Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnson to announce new Covid restrictions for England at 8pm tonight

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 04, 2021, 03:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Quote from: Cursus on January 04, 2021, 08:38:26 PM
Seems to be as follows:

Cheers.

Nothing about research activities. I work in facilities management so I expect I'm still going to work as normal.

Chedney Honks

Rizla mate

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that, we haven't even got kids so it's a fuckload easier for us than a lot of people. I hope your missus is feeling a bit better soon. Even cunty bollocks was right (I really fucking hope) that this time round, we do have the vaccine on the horizon, and loads of different ones. There's no 18-24 months if ever kind of question, it's coming.

Sending hugs and if it all goes tits up, I'll have everyone here's fucking back on no man's land. X

Icehaven

Just been told to wfh again until further notice. Back to work in June then!

Cuellar

This bloody lockdown. All my plans are ruined. All those plans I had to do things, all those plans ruined.

Who, that doesn't need to leave the house for work or whatever, is actually going out and doing anything anyway? Seeing lots of 'OH GREAT ANOTHER LOCKDOWN' messages. Who cares? What were you doing that wasn't 'go and buy food, go for a walk/run, go the doctor, see your bubble', eh? Going down the pub with all the lads? Football match? Fingering party? Get a grip.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on January 04, 2021, 09:08:03 PM
Just been told to wfh again until further notice. Back to work in June then!

we're about to roll out wastewater sampling in prisons. GET BACK IN THERE!

Cuellar

QuoteEngland will enter its toughest nationwide lockdown since March, with schools closed and people allowed to leave home once a day for exercise for at least six weeks.

Don't think I'll be able to run for that long.

Jasha

QuoteOf course one thing has changed since March

Yeah it's cold and dark and miserable

idunnosomename

get the fuck out there captain tom. your work is far from over

bomb_dog

Sat in on our local schools governors meeting this morning where they agreed to only open up for key workers children, those who can't learn from home and/or be fed satisfactorily. 50% of teachers refused to work with full classes and the meeting was to formally recognise they couldn't open up. Loads of people having to make effectively life or death decisions for their staff, their pupils, their families. All should have been unnecessary if the government showed some leadership. When they do eventually do something, the figures are so bad to justify it it's self evident to any idiot it should have been decided weeks ago.

And judging by how busy it was on Saturday morning round here (tier 4) where the hell everyone was going in their cars I don't know, and this announcement just effectively adds a percentage of (each) school, (not nurseries interestingly) leaving virtually all businesses continuing as before... well... the vaccine is seen as the only way out. Unsure tier 4+ is going to be enough to flatline this for weeks and weeks, if at all.

Rizla

Quote from: Junket Pumper on January 04, 2021, 09:03:23 PM
What about people with medical exemptions who don't need to wear a mask? Why would you call the fucking morons?
let me guess - Sponk?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: flotemysost on January 04, 2021, 08:55:59 PM
In all seriousness, solidarity and hugs to anyone feeling completely deflated and hopeless right now. You lot/this place has been a rare and dependable voice of reason and wisdom for me throughout the past year on covid-related stuff and you've given me (and many others I'm sure) hope that not everyone is a complete fucking moron about this thing. Hope everyone's OK.

Hear bloody hear. You nutty lot have made me feel so much better about humanity during these last few (few?) thundercunting months. Dunno how I would've coped without this sideways-glancing oasis of sanity, to be honest. And here we go again. Take care.

Junket Pumper

Quote from: Rizla on January 04, 2021, 09:26:26 PM
let me guess - Sponk?

Don't know what that means. I hadn't read the second part of your post about the effect lockdown had on your kids, sorry to hear that, but I just have a particular sore spot for people being attacked for not wearing masks when it's happened to a close friend of mine who has a medical exemption.

jobotic

Quote from: bomb_dog on January 04, 2021, 09:26:17 PM
Sat in on our local schools governors meeting this morning where they agreed to only open up for key workers children, those who can't learn from home and/or be fed satisfactorily. 50% of teachers refused to work with full classes and the meeting was to formally recognise they couldn't open up. Loads of people having to make effectively life or death decisions for their staff, their pupils, their families. All should have been unnecessary if the government showed some leadership. When they do eventually do something, the figures are so bad to justify it it's self evident to any idiot it should have been decided weeks ago.

