Author Topic: Basic AV setup  (Read 932 times)

Norton Canes

• Pick up the pace with your cracked-out face
Basic AV setup
« on: January 04, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »
So my department is looking to expand my role in the next few months to include basic video jobs such as recording marketing pieces to camera (i.e. videoing someone else talking to camera), video tours of our research facilities and getting nice panoramic shots of campus. Apparently they're willing to put some budget towards the purchase of equipment but they need to know from me what will be required. Unfortunately I've not done this sort of thing before, so I'm not sure. My predecessor in the role used to use a DSLR camera to video people occasionally but it looked like quite a clunky setup. Am I right that actual 'camcorders' are a thing of the past now? And that a lot of this stuff can be done with a smartphone? I've seen the guys from the marketing department using a smartphone on one of those gyro-enabled handle things to get shots on the move.

Anyway basically, what constitutes a 'basic' AV setup these days? Simple is good, I'm not trying to be [insert name of favourite avant garde film director here]

Re: Basic AV setup
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:20:17 PM »
Yeah, you're probably fine using a phone camera. You could even edit the finished video on it.

Your main worries are likely to be noise, both visual and auditory, so some lights and a microphone would be handy. Then again, my phone is old and crap - a top of the line one might produce decent footage without them.

Tags: