Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:37:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists that are never getting a positive criticial reappraisal

Started by George Oscar Bluth II, January 06, 2021, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: TheMonk on January 11, 2021, 10:40:11 AM
Mr. Mister

(Fixed)

Kind of already happened (albeit in a fairly limited fashion given that they were so short-lived), what with Richard Page being made something of a legend by Ringo Starr, and Pat Mastelotto's subsequent career.

Jockice

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on January 12, 2021, 10:33:02 AM
The Farm.

All Together Now is still a great single. Most of the rest of their stuff is fairly mediocre but not offensive to the ears. Well I don't think so anyway.

mobias

I sometimes wonder what people will look back on as being important and influential for future bands, artists and musicians. In 50 or 100 years time who will still be a celebrated name for future musicians?
Stuff thats of its time and fashion driven won't be well remembered I don't think. Maybe Britpop will be well remembered by future pop historians but I suspect it'll be only be remembered as a bit of cultural curiosity.

The history of art has taught us that its quite often artsits who weren't necessarily celebrated in their day that are revered by future generations. Maybe Shed Seven will worshipped as musical gods in 100 years time
whereas Oasis will be utterly forgotten about.

NoSleep

Quote from: mobias on January 12, 2021, 11:04:56 AMThe history of art has taught us that its quite often artsits who weren't necessarily celebrated in their day that are revered by future generations. Maybe Shed Seven will worshipped as musical gods in 100 years time whereas Oasis will be utterly forgotten about.

Probably neither.

willbo

Quote from: AnOrdinaryBoy on January 12, 2021, 12:03:18 AM
Planet Sound, I assume? I bought many a record off of the back of John Earls reviews, such as Alligator by The National before they broke through, as it was around that time I was taking an active interest in music outside of the Top 40.

I used to read the letters page on Channel 4's music teletext every day, it was the highlight of my day

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mobias on January 12, 2021, 11:04:56 AM
The history of art has taught us that its quite often artsits who weren't necessarily celebrated in their day that are revered by future generations. Maybe Shed Seven will worshipped as musical gods in 100 years time whereas Oasis will be utterly forgotten about.

The Royal Albert Hall proudly presents the Royal Philharmonic Pop Orchestra performing the celebrated works of Blazin' Squad.

SteveDave

Quote from: AnOrdinaryBoy on January 12, 2021, 12:03:18 AM
Planet Sound, I assume? I bought many a record off of the back of John Earls reviews, such as Alligator by The National before they broke through, as it was around that time I was taking an active interest in music outside of the Top 40.

I bought "Lazy Line Painter Jane" off the back of a Planet Sound review without hearing it. I think it said it sounded like the Velvet Underground.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on January 11, 2021, 09:36:44 AM
Bypass the mythmaking and go directly to the music. Almost all music "writers" aren't particularly good mediums of that branch of the arts. If you really need to read about music you have the internet.

I agree for the most part however Shindig! do actually seem to do well researched articles and interviews if 60's ish stuff is your area of interest.

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 10, 2021, 08:36:57 PM
Bush. Although whenever I brush up against normies, I'm always amazed by what kind of middling shite they can get really excited about (not to knock them or anything, as it's just notes and chords and shit).  Bush just released an album this year, so perhaps some people out there think they really were more than the cleanest of post-grunge also-rans?

Been to see them live on one of the recent tours. They sell out the middling venues of the West Midlands.

Quote from: thugler on January 08, 2021, 05:25:27 PM
When I was 10, I loved their first record, and had no idea until much later that they were so uncool, or any of this dubious racist shit. I've not really gone back to it, but really remember enjoying it a lot. Just listened to a few tracks now, and it's a bit silly and naff, particularly the indian/60's pastiche stuff but I still think it's not that bad, and I remember a lot of the songs. I distinctly remember being on a school trip and someone letting me listen to tattva on their walkman. Don't think I ever heard the 2nd album bar 'sound of drums' which I liked

He's a wizzard in a blizzard with a mystical machine gun.

Missed the swastika stuff at the time. Just thought they were one of those bands that duffs up the follow up so hard you never hear of them again.

Do like their singles and, if they played a mid-summer festival at around 3pm, yeah, I'd likely go and watch if I was already there.

jenna appleseed

sutin

Quote from: SteveDave on January 12, 2021, 01:54:57 PM
I bought "Lazy Line Painter Jane" off the back of a Planet Sound review without hearing it. I think it said it sounded like the Velvet Underground.

I got into B&S from reading about them on Planet Sound, and Lazy Line Painter Jane was the first CD I bought by them (also without having heard it). Funny that.

Brundle-Fly

Hard-Fi

Another '00's pop-rock act who soon got dispensed with to join Athlete, The Feeling, Razorlight et al.

The whole flavour of the month must be the bitterest pill to swallow in the shit business.

SteveDave

Quote from: sutin on January 13, 2021, 08:03:56 AM
I got into B&S from reading about them on Planet Sound, and Lazy Line Painter Jane was the first CD I bought by them (also without having heard it). Funny that.

