Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:13:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists that are never getting a positive criticial reappraisal

Started by George Oscar Bluth II, January 06, 2021, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Oscar Bluth II

Indian inspired prog-rock by a guy called, improbably, "Crispian"? No chance of a Kula Shaker revival is there.

You remember when Take That came back and critics were like "well, say what you like about Barlow's tax affairs but they had some decent songs didn't they". And it's true, they did. But Westlife? Unmitigated shite.

buttgammon

This is cheating, but Lostprophets. I recently made a nostalgic playlist of early 2000s pop punk etc to listen to while playing the new Tony Hawk remasters, and was amazed to see that their music is still on Apple Music.

Fr.Bigley

Fr.Bigley

the ouch cube

Hair metal (it's been reappraised """"ironically """"" but that doesn't count)

Neo-prog (I.e., Marillion and Pendragon rather than Van Der Graaf Generator or even The Floyd)

Happy hardcore and all its regional variants (can never remember what the Geordie one is called)

The Mollusk

Happy hardcore, makina, donk and all that stuff has had a heavy resurgence in the last decade. I know that's not strictly critical reappraisal but I wouldn't want to be associated with any publications covering that sort of music so whether it's been documented or not I couldn't be sure. But obviously you know it will have been because music journalism is a cesspool.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: the ouch cube on January 06, 2021, 12:01:37 PMHair metal (it's been reappraised """"ironically """"" but that doesn't count)

Neo-prog (I.e., Marillion and Pendragon rather than Van Der Graaf Generator or even The Floyd)

Happy hardcore and all its regional variants (can never remember what the Geordie one is called)

Oh good shouts. That said, prompted by this I just watched the 'bounce by the ounce' video and found myself thinking "looks pretty good actually doesn't it" but then any safe gathering of people looks pretty good in hindsight these days doesn't it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzP1XC51kro

Pink Gregory

Steel Panther are apparently still around and hopefully no cunt will ever look upon that glowingly; second wave ironic hair metal.  Grave.

Brundle-Fly

Phil_A

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on January 06, 2021, 11:06:53 AM
Anything by Bob Dylan

Dunno if you're joking but Dylan gets re-evaluated on a monthly basis by the classic rock press. There's no aspect of his career that hasn't been combed over by Uncut or Mojo in the last twenty-odd years.

Magnum Valentino

Limp Bizkit. Some great music permanently spoiled by arguably the worst front man ever.

Pink Gregory

Of all the landfill indie bands, let's agree to never feel nostalgic for the Kaiser Chiefs, eh?

Franz Ferdinand however, still quite good.

NoSleep

Fr.Bigley

Fr.Bigley

buttgammon

Razorlight - they were shit at the time and are now massively outdated to boot.

Dr Rock

pigamus

Apart from the cancelled people, everyone will have a positive critical appraisal, eventually, to some degree. I know of someone who likes The Ordinary Boys.

Captain Z

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on January 06, 2021, 01:54:50 PM
Vengaboys
Scooter
Howard from the Halifax ad.

Vengaboys had at least one decent production amongst their commercial output, it was an instrumental called Paradise and was played by many of the more respected trance/prog DJs of the time. I still occasionally see it pop up in classic sets now. It steals a well-used breakbeat loop, but is still very pleasant.

I recently re-evaluated Scooter when someone pointed out that, musically, they are sort-of a 2000s European version of The KLF.

Howard put out a drum n bass record on Hospital Records, and... actually I'm making that one up.

Icehaven

The New Grave genre. I know that sounds like a CaB injoke but it was real, lasted about a week in the late 90s and involved indie bands with a vaguely gothy look and at least one member with a heroin problem. Placebo were patient zero (and possibly the only band still widely remembered) but Mansun, Marion and These Animal Men were others. I very much liked all of them, particularly Mansun who I still love, but I can see history isn't going to be kind to them.

Levi

The Mollusk

Scooter's fucking excellent and if you doubt that at all you want your ears drilling

lazyhour

Quote from: icehaven on January 06, 2021, 08:52:57 PM
Placebo were patient zero (and possibly the only band still widely remembered) but Mansun, Marion and These Animal Men were others.

I thought These Animal Men were that other made-up genre (invented by Melody Maker, if I remember correctly) NWONW.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 06, 2021, 01:48:26 PM
Of all the landfill indie bands, let's agree to never feel nostalgic for the Kaiser Chiefs, eh?

It's a deal. Everyday I love them less and less.

I'll fuck off now.

Jockice

Quote from: icehaven on January 06, 2021, 08:52:57 PM
The New Grave genre. I know that sounds like a CaB injoke but it was real, lasted about a week in the late 90s and involved indie bands with a vaguely gothy look and at least one member with a heroin problem. Placebo were patient zero (and possibly the only band still widely remembered) but Mansun, Marion and These Animal Men were others. I very much liked all of them, particularly Mansun who I still love, but I can see history isn't going to be kind to them.

I was rather fond of Marion. Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll play some of their stuff today.

Jive Bunny. The suing bastards.