Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doom metal

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 05, 2021, 05:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

enjoyed Fister.

Batushka are black metal. There's a big controversy about them and now two bands with the moniker. They were the last band playing on the first day of Brutal Assault a few years ago, I got up at 4am to get to the Czech Republic and get to the festival and obv had a couple of drinks, and I was amped about seeing Batuskha but knew it would be a long day. I remember Batushka taking the stage at like 1am the next day, and then my next memory is the venue staff waking me up as I had fallen asleep on the festival floor. But I saw em in Manchester shortly afterwards.

idunnosomename

Batushka are basically black metal - lots of trem picking and that - but they might be of interest to this thread because of the long-form atmospheric vibe. I saw them in Manchester last year just before lockdown. They are really good, big concept albums based on the liturgy of the Orthodox church (basically with "God" changed to "me" afaik) and all lyrics entoned in old Church Slavonic.

But really, only listen to the releases by Krzysztof "Derph" Drabikowski:
Litourgiya
Panihida

Former vocalist Bartłomiej Krysiuk basically stole the name and it's an ongoing court case in Poland, but he's releasing as much stuff as he can in the meantime, total cunt. His albums range from ok to total shit so you're not missing anything, stick to Derph's stuff

also Derph caught the fucking COVID, poor guy. just as well I didn't shake his hand a year ago eh readers

Famous Mortimer

I just heard the first album by The Body, who are listed as "experimental metal" but I think they'd fit in here quite nicely. Just a large, slow, oppressive sound, and I really like the sorts of sounds they create.

I feel bad because I wish I'd been more clued into this stuff before, it ticks so many boxes for me.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 05, 2021, 01:23:23 PM
I just heard the first album by The Body, who are listed as "experimental metal" but I think they'd fit in here quite nicely. Just a large, slow, oppressive sound, and I really like the sorts of sounds they create.

I feel bad because I wish I'd been more clued into this stuff before, it ticks so many boxes for me.

Nags started a thread about them as well, check that out.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=85045.0

Famous Mortimer

That's not for The Body, though, but for still-haven't-heard-them Show Me The Body. Unless that's the joke. I still feel a bit groggy this morning.

I am sadly unequipped with the ability to break down excellent music that so many CaBbers have, but this lot have something special about them.

Dirty Boy

^ i was going to say, it's two different bands dude.

I might be getting my genres mixed up, but i've been listening to a lot of Celtic Frost lately who seem to be a prime exponent of the old doomy metalising (I remember liking Sepultura's cover of Procreation Of The Wicked donkeys years ago, but for some reason never  followed up on them).

To Mega Therion in particular is heavy and forward thinking  in a way that puts it ahead of most 80's metal that isn't Voivod.  Tom G Warrior's latest band Triptykon are blowing my lid as well, particularly this mammoth. Heavy as.

More recently, i've been enjoying the musical group Wallowing. Doomy, sludgy and trippy. Sounds better with mushrooms.

Magnum Valentino

Sorry folks, it even specifies in the first line of the other thread it's NOT THEM! I am a proud fool.

I think that Sepultura's cover of Procreation, with the Ross Robinson Roots production, Max's crazy peeking-through-an-interdimensional-vortex vocals, and Igor sitting so deep into the groove that he actually plays a liiiiittle bit out of time, is the heaviest song ever released.

However, Frost's own comeback LP Monotheist is probably the most satisfyingly heavy album I can think of. Just an absence of light altogether. Check out A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh and Ain Elohim for the two ends of the horror/speed scale. If you like Triptykon you'll like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6RXTjm4iA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_r4mD9fHVU

Old Frost rules too, but Monotheist is the masterpiece, for me.

Famous Mortimer

Esoteric and their album "Metamorphogenesis" is getting a spin this morning, and it's a bobby dazzler.

One of the comments from earlier in this thread has got me thinking, though - like, what sticks in the mind after an album is done? For me, aside from the fact that the "artist picture" in my media player of choice (MusicBee) is not the band,  but a fellow who I'm guessing is a rapper or DJ or something of that sort, it's that the singer of this band has got quite the range of odd sounds coming out of him. I like it. And the music is great too.

Shaky

I've only just discovered extremely prolific Louisiana sludge/doom titans Thou, and they're blowing my goddam socks off. While crushingly slow and heavy, they're very versatile, thoughtful and have evolved a lot since starting in 2005 with folk and rock influences coming to the fore on more recent releases. Myriad interesting splits and collabs with other artists too. The first "new" metal band in ages I've wanted to completely devour.

Big grunge influence too (more Alice in Chains than Pearl Jam, mind), and their insanely heavy Nirvana covers album is brilliant.

EDIT: RIP Eric Wagner. Wasn't very classy to ignore that.

Pink Gregory

Know who were/are good?

Eagle Twin.  Every time I hear the Unkindness of Crows I regret not appreciating it more.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shaky on August 24, 2021, 12:49:58 AM
I've only just discovered extremely prolific Louisiana sludge/doom titans Thou, and they're blowing my goddam socks off. While crushingly slow and heavy, they're very versatile, thoughtful and have evolved a lot since starting in 2005 with folk and rock influences coming to the fore on more recent releases. Myriad interesting splits and collabs with other artists too. The first "new" metal band in ages I've wanted to completely devour.
I got super into The Body recently, who did a split with Thou. Thank you to CaB for introducing me to both bands cos they're both fucking brilliant.

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Swoz_MK on August 23, 2021, 12:59:58 PM
Eric Wagner has died -
https://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2021/08/23/rest-in-peace-eric-wagner-of-trouble-and-the-skull-1959-2021/?fbclid=IwAR3mq_-qYmg-zkZrsDoHWSXNTPi66rX3iiVV26kM4aNksxyWX4hcS4Al6jY

RIP Eric Wagner - been listening to 'The Skull' today.
Sad that their last tour was with The Obsessed - an equally legendary doom ensemble but Wino is a selfish anti-vax prick & people like him may well have contributed to Wagner's death.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 24, 2021, 09:15:39 PM
I got super into The Body recently, who did a split with Thou. Thank you to CaB for introducing me to both bands cos they're both fucking brilliant.

the Body also collaborating with the excellent Big/Brave, record out soon

Not entirely surprised to learn this about Wino

The Mollusk

If you ever get the chance to see The Body live, do it. They're a pummelling force of nature.

Their two collaboration albums with experimental grindcore band Full of Hell (who are incredible in their own right) are among the best things they've done, in my opinion. Some really superb sonic textures in that work, they take me by surprise with every repeat listen.

Pink Gregory

Funny enough I had the chance years ago but for some reason Arabrot played for a full hour and I was too tired to stick around for the Body.

The Mollusk

Damn I wish I'd taken the opportunity to see Årabrot back then before they fully embraced the dull goth direction.

Shaky

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 25, 2021, 07:33:02 AM
Their two collaboration albums with experimental grindcore band Full of Hell (who are incredible in their own right) are among the best things they've done, in my opinion. Some really superb sonic textures in that work, they take me by surprise with every repeat listen.

Had a listen to One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache on the way home from work you're right, it's an absolute banger.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 25, 2021, 08:53:18 AM
Damn I wish I'd taken the opportunity to see Årabrot back then before they fully embraced the dull goth direction.
Dull? wash your mouth out. It's not as heavy as Solar Anus or the s/t, but i really like their latest album with all it's Siouxsie and Swans influence. I think Kjetil  has earned the right to do whatever he wants after all he's been through the past few years and the songs are still fucking great.

The Mollusk

Listened to Candlemass for the first time this week. Fuck me, "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" is absolutely incredible. The perfect ratio of cheesy/awesome in all of it, especially the vocals and lyrics. "Solitude" is genuinely the best thing I've heard in ages, I can't get it out of my head.

Looking to get more into the oldschool stuff. Checked out Cathedral and it's bizarre and trippy and heavy as fuck but the vocals aren't quite my cup of tea. Pentagram and Saint Vitus are next on the list if I can ever drag myself away from Candlemass. All suggestions welcome!

Pink Gregory

Do you know Goatsnake?  Not strictly doom but of a similarity

king_tubby

I do know Goatsnake. Have they got a new record out? I don't really pay much attention nowadays but I loved the last one.

Pink Gregory

Other than Black Age Blues you mean?

Not that I've heard of

I mention Goatsnake because they do a very 'eavy recording of St. Vitus' Burial at Sea that's worth looking at

Pink Gregory

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 11, 2021, 01:01:04 PMListened to Candlemass for the first time this week. Fuck me, "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" is absolutely incredible. The perfect ratio of cheesy/awesome in all of it, especially the vocals and lyrics. "Solitude" is genuinely the best thing I've heard in ages, I can't get it out of my head.

Looking to get more into the oldschool stuff. Checked out Cathedral and it's bizarre and trippy and heavy as fuck but the vocals aren't quite my cup of tea. Pentagram and Saint Vitus are next on the list if I can ever drag myself away from Candlemass. All suggestions welcome!

Maybe have a look also at the band that their second singer came out of - Solitude Aeturnus, if I'm not mistaken?

JaDanketies

Year of No Light stripped my soul away from its foundations at Damnation fest about a month ago. I've been a fan for ages but that was the first time I got to see them. I did kinda wonder what the stewards thought about all these people enjoying this wall of noise; they didn't seem to be nodding their heads at the right bits.

Pink Gregory

Ooh!  I saw them in 2015 but I'm not sure if I'd bother with that kind of long form stuff on record, or outside of a live setting these days.

Must have played an hour long set or something like that

chutnut

Doom metal was my favourite type of metal when I was a teenager, especially Southern Lord style stuff (did love a bit of black metal too though)
The Esoteric album mentioned above is proper epic

I'm surprised Boris haven't been mentioned yet, awesome and very versatile band. The most recent stuff I heard from them was pretty much pop music

A few others:

Bunkur - Bludgeon

Toadliquor - Feel My Hate - The Power Is The Weight - R.I.P. Cain

Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer

Anathema's first album

Famous Mortimer

A comedy show I like just recommended Primitive Man, and they're pretty good. Funeral doom, black metal and "noise" (not heard enough yet to hear the noise inspirations), and they did a split with my home town's own Fister a few years back.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 10, 2022, 03:38:26 PMA comedy show I like just recommended Primitive Man, and they're pretty good.

Hell yeah, they're dissonant and nasty as fuck. Proper punishing noise. They're touring this coming April with fellow freaks Uniform, should be great.

JaDanketies

Primitive Man also have good music videos, worth peeking at.