Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,399
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kurosawa

Started by Chedney Honks, January 04, 2021, 10:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Chedney Honks

I thought you were ripping the middlebrow tier commentary.

Chedney Honks

I'm also quite sensitive at the moment. Sorry.

Twit 2

Well, I was being semi-facetious, as I thought you'd appreciate that sort of humour. On the other hand, your views on Kurosawa are correct, and it did used to genuinely be possible to fall out of Fopp with an armful of Kieslowski and be richer for it.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Twit 2 on January 07, 2021, 05:42:09 PM
Well, I was being semi-facetious, as I thought you'd appreciate that sort of humour

Frosty.

Chedney Honks

Well, I was being semi-facetious, as I thought you'd appreciate that sort of humour. On the other hand, your views on Kurosawa are correct, and it did used to genuinely be possible to fall out of Fopp with an armful of Kieslowski and be richer for it.

Under normal circumstances, I'd have been grinning and sizzling at the gentle wickedness. Not that playful at the moment. I could stand at a Gatling gun and watch people end but that's about my level of interaction.

Shit Good Nose

There are very very few AK films I don't like (although, much as I love it and think it is a bona fide masterpiece, I freely admit that 7 or 8 times out of 10 I'd choose The Magnificent Seven over Seven Samurai), but it's Kagemusha at the very top for me.  And absolutely immense film, especially the original Japanese version (available on the Criterion disc - LONG overdue UK release on the way in the next couple of months).

The consensus is that there's a big AK box set on the way from at least Criterion, possibly in addition to or even a joint venture with the BFI.  It's all hearsay at the moment, but several people in the know have been hinting at it for the last 6 months or so.

Chedney Honks

I'd love a big Kurosawa boxset, so I'll hold off picking any more up for now but defo interested in the Kagemusha. It's another I watched probably fifteen years ago and it definitely left an emotional impression even if I can't remember an awful lot about it.

Can't tell you how much I loved Yojimbo the other night. It's one I'd watched and really enjoyed before but I was completely gripped this time round, even across two nights! I'm going to try to sell it to my wife, as well, because I fancy seeing it again.

timebug

'Kagemusha' impressed the shite out of  me when I first saw it. Likewise 'Ran', which okay, was King Lear in an altered (and much better)version. 'Rashomon' was the absolute dog's bollocks on first viewing,and everything I have seen of  his improves on repeated viewing.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: timebug on January 10, 2021, 10:01:52 AM
'Ran', which okay, was King Lear in an altered (and much better)version.

After she took us all to see a five-fucking hour performance of Hamlet by the RSC B-team with an hour long Q&A afterwards, I said to my GCSE English teacher that Ran and Strange Brew were examples of how Shakespeare SHOULD be done.  She wasn't happy with that and I'm sure she marked all of my subsequent work down just for making that comment.

greenman

I seem to remember reading some talk about Ran getting a UHD release, Studiocannel own the rights to it in Europe and they tend to be leading the way in terms of non obvious UHD releases so it doesn't seem impossible.

Does seem like it would be well suited to it with all those bright colours, especially the reds.

rjd2

Only seen a few of his films, but seven samurai blew me away.  High and Low the best of the rest as easily the best non American crime film I have ever seen.

About to watch Hidden Fortress so fingers crossed!

Is Stray Dog any use? I read its got a Noir vibe.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: rjd2 on January 10, 2021, 09:54:31 PM
Is Stray Dog any use? I read its got a Noir vibe.

Stray Dog is ace. 

GoblinAhFuckScary

'Kagemusha' impressed the shite out of  me when I first saw it.

Nice. Think I might watch tomorrow

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 07, 2021, 05:35:46 PM
I'm also quite sensitive at the moment. Sorry.

I fell over on the ice the other day, if that makes you feel any better.

Waking Life

'Rashomon' was the absolute dog's bollocks on first viewing,and everything I have seen of  his improves on repeated viewing.

That's not the way I remember it.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Waking Life on January 11, 2021, 04:10:39 PM
That's not the way I remember it.

Extreme respect for the audacity.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on January 11, 2021, 12:59:47 AM
I fell over on the ice the other day, if that makes you feel any better.

Cheers, mate. It actually does. I'm totally living off schadenfreude these days.

Pink Gregory

The amount of times that I could have picked up 3 absolutely incredible world cinema dvds for a fucking tenner and I didn't.  I never thought the good times would end.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 11, 2021, 05:44:11 PMCheers, mate. It actually does.

Thought that might lift your spirits :D
My rucksack took the brunt of it so I only squashed my sandwich, but I'll try and lean into it more for ya next time and loose a tooth at least.

Chedney Honks

I actually wouldn't want that for you, but maybe if you just squished a Jaffa Cake or something.

rjd2

Quote from: rjd2 on January 10, 2021, 09:54:31 PM

About to watch Hidden Fortress so fingers crossed!

Someone in an other thread pointed out over the top laughing and yes this film has this. Its not elite Kurosaka but B+ for sure.

wasp_f15ting

I have never actually seen Seventh Samurai.. so this weekend is going to be fun :)

Chedney Honks

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on January 13, 2021, 09:37:08 AM
I have never actually seen Seventh Samurai.. so this weekend is going to be fun :)

It's not as good as the first six.

Chedney Honks

'Kagemusha' impressed the shite out of  me when I first saw it. Likewise 'Ran', which okay, was King Lear in an altered (and much better)version. 'Rashomon' was the absolute dog's bollocks on first viewing,and everything I have seen of  his improves on repeated viewing.

Kagemusha is getting a Criterion release in a couple of months, just pre-ordered it, can't wait to see it again. It's been about fifteen years.

rjd2

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 10, 2021, 10:49:26 PM
Stray Dog is ace.

Just watched on Youtube earlier. Banger.

Now to track down The Bad Sleep Well ( I'm such a pleb I only heard of this earlier) and Drunken Angel both of which are supposedly also Noir.

Lost Oliver

Ran is incredible. So too Ikiru.

Chris Marker's documentary is worth a watch toot. What a guy (both of them).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: rjd2 on January 18, 2021, 01:18:33 AM
Now to track down The Bad Sleep Well ( I'm such a pleb I only heard of this earlier) and Drunken Angel both of which are supposedly also Noir.

Both also crackers.