Author Topic: Doom metal  (Read 5328 times)

Re: Doom metal
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2021, 03:47:57 PM »
enjoyed Fister.

Batushka are black metal. There's a big controversy about them and now two bands with the moniker. They were the last band playing on the first day of Brutal Assault a few years ago, I got up at 4am to get to the Czech Republic and get to the festival and obv had a couple of drinks, and I was amped about seeing Batuskha but knew it would be a long day. I remember Batushka taking the stage at like 1am the next day, and then my next memory is the venue staff waking me up as I had fallen asleep on the festival floor. But I saw em in Manchester shortly afterwards.

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2021, 08:10:30 PM »
Batushka are basically black metal - lots of trem picking and that - but they might be of interest to this thread because of the long-form atmospheric vibe. I saw them in Manchester last year just before lockdown. They are really good, big concept albums based on the liturgy of the Orthodox church (basically with "God" changed to "me" afaik) and all lyrics entoned in old Church Slavonic.

But really, only listen to the releases by Krzysztof "Derph" Drabikowski:
Litourgiya
Panihida

Former vocalist Bartłomiej Krysiuk basically stole the name and it's an ongoing court case in Poland, but he's releasing as much stuff as he can in the meantime, total cunt. His albums range from ok to total shit so you're not missing anything, stick to Derph's stuff

also Derph caught the fucking COVID, poor guy. just as well I didn't shake his hand a year ago eh readers

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2021, 01:23:23 PM »
I just heard the first album by The Body, who are listed as "experimental metal" but I think they'd fit in here quite nicely. Just a large, slow, oppressive sound, and I really like the sorts of sounds they create.

I feel bad because I wish I'd been more clued into this stuff before, it ticks so many boxes for me.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2021, 01:49:09 PM »
I just heard the first album by The Body, who are listed as "experimental metal" but I think they'd fit in here quite nicely. Just a large, slow, oppressive sound, and I really like the sorts of sounds they create.

I feel bad because I wish I'd been more clued into this stuff before, it ticks so many boxes for me.

Nags started a thread about them as well, check that out.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=85045.0

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2021, 03:33:50 PM »
That's not for The Body, though, but for still-haven't-heard-them Show Me The Body. Unless that's the joke. I still feel a bit groggy this morning.

I am sadly unequipped with the ability to break down excellent music that so many CaBbers have, but this lot have something special about them.

Dirty Boy

• We awful awful crawl
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2021, 07:00:14 PM »
^ i was going to say, it's two different bands dude.

I might be getting my genres mixed up, but i've been listening to a lot of Celtic Frost lately who seem to be a prime exponent of the old doomy metalising (I remember liking Sepultura's cover of Procreation Of The Wicked donkeys years ago, but for some reason never  followed up on them).

To Mega Therion in particular is heavy and forward thinking  in a way that puts it ahead of most 80's metal that isn't Voivod.  Tom G Warrior's latest band Triptykon are blowing my lid as well, particularly this mammoth. Heavy as.

More recently, i've been enjoying the musical group Wallowing. Doomy, sludgy and trippy. Sounds better with mushrooms.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2021, 08:25:31 PM »
Sorry folks, it even specifies in the first line of the other thread it's NOT THEM! I am a proud fool.

I think that Sepultura's cover of Procreation, with the Ross Robinson Roots production, Max's crazy peeking-through-an-interdimensional-vortex vocals, and Igor sitting so deep into the groove that he actually plays a liiiiittle bit out of time, is the heaviest song ever released.

However, Frost's own comeback LP Monotheist is probably the most satisfyingly heavy album I can think of. Just an absence of light altogether. Check out A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh and Ain Elohim for the two ends of the horror/speed scale. If you like Triptykon you'll like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6RXTjm4iA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_r4mD9fHVU

Old Frost rules too, but Monotheist is the masterpiece, for me.

Tags: