Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Supermarket Maskless Proposal

Started by Chedney Honks, January 05, 2021, 12:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Could supermarkets pivot to a 'click and collect at the door' service for people who can't or won't wear a mask?

They could provide little stations like Argos where people go and order, and then just wait to have their shit handed to them? Kind of like the current click and collect but express.

If you can't order online for whatever reason, you can do it at one of the stations basically, and then someone brings your shit.

If you won't wear a mask, this is a layer of inconvenience that might convince you to do so if you want to do your own shopping. Either way, you're not getting in without a mask or you get a fucking bayonet in your mouth.

I saw a cunt walking round with mask round his neck eating a pie yesterday with his maskless missus and cunt junior and I just thought probably better if they're dead or not at least not in the shop.

Could this be done?

Captain Z

What you're proposing is 'click and collect', isn't it? Asda and Sainsbury's already do it - you order online then drive up to a collect point in the car park.

Cuellar

I think there should be kiosks set up in towns where people who won't wear a mask can queue up to have their shit handed to them yes

DoesNotFollow

Kick (in your mask-refusing face) and Collect (your teeth from the floor).

George Oscar Bluth II

A friend of mine got called "a cunt" for looking at someone going maskless in the supermarket the other day.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Do all these anti-maskers have similar objections to wearing seatbelts?

SpiderChrist

Gas engineer came to fit a new boiler the other day. He said:

"You don't need me to wear a mask, do you? I'm not bothered about all that bullshit."

"Well, you're not coming in without one."

"Really?"

"Yes. Same goes for your mate in the van."

Stupid fucking wanker. I reported him to the letting agency for extreme cuntitude.

Pink Gregory

I got that from a delivery driver very early into the first lockdown, something along the lines of 'Don't worry, I've had it already"

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Crazy. Sky sent me a link to a video explaining what I had to do before and during their engineer's visit to keep us both safe. Guy showed up in a mask and gloves.

thenoise

Hand them some actual shit. That's whats for dinner fart face.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 05, 2021, 02:11:34 PM

There were people who objected when wearing a seatbelt was made compulsory, and you can bet they were exactly the same mentality.

El Unicornio, mang

Probably the types who regularly post those "when I was a kid we didn't wear bicycle helmets, we played on building sites, set fire to the carpet, drank lead-based paint, etc and we turned out fine" memes on facebook.

NoSleep

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 05, 2021, 02:11:34 PM

I think the analogy of blackout during the blitz in WWII is a better one, where others' safety is put at risk by your own refusal to stop illuminating your home.

Even somebody who's "had it" could still transmit it if they've touched something infected recently.

Pink Gregory

Saw some maskless white dreadlock types leaving Sainsbury's and loudly proclaiming 'this is bullshit...I want to see some deaths!' and do you know what I felt similarly.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: NoSleep on January 06, 2021, 01:01:45 PM
I think the analogy of blackout during the blitz in WWII is a better one, where others' safety is put at risk by your own refusal to stop illuminating your home setting the roof on fire.
Even more accurate.

NoSleep

Except you can't will yourself into having Covid.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 06, 2021, 11:51:51 AM
There were people who objected when wearing a seatbelt was made compulsory, and you can bet they were exactly the same mentality.

Still a thing in certain us states I think.

Blinder Data

Has anyone had any contretemps/misunderstandings in shops due to masks?

In my local shop I was waiting to be served at the counter when I heard someone behind me angrily complain about waiting 15 minutes to buy a bottle of water. I turned around to confirm who the complainer was and see if he was creating any bother, and saw a bloke who might have been the guy, but all he did was look back at me blankly. So maybe it wasn't him? I must have held his gaze for a couple of seconds too long for his liking as he started the "you looking at me, punk?" routine. I asked him if there was a problem in a totally non-aggressive manner (natch), but according to him I was the aggressor for staring at him, so I promptly exited the shop fizzing with adrenaline and indignation.

Anyway, if he wasn't wearing a mask, not only would I have quickly ascertained he was the complaining cunt with minimal staring, I would've been able to read his facial reactions to see what kind of mood he was in and establish whether or not he was a mad cunt that was worth ignoring. Also, my response might have been interpreted more charitably if he could see my gorgeous smile.

In hindsight, I should've told him to wait 15 minutes for his turn to die on a ventilator but masks, eh? Ya gotta love 'em

flotemysost

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 05, 2021, 02:12:17 PM
Gas engineer came to fit a new boiler the other day. He said:

"You don't need me to wear a mask, do you? I'm not bothered about all that bullshit."

"Well, you're not coming in without one."

"Really?"

"Yes. Same goes for your mate in the van."

Stupid fucking wanker. I reported him to the letting agency for extreme cuntitude.

Urghh. I've had numerous plumbing/heating problems in the flat I moved to recently, which means the past couple of months have been a steady stream of various workmen coming and going. As a tenant obviously I have no say in arranging who gets sent out, it's up to the landlord, and it's been pretty stressful not knowing exactly what personal policy each person might have on the old 'rona.

