Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:55:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clap for Carers is back...

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 06, 2021, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

JUST NO.

QuoteClap for Carers is to return under a new name of Clap for Heroes, the initiative's founder has said.

The weekly applause for front-line NHS staff and other key workers ran for 10 weeks during the UK's first coronavirus lockdown last spring.

Founder Annemarie Plas tweeted that it would return at 20:00 GMT on Thursday.

Ms Plas said she hoped the initiative would "lift the spirit of all of us" including "all who are pushing through this difficult time"...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55561108

https://twitter.com/AnnemariePlas/status/1346767248971718656

Not sure why Plas has changed her mind from May. I am concerned how it appears to be up to one person whether this is done or not, and I think the clap was actually quite divisive as it was an excuse for finger-pointing at those who didn't take part. A lot of people who feel anxious going outside when lots of people are there will feel they have to take part.

It's not great for key workers who have returned after a 12 hour shift and want to sleep, night shift workers and pets. It also encourages people to gather closely together outside hospitals or on Westminster Bridge. Given how this new strain spreads more easily, Plas is putting lives at risk with her tweet.

Quite liked this tweet in response: https://twitter.com/Joshua4Workers/status/1259061238434197504

Just seen her tweet from Christmas. She can't stop, can she

QuoteCome join this Christmas Eve 6pm to "Ring a Bell for Christmas" an idea launched by Mary Beggs-Reid and backed by @togethercoaltion.
At 6pm, on our doorsteps to ring bells chat, applaud or say Merry Christmas Bell

Maybe she just wants more attention.

bgmnts

Good god that is shameless. It's as if they are just pure laughing at us.

Fambo Number Mive

Out of all the tweets in reply, I counted one in support. Still, I expect my neighbours will do it so I'll have to do it as well, no matter how tired I am.

jobotic

Don't be coy Annemarie, call it Clap For Annemarie Plas (featuring Boris Johnson)

Fambo Number Mive

It's a great way to take the focus off how badly the government have handled this, starting this divisive crap up again. Newspaper editors can fill pages with "The return of the clap" and photos of people clapping on their front doorsteps. The grifters on twitter can distract people by saying how clap for carers promotes "woke britain" or taking the other side and saying it should be illegal not to join in the crap.

Boris Johnson must be very happy.

Cuellar

It'll be too dark and cold, no cunt's going to bother.

Might set a speaker up with a recording of me clapping and run it 24/7

Bernice

Who the fuck made this cunt Director of Clapping?

Uncle TechTip

I'll be out to do a slow clap and hold my mouth in a kind of wavy shape.

the

Clap a Cursory Cosmetic Curtsy for Collateral Casualties of Complicit Counterproductive Conservative Covid Criminals

Pink Gregory

oh yes jolly well done good shift at the care mines but I hope you never bally well voted Labour otherwise I'd have to discount your piggin' intentions criticising the government now wouldn't I?

MojoJojo

I think carers have it hard enough at the moment, and it really isn't fair of me to give them the clap, no matter how much I enjoy it.

Quite enjoyed reading 2,100 people all telling her to get fucked.

To pretend that things are even remotely similar to where we were in March shows an astonishing lack of awareness and understanding. If you weren't already furloughed or working from home before Christmas, you almost certainly won't be now either.

All Surrogate

ZoyzaSorris

Quite enjoyed these in the original lockdown but this can get to fuck.

Endicott

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 06, 2021, 02:30:04 PM
Out of all the tweets in reply, I counted one in support. Still, I expect my neighbours will do it so I'll have to do it as well, no matter how tired I am.

What sort of neighbours have you got then? When mine were all clapping last time I never even went outside. Never got challenged about it, and there would have been an earful directed at anyone who had.

I'm a bit tempted to put anti-clapping slogans in my windows.

INSTEAD OF CLAPPING - PAY THEM A DECENT WAGE[nb]slogan needs work[/nb]

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on January 06, 2021, 02:28:14 PM
Good god that is shameless. It's as if they are just pure laughing at us.

Yes

Jollity

Some people just relish the excuse to make a big stupid noise.

Cuntbeaks

Gold plated, diamond tipped, graphene coated, ocean going, industrial strength, family sized SHIT FOR CUNTS

Cold Meat Platter

Sin Agog

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 06, 2021, 02:30:04 PM

It's exactly because of this sort of thinking that the holocaust was allowed to happen.

Cuellar

When will we Clap For the CarEErs we've all lost?[nb]not me I'm working from home[/nb]

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Zetetic

poo

Fambo Number Mive

Fambo Number Mive

My local paper has decided to help highlight Clap for Carers/Heroes. Most told the local paper on Facebook they wouldn't be doing it, but it looks like at least two will:

Quote.. "I will be very happy to clap for carers. To spend a few minutes thinking about those who are working so hard under so much pressure is good. Hopefully stops me from being cynical or self-centred and if it encourages just one of them it is worth it."

..."What a nice idea to do it all over again. Just showing appreciation at our door step. You could see how much it meant to those who have been working so hard through this tough time. I will clap even if people won't because it's the small tings that make a huge difference to those who deserve it."...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18992080.clap-carers-returns-tonight-new-name---will-join/

M-CORP

'To spend a few minutes thinking about those who are working so hard under so much pressure is good. Hopefully stops me from being cynical or self-centred and if it encourages just one of them it is worth it.'

Right, so you'll spend a FEW minutes... and it stops you from being cynical, but it's not about you, it's about the heroes and key workers, but of course, only some people working count under that, not delivery drivers or engineers, very good for morale, isn't it? And you want to encourage them, as though they aren't working hard enough... and that's not even the whole quote, GOD THIS IS A STUPID IDEA, ISN't IT?!

"Doctor, I'm having negative thoughts. They are really affecting my mood. I feel cynical and selfish."

"Have you tried clapping for our lazy carers? But only on Thursdays at 8pm for a maximum of ten minutes."