebellion on Wednesday even trying to get another March lockdown through Parliament, though he'll probably do it with Labour voting for it and probably most of the other parties as well (not sure about the DUP).

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Rizla on January 04, 2021, 04:54:17 PM
Had to go and hear that for myself, that is cunting unbelievable. Does that imbecilic person think parents are keeping their kids out of school to show up the tories? How fucking geologically dense is Anna Foster?

Linking views on the coronavirus to support for a certain political party would probably breach BBC impartiality guidelines.

imitationleather

Can't wait until we get rid of Johnson and have four years+ of Priti Patel as PM instead.

Junket Pumper

Really don't understand why they haven't used the vaccine to push for another lockdown. Surely it's easier to get away with another one when most sane people know the vaccine is safe and around the corner

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Junket Pumper on January 04, 2021, 06:03:29 PM
Really don't understand why they haven't used the vaccine to push for another lockdown. Surely it's easier to get away with another one when most sane people know the vaccine is safe and around the corner

It hasn't been announced yet, so maybe they will. Johnson's earlier 'interview' already dropped that in.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Zetetic on January 04, 2021, 04:12:56 PM
4 Nations meeting at 1700 might be relevant.

For a second I thought "What has rugby got to do with this..." and then I realised I was being a dunderhead.

Thought I can imagine Johnson scheduling important announcements to the public round rugby.

flotemysost

It's not going to happen but I'd really like to hear stronger enforcing of face covering laws. Of course many people are exempt and the reasons might not be obvious (or might be difficult/traumatic to have to explain), but surely even just whacking an on-the-spot fine to all the twats on public transport/supermarkets who've got their masks flapping round their chins (and so presumably aren't exempt) would already eliminate a sizeable chunk of potential spread - this is already happening in other parts of Europe from what I've heard, along with laws requiring face coverings in busy street areas.

Just seems like a relatively simple, proven way of reducing transmission, although I know transport and retail staff must be having a fucking shitty time as it is already.

jobotic

Has this Anna Foster business been noticed outside of this forum?

Captain Z

Predictions for tough new Tier 5 restrictions:

Social gatherings to be reduced from max 6 to max 4 people
Universities to teach online except where teaching online is not possible
Try to hold your breath as much as possible

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One thing that has fallen by the wayside in how many shops have a max capacity and properly managed queues, one way systems, etc (even in March they weren't that well managed but at least there was some effort).

No point closing schools if supermarkets are just going to become Kovidkid miasmaisles of super-speading with everyone trying to deal with the fact that a grocery run and a day out are now the same fucking thing.

jobotic

amateur

Quote from: Captain Z on January 04, 2021, 06:47:02 PM

Stop infecting people unless essential

imitationleather

Lungpuddle

Is it definitely about restrictions? Find it odd Johnson's making an announcement the day Jodie Whittaker's exit from Dr Who is reported.

I know the announcement will be weak, bare minimum stuff with just the right amount of words to qualify as communication in order to blame the public for tory failure, but my anxiety is through the roof and I keep imagining worse and worser things.

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on January 04, 2021, 07:03:00 PM

Cheered up now, thanks.

Attila

Quote from: Captain Z on January 04, 2021, 06:47:02 PM

Which for my university will mean, we must still be on campus to teach seminars to empty classrooms, because all of the students are sensibly staying home to stream the meeting on Teams.

flotemysost

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 04, 2021, 06:49:18 PM
One thing that has fallen by the wayside in how many shops have a max capacity and properly managed queues, one way systems, etc (even in March they weren't that well managed but at least there was some effort).

I was thinking that too. There's still the odd smaller corner shop with a sun-bleached "MAX. 4 CUSTOMERS" sign getting studiously ignored in the window but the supermarkets are an absolute free-for-all, five in one out, covid soup in there surely.

Only place I've seen recently with any sort of workable queue/capacity system is my local Post Office (although with the pre-Chrexit rush they're probs fucked anyway).

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder if he will be late again.

"How many times should I call the public folks?"

"Just get out there and speak, Prime Minister."

imitationleather

Fambo Number Mive

His hair is a mess again. Have some respect and brush it before you speak to the nation.

Junket Pumper

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 04, 2021, 08:02:49 PM
His hair is a mess again. Have some respect and brush it before you speak to the nation.

He does it on purpose as a distraction

Fambo Number Mive

Icehaven

Gulftastic

Rizla

MojoJojo

Quote from: icehaven on January 04, 2021, 08:07:51 PM
There goes the bogroll again.

Shit. Tesco forgot to deliver my loo roll yesterday. I might be in trouble.