Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

follow the reaper (into grave (alex laiho dead))

Started by idunnosomename, January 04, 2021, 08:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

some of you may care. for me this was just a big "WHAT THE FUCK".

he disbanded from the band he founded in 2019 so the future for CoB was a bit murky. but for him to just just pop off at 41... no age.

I came to them a bit late, but way above any other nordic melodeath imo. bit of an in-between band really, never properly mainstream, but never really extreme either. but still, listen to those solos in Needled 24/7. rips.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/04/alexi-laiho-frontman-of-metal-band-children-of-bodom-dies-aged-41

The Mollusk

Wow fucking hell. They are a total dogshit band and his vocals and lyrics suck but I absolutely railed fuck out of their first few albums when I was properly getting into metal about 15-20 years ago. This is sad news.

Noodle Lizard

Oh shit, wasn't expecting to hear something like this - although it's also not especially surprising, I suppose.
I met Alexi twice, and I won't bother giving my impression of him since the poor cunt's just died, but I was into CoB for a little while in my teenage years. Like The Mollusk, they were one of my introductory bands to that sort of thing and one of the few from that subgenre to attain something approaching "proper" fame. Unfortunately, they also behaved that way and were often clearly fucked up on stage, which doesn't lend itself well to music that relied heavily on clean, competent guitar work. I must've seen them live at least 5 times and unfortunately they got worse each time. Still, they served their purpose, and Laiho was absolutely a talented guitarist. What a shame.

idunnosomename

his guitar work on the albums is fucking great, and I kinda appreciate their obviously silly tongue-in-cheek lyrics rather than trying to do a load of sincere kvlt pagan terrors stuff. wish I'd come to it all in the noughties honestly. i did go to Finnfest headed by Demilich last year (ahhhh remember gigs) where I saw literally no Bodom t-shirts, so uncool they are with the extreme metal fanbase.

but

QuoteLOAD THE SIXPOUNDER

*six six six*
POUNDER

glorious fucking nonsense. love it, sorry. they're just like Helloween to me really. turbo-charged silliness

Noodle Lizard

Even though he/they can't necessarily take credit for it, this symphonic tribute someone shared today was surprisingly good and showcases how classically proficient some of the compositions were. You could easily imagine it scoring a Lord of the Ring or a Pirate of the Caribbean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAOIKzI_A8

idunnosomename

I've been listening to them from the start today obvs and I'm not sure if I've heard Something Wild before but the opening of Red Light in My Eyes in Mozart's little G minor symphony (opening of Amadeus, also quoted in Savatage's Dead Winter Dead). Bach in there too.