And judging by how busy it was on Saturday morning round here (tier 4) where the hell everyone was going in their cars I don't know, and this announcement just effectively adds a percentage of (each) school, (not nurseries interestingly) leaving virtually all businesses continuing as before... well... the vaccine is seen as the only way out. Unsure tier 4+ is going to be enough to flatline this for weeks and weeks, if at all.

I thought Tier 4 had to only be open for vulnerable and key worker children anyway after Williamson's u-turn.

Problem we've had here is with Special Educational Needs schools saying everyone is vulnerable so we're open as usual.

Rizla

Quote from: Junket Pumper on January 04, 2021, 09:33:30 PM
Don't know what that means.

I was guessing which former user you were sock-puppeting, as I've noticed you concern-trolling over quite a few posts these past few days, in much the same manner as the aforementioned used to do.

Quote from: Junket Pumper on January 04, 2021, 09:33:30 PM
I hadn't read the second part of your post about the effect lockdown had on your kids, sorry to hear that, but I just have a particular sore spot for people being attacked for not wearing masks when it's happened to a close friend of mine who has a medical exemption.

Ok cool.

bomb_dog

We've only been tier 4 for a week or so, just before xmas, so schools were closed by that point, just in time for the one day covid spreadathon.

Saw a post on Twitter from someone saying an 'essential' Dessert shop/cafe was open in their tier 4 area, people queued up on the pavement outside, in winter. Madness. I know people have got rent to pay, the business has outgoings they can't prevent, but.... really? In a pandemic?

lipsink

jobotic

Quote from: bomb_dog on January 04, 2021, 09:42:20 PM
We've only been tier 4 for a week or so, just before xmas, so schools were closed by that point, just in time for the one day covid spreadathon.

Saw a post on Twitter from someone saying an 'essential' Dessert shop/cafe was open in their tier 4 area, people queued up on the pavement outside, in winter. Madness. I know people have got rent to pay, the business has outgoings they can't prevent, but.... really? In a pandemic?

That's why I keep going on about vape shops. They're open here for click and collect. 1075 cases per 100000

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 04, 2021, 09:09:22 PM
we're about to roll out wastewater sampling in prisons. GET BACK IN THERE!

Don't know what that is but it sounds gross so NO SHAN'T. Seriously though what is it?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on January 04, 2021, 09:51:09 PM
Don't know what that is but it sounds gross so NO SHAN'T. Seriously though what is it?

We're due to be testing critical infrastructure, food supply, prisons etc for the virus in wastewater

jobotic

Alot of people on social media saying "the first lockdown didn't work, so why are we trying again"

I thought the purpose of the first lockdown was to "flatten the curve" and in that sense, it worked?

earl_sleek

A lot of people don't have the first clue about what lockdowns are meant to achieve, why schools and WFH are so important, how the virus is transmitted etc. It can be infuriating but the government has done such a shit job of communicating these things, no wonder people are confused and ignoring best practices.

I do think it should be legal to savagely beat anyone wearing a mask on their chin, though. Either wear it or don't.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

March lockdown worked

Tier system didn't work
November lockdown wasn't a lockdown
Then the tier system still didn't work

Just repeat that over and over, in fact make it a fun game. See who wants to die of hearing it or die of Covid.

Ian Benson

Yeah, lockdown's work. People can look at those graphs and see that there's a peak a couple of weeks after lockdown starts and then it drops away. When we're not in lockdown the numbers go up again. I think this lockdown will be the least effective one because people are bored of lockdowns. According to the nice man who works in the nearby 24 hour shop, five percent of his customers wear masks. He used to ask them to wear a mask but they invariably ended up explaining to him in an irate manner that masks don't work for absolutely ages so he has just given up. People also ignored the two in a shop at a time policy/sign as soon as the restrictions eased so it's often rammo and anytime he's tried to get that back on track he's been lectured. A lot of people have told him that they can't wait in a queue because they're illegally parked. Hopefully nowhere else is like this otherwise we're fucked.

Ferris

Sending hugs. Hope everyone is hanging in there.

I'm not even being a sarcastic twat as usual.

Zetetic

Furloughing, self-employment grant, whatever - all still seems like a fucking unpredictable mess.

And as others have noted, a whole bunch of factors now make being furloughed or working from home considerably less attractive for individuals than it did in Spring & Summer 2020.

Blinder Data

the manchild can't get to the end of the sentence without a wee smirk. fatal incompetence and messaging and it's still a big game to him. the worst possible choice for PM at a time like this.

best of luck, everyone!