Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:24:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Basic AV setup

Started by Norton Canes, January 04, 2021, 03:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

So my department is looking to expand my role in the next few months to include basic video jobs such as recording marketing pieces to camera (i.e. videoing someone else talking to camera), video tours of our research facilities and getting nice panoramic shots of campus. Apparently they're willing to put some budget towards the purchase of equipment but they need to know from me what will be required. Unfortunately I've not done this sort of thing before, so I'm not sure. My predecessor in the role used to use a DSLR camera to video people occasionally but it looked like quite a clunky setup. Am I right that actual 'camcorders' are a thing of the past now? And that a lot of this stuff can be done with a smartphone? I've seen the guys from the marketing department using a smartphone on one of those gyro-enabled handle things to get shots on the move.

Anyway basically, what constitutes a 'basic' AV setup these days? Simple is good, I'm not trying to be [insert name of favourite avant garde film director here]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Yeah, you're probably fine using a phone camera. You could even edit the finished video on it.

Your main worries are likely to be noise, both visual and auditory, so some lights and a microphone would be handy. Then again, my phone is old and crap - a top of the line one might produce decent footage without them.