Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:30:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad film culture (and your recommendations)

Started by dr_christian_troy, January 04, 2021, 10:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

I've been finding the likes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Red Letter Media's Best Of The Worst series strangely comforting during the madness of the last year.

In the midst of all of this, you have The Room, Birdemic, Things, Suburban Sasquatch, Goat Story, Samurai Cop, the IMDB bottom list, various YouTube review channels etc. The thing is, it's actually a bottomless pit. I'm always on the hunt for these kind of films. I couldn't tell you why precisely. It reminds me of the days pre-streaming, pre-DVD even - when you could "Indiana Jones" a visit to the VHS store and find some pure gold that no one ever talks about - and yet, even in a culture arguably over-saturated, there always seems to be something in the pit worth investigating.

In this respect, with the knowledge that there are always these kinds of films of yesteryear (and a few modern films out there without any self-awareness) out there, I would be very interested to see which films fellow CaBbers may have seen that would recommend for pure unadulterated escapism - both entertaining and utterly shoddy?

I'm aware that these kind of requests can lead to a few obvious recommendations - but amidst those, there are almost always a few recommendations of utter absurdity and obscurity that shine through too.

To be honest, independently-released VHS-taped instructional guides and other obscura is very much welcome too.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: C_Larence on January 04, 2021, 11:08:55 PM
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,84040.0.html

A similar recent thread should hold some recommendations for you.

Ah dang, I've been in and out for a while so didn't see the existing thread already. Thank you!