So this is what it sounds like when doves cry

purlieu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 13, 2021, 11:23:49 AM
Hard-Fi

Another '00's pop-rock act who soon got dispensed with to join Athlete, The Feeling, Razorlight et al.
It's funny how the memory plays tricks. In my head, Athlete were around in the late '90s, it seems really weird that their debut album came around two years after Is This It. Given that the whole surge of rawer sounding bands that got hyped up in 2001 - The Strokes, The Hives, The White Stripes - were talked about at the time as saviours of rock'n'roll from the whole acoustic end of post-Britpop stuff, it's weird to think that Athlete, Starsailor, Elbow, Keane and Turin Breaks all released their debut albums between 2001 and 2004. Even the Stereophonics' move towards mid-tempo acoustic stuff was in 2001, while Snow Patrol's was in 2003.

Jockice

i'm still trying to work out that why when I saw Athlete playing live circa 2004 there were girls up front screaming. I've never seen that outside the boy bands I used to have to go and see as part of my job. Yet this was a bog-standard landfill indie band playing an indie band venue. But there were girls screaming. Totally inexplicable. I don't think it was even because they were terrified.

Jockice

Scouting For Girls. Best remembered by me because a former colleague of mine who previously had not bad taste (Orange Juice, JaMC, James) tried desperately to defend them because his new partner had bought him their album. They had 'some good tunes' apparently. No they didn't. They were terrible.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on January 13, 2021, 12:35:51 PM
i'm still trying to work out that why when I saw Athlete playing live circa 2004 there were girls up front screaming. I've never seen that outside the boy bands I used to have to go and see as part of my job. Yet this was a bog-standard landfill indie band playing an indie band venue. But there were girls screaming. Totally inexplicable. I don't think it was even because they were terrified.
I saw Idlewild at the Sheffield Octagon during their dalliance with the mainstream, around the same time you mention, and there were screaming teenage girls at that gig too. At one point, one of the speaker stacks went berserk, creating an extreme feedback wail that left some of the poor lasses in tears to the point the band had to stop for a bit while it was sorted out. At the time, I thought "a few years ago, they would have rolled with it and said it was part of the song".

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on January 13, 2021, 12:35:51 PM

I thought the debut, Vehicles & Animals was quite charming with lots of pleasant hooks but they were Coldplayed up by the time their sophomore, oh shut the fuck up and just say, the second album, Wires came out.

MiddleRabbit

The best heckle I heard was at Athlete in a former grain silo in Liverpool, where they were supporting Shack.  Some wag shouted, "Improve." at them.  They didn't.  Not at that gig anyway, and they were dead boring.  Sort of pensive music for Ally McBeal hospital montages, I thought.

The Feeling had at least one good pop single, Fill My Little World. I don't think anyone considered them a "band" band.

Although obviously I hope I never hear ear-maggot She's So Lovely ever again.

Brundle-Fly

The follow up Sewn was strong, I thought. Reminded me of a Jellyfish number. However, I was single for the first time in years and in 2006 briefly found myself having a pathetic schoolboy crush on somebody and any requiting was clearly never going to happen. Sewn was the song on the radio at the time and it always stung. No fool like an old fool.

greenman

Quote from: mobias on January 11, 2021, 11:23:54 AMIts interesting looking at the work of Nick Drake. Those three albums have quite rightly been elevated to the status of god like genius but he wasn't critically acclaimed in his day and was almost
unheard of by the mainstream public until relatively recent years. I didn't know anything about him until Robert Smith started name checking him a big influence back in the 90's. Robert Smith was certainly the
first artist I was aware of talking about him. Now everyone cites him as an influence     

Micheal Heads brief period of being pushed strongly in the music media in the mid/late 90's I think probably helped a good deal as well, espeically Magical World of the Strands being so Drake like.

boki

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 13, 2021, 03:27:52 PM
The Feeling had at least one good pop single, Fill My Little World. I don't think anyone considered them a "band" band.

Wait, they did that one?  I always assumed it was The Kooks.

Captain Z

Quote from: boki on January 15, 2021, 12:54:37 PM
Wait, they did that one?  I always assumed it was The Kooks.

It might as well have been, they were all exactly the same. The Feeling, The Kooks, The Thrills, Noah and The Whale, The Futureheads, The Wombats, The View, The Zutons, The Fratellis...

Fr.Bigley

Billy

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 13, 2021, 11:23:49 AM
Hard-Fi

The whole flavour of the month must be the bitterest pill to swallow in the shit business.

One of those landfill acts that had one Hit Single (in this case You Know Ah Luv Ya Hard To Beat) and that was their only decent idea, so within a few years CeX had shitloads of their album on dusty shelves for 20p each. I bought one at that price just for the novelty value.

I'd laugh if it randomly became ultra-valuable for some reason in a few decades.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I expect the main factor preventing most of these acts from receiving any reappraisal is plain old indifference. Maybe someone will write a retrospective article looking at Britpop as a whole, although I'd have expected that to happen already.