Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Margaret Ferrier arrested over COVID breach

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 04, 2021, 07:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Independent MP Maragret Ferrier has been arrested by Police Scotland, who say she has been charged in connection with "alleged culpable and reckless conduct".

QuoteThe Rutherglen and Hamilton West MP said she had experienced "mild symptoms" and taken a test, but had then decided to travel to Westminster because she was "feeling much better".

She then travelled home again on a train after receiving the positive test result, and said she "deeply regretted" her actions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55537974

I know we discussed this at the time but I have very little sympathy for Ferrier - she could surely have dialled into the House of Commons via video conferencing rather than travel to London with COVID symptoms, and I would imagine that like most MPs she has a London residence where she could have isolated once she got a positive test rather than get the train back (if not surely one of the other SNP members could have arranged something if she had told them at the time, or even the Speaker).

It would be interesting to see if any other high-profile people who have breached coronavirus regulations face police action.

I note her constituency association asked her to resign her seat but she refused - I suspect she will lose her seat at the next election. The SNP were right to suspend her in my view. I do wonder how many people she infected - even wearing a face mask I imagine there would be some transmission on a journey of over 5 hours with two Tube and 2 rail changes. Maybe she just didn't think and panicked though, maybe I'm being too judgemental.

I doubt she will go to prison, maybe a fine and a suspended sentence at the most.

jamiefairlie

If Galloway isn't then the police are a sick joke. What about the fucking royals too?

Fambo Number Mive

What did Galloway do? Am looking online but just get loads of stories about Dumfries and Galloway.

Junket Pumper

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 04, 2021, 08:24:18 PM
What did Galloway do? Am looking online but just get loads of stories about Dumfries and Galloway.

He went to a footy match during lockdown I think. Really out of character for him to be so arrogant and lacking in self awareness

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18983769.football-fan-groups-hit-george-galloway-attends-match-mid-covid/

jamiefairlie

And boasted about crossing the border illegally before he did it.

Junket Pumper

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 04, 2021, 08:29:32 PM
And boasted about crossing the border illegally before he did it.

I didn't see that. Doesn't surprise me though

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 04, 2021, 07:56:13 PM
I note her constituency association asked her to resign her seat but she refused - I suspect she will lose her seat at the next election. The SNP were right to suspend her in my view. I do wonder how many people she infected - even wearing a face mask I imagine there would be some transmission on a journey of over 5 hours with two Tube and 2 rail changes. Maybe she just didn't think and panicked though, maybe I'm being too judgemental.

I doubt she will go to prison, maybe a fine and a suspended sentence at the most.
I was thinking that she'll surely have to resign if she's convicted. Then I remembered the career of Eric Joyce MP: drink driving conviction in 2010 resulted in him resigning from Labour shadow cabinet, then charged with assault in 2012 he finally quit the Labour Party, but stayed on as an MP till he lost in 2015. Prison for Ferrier is unlikely, but community service would be good; I suspect she might get off with a fine that she can pay with ease. Galloway obviously will show even less contrition.

Blinder Data

I think she needs to stay an MP for two years before she gets any redundancy benefits, so she's clinging on. she's not SNP anymore so she can do what she likes

Uncle TechTip

Has anyone gone to prison for breaking lockdown regulations yet? It seems a bit perverse. I too think it's highly unlikely she'll go to prison, like anyone else.

George Oscar Bluth II

No-one has gone to prison that I know of but police were boasting about the number of £10,000 fines they dished out on New Year's Eve

Junket Pumper

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 05, 2021, 01:03:18 AM
Has anyone gone to prison for breaking lockdown regulations yet? It seems a bit perverse. I too think it's highly unlikely she'll go to prison, like anyone else.

Piers Corbyn seems to be trying his best, he's been arrested a couple of times for it. If he isn't jailed I doubt anyone will be at this point

The roofer who travelled to the Isle of Man on a jet-ski to see his girlfriend was jailed, but got let out after a couple of weeks.

Interesting that Ferrier has been charged with a common law offence rather than any breach of regulations - I don't think she can complain, but I didn't see Prince Charles being charged for travelling to Balmoral in March when he had Covid symptoms.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on January 05, 2021, 06:32:41 PM
The roofer who travelled to the Isle of Man on a jet-ski to see his girlfriend was jailed, but got let out after a couple of weeks.

the Isle of Man is pretty hot on this stuff because they completely eliminated covid in June

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Junket Pumper on January 05, 2021, 05:52:06 PM
Piers Corbyn seems to be trying his best, he's been arrested a couple of times for it. If he isn't jailed I doubt anyone will be at this point
The police are normally pretty quick about slapping injunctions on protestors so if they go anywhere near a future protest, they're slapped in jail. I wonder if they've consciously decided not to martyr Piers, but it would be a break from how they handle climate protestors, etc.