Even the Plusnet installation guy rocked up sans mask, similar exchange to the above -

"Do you have a mask?"
"Ahh no, sorry, left it at the office."
"Well I'm going to give you one of mine before you come in."

He had to come back a while later to check something and he was wearing a disposable mask this time, but promptly yanked it round his chin when he started work. (And I never got my one back. It was a nice one too.)

I'm really hesitant to criticise the conduct of any frontline worker because I'm not in that position and I feel like a right knob ordering people about as they work, but the way things are at the moment you surely have to be a bit of a cunt to deliberately dismiss mask wearing in someone else's home.

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 08, 2021, 11:25:22 PM
Has anyone had any contretemps/misunderstandings in shops due to masks?

Not really but I am getting ID'd for booze a lot more frequently, which is always a bit of a novelty these days.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not getting id'd for booze which is a little disappointing. Clearly they can tell just by my eyes.

Do you lot wear masks when you have workies in? My letting agent sent round a GAS MAN and someone to check the alarms/PAT test stuff. They were both very professional - masks/distanced etc but I must confess as they both sort-of caught me off guard (turning up early/indeterminate times) I just sort of just answered the door and let them get on with it without thinking to put one on.

Actually thinking about it, the PAT tester turned up about 15 minutes early and woke me up so I was half asleep, I definitely invaded their space as I made a coffee and they were stood in front of my mug cupboard, filling in a notepad and I just blearily reached over them. That was kind of cunty on my part really.

Dex Sawash

Your flat would be fully aerosolized with your vid, I think a last minute mask wouldn't make any difference unless the person was staying along time. I am the leading expert on this, btw.

olliebean

Definitely open windows/doors to get a through draught if any workman spends a significant amount of time in your home. You'll probably freeze to death but at least you probably won't get the 'ViD.

flotemysost

Yep. They sent a guy round to replace the cooker last week and I kept the window cranked wide for the full 4-5 hours he was here, plus a while after he'd left - I felt a bit bad and he did keep hinting that was cold, but he can warm up when he gets home. He won't be able to shake the plague by sticking on a jumper.

Also for my own sake, it's a small studio flat so there's not really anywhere for me to escape anyone's lil' droppies, they'd be settling on my bed and everything, not taking any chances (any hard surfaces/anywhere he definitely touched got blitzed with Dettol afterwards, obviously).

Uncle TechTip

Did everyone stop washing their shopping, then?

flotemysost

I'm no expert but I think the general consensus is that surface transmission is nowhere near as much of a risk as being around people - as long as you're washing your hands in between touching potentially contaminated surfaces and your face/mouth (and you're not licking your grocery packaging), you're probably alright. Can understand why it might be more of a priority for, say, parents with young kids who put everything in their mouths.

If I'm gonna use something that same day (especially if it's something where the contents might partly touch the outside of the packaging - e.g. pouring liquid from a glass bottle) then I'll give it a soapy rinse under the tap, but I'm no longer obsessively wiping everything down the instant it comes in the flat [insert wanking joke]

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 09, 2021, 04:48:32 PM
I'm not getting id'd for booze which is a little disappointing. Clearly they can tell just by my eyes.

Yeah, disappointed that they can apparently tell even if I'm wearing a mask, hat, and spectacles that I'm old. Or maybe I look like I really need a drink.

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 10, 2021, 02:07:56 AM
Did everyone stop washing their shopping, then?

I've stopped wiping it down but I'm trying to be better with general food hygiene: washing hands before and after handling ingredients while cooking, washing hands between food prep and eating, washing veggies and stuff thoroughly, cooking rather than eating raw if I'm worried about contamination. (My local cool hipster greengrocer has a cash-only policy, which I'm not really happy with, but leaving veggies in the fridge for a day or 2 should help - even Asda seems to have quite a lot of loose, unpackaged stuff, which is probably more of a risk in view of the number of customers.)

The Bumlord

The slightly unusual girl in Waitrose makes me take off my mask when buying booze, despite the obviously elderly man with a grey beard underneath.

Edit: That's me, not a tiny man hiding 'neath my mask

sirhenry

Morrisons won't take it any more: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55618408

At least come Monday they won't, so that's a start...

Sebastian Cobb

Anecdotally, Morrisons seemed way worse than the Lidl over the road for people not wearing masks, despite having a guard dressed like a copper out front.

lazyhour

Quote from: sirhenry on January 11, 2021, 04:10:06 PM
Morrisons won't take it any more: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55618408

At least come Monday they won't, so that's a start...

Unfortunately it won't make a blind bit of difference, as you can just say those two magic words: "I'm exempt".

From the Independent:

"The government advice on exemption cards, last updated in December, says: "If you have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering: you do not routinely need to show any written evidence of this, you do not need show an exemption card.

"This means that you do not need to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about your reason for not wearing a face covering," it says. "Carrying an exemption card or badge is a personal choice and is not required by law.""

So literally nothing can compel a twat to wear a mask if they are able to simply state with their flapping twat mouths "I'm exempt".