Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

touchingcloth

Baker Street is a real street, so Bob Holness may or may not have been playing his saxophone in honour of Sherlock Holmes.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 18, 2021, 07:56:08 PM
Baker Street is a real street, so Bob Holness may or may not have been playing his saxophone in honour of Sherlock Holmes.
Apparently 2 people played sax on it, neither were James Bond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street_(song)

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

I've just looked up what "voila" from off of French means, and it's the third-person singular past historic of voiler, which means "to cover with a veil". Voila!

jenna appleseed

Norm MacDonald didn't look like Norm from Cheers.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: jenna appleseed on September 19, 2021, 08:28:40 PM

It wasn't until around 2014, when Norm MacDonald Live began, that I went back and realised that The Norm Show wasn't about Norm from Cheers.

Replies From View

Quote from: jenna appleseed on September 19, 2021, 08:28:40 PM

I had him in mind too, because the guy who played Captain Hollister in Red Dwarf was Mac McDonald, another rotund gentleman.  The Norm from Norman Lovett naturally completed his ascent into Norm from Cheers.

mothman

Not really an obvious thing, but Robert Palmer died in 2003. But I could've sworn it was just a couple of years ago! Or is he one of those whose death keeps getting re-announced, like Tony Hart?

beanheadmcginty

Robert Mugabe only died a couple of years ago. Maybe you're getting them confused?

Sebastian Cobb

they did both wear some pretty tight suits.

touchingcloth

Robert Palmer is not the lead singer of Led Zeppelin. I think it's the "palm" bit that gets me.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 23, 2021, 07:46:33 PM
Robert Palmer is not the lead singer of Led Zeppelin. I think it's the "palm" bit that gets me.

an old obvious thing for me (believed this for part of the 90s) - 29 Palms wasn't by Robert Palmer.

mothman

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 23, 2021, 01:05:59 AM
Robert Mugabe only died a couple of years ago. Maybe you're getting them confused?

Now you mention it...

jamiefairlie

Robert Mugabe sang with Bonnie Tyler in Vinegar Jim, who in turn played sax on Blockbusters.

Paul Calf

Blur album filler track 'Tracy Jacks' is not a Pulp-esque meditation on the plight of a beautiful woman shackled to a life of dull domesticity as I had previously thought (I hardly listened to the words because...well...it's Blur, isn't it) but a chronicle of a middle-aged man's midlife breakdown.

boki

The 'laaah laaah lah la-la-la-la...' bit in Buckles' ramblechat song actually goes 'Blah, blah, blah etc.'. 

Of course it does, how did I ever think otherwise?

touchingcloth

Quote from: boki on September 24, 2021, 03:37:04 PM
The 'laaah laaah lah la-la-la-la...' bit in Buckles' ramblechat song actually goes 'Blah, blah, blah etc.'. 

Of course it does, how did I ever think otherwise?

I still remember when I realised that he doesn't sing "we'll fuck Uckfirst on this".

touchingcloth

Guitar and bass on You Oughta Know were done by Dave Navarro and Flea.

Dave Navarro looks odd these days.

The lyric in All I Really Want is "I'm like Estella", not "I like a Stella".

gib

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 18, 2021, 08:54:36 PM
I've just looked up what "voila" from off of French means, and it's the third-person singular past historic of voiler, which means "to cover with a veil". Voila!

Where did you look it up?

Quote from: wiktionaryEtymology
From vois ("see!, look!"), second-person singular imperative of voir ("to see, to look") and là ("there"), literally meaning "look there!".

Quote from: etymonline1739, French voilà, imperative of voir "to see, to view" (from Latin videre "to see;" see vision) + la "there" (from Latin ille "yonder;" see le).

touchingcloth

Quote from: gib on September 25, 2021, 01:36:17 PM
Where did you look it up?

Wiktionary, but I think I was looking at "voila" rather than "voilà". Stupid bloody Europeans and their accents. Let's do a Brexit.

famethrowa

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 25, 2021, 01:25:48 PM

Dave Navarro looks odd these days.

He does, you're right. I was very annoyed by his rise to popularity in the mid 90s, he seemed an unpleasant throwback to the cock rock hair days what with his tattoos and makeup and general pretty boy bad boy look. At the time I thought all that posing had been vanquished, guess not.

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 25, 2021, 01:25:48 PM
Guitar and bass on You Oughta Know were done by Dave Navarro and Flea.

On a similar note,  the drums and bass on Werewolves Of London was done by Fleetwood and Mac!

touchingcloth

Quote from: famethrowa on September 25, 2021, 01:57:06 PM
On a similar note,  the drums and bass on Werewolves Of London was done by Fleetwood and Mac!

I always have to remind myself that Mac is actually Mc. Call yourselves Fleetwood Mc, cunts, or McFleetwood.

beanheadmcginty

The Italia Conti drama school is nothing to do with Tom Conti. I assumed the man was sitting on a goldmine and one of the most influential actors out there. Completely made up in my head. I lived 500 yards away from the Italia Conti building for 15 years and every time I walked past I would imagine Tom Conti as some sort of silent powerful guiding hand of UK theatre, but it turns out that he's nothing to do with the place.

kalowski

It's to do with John Conte.

Aleister Growley

Jeff Wayne who did War Of The Worlds is not the ELO guy.

Dusty Substance

Jim Carrey's satirical gun control song Cold Dead Hand ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Wn3Eey6dY) is a very blatant parody of Marty Robbins' Big Iron (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuX79Ud8zI).

Sonny_Jim

Louis and Lewis can be pronounced the same way.

batwings

Until quite recently I thought the TOTP dance troupe Pan's People, were called 'Pam's People' and that Pam was an older lady who was the choreographer / svengali behind it all.

gilbertharding

Quote from: batwings on September 29, 2021, 11:11:49 AM
Until quite recently I thought the TOTP dance troupe Pan's People, were called 'Pam's People' and that Pam was an older lady who was the choreographer / svengali behind it all.

Ruby Flipper ditto.

Cuellar

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 26, 2021, 07:02:04 AM
The Italia Conti drama school is nothing to do with Tom Conti. I assumed the man was sitting on a goldmine and one of the most influential actors out there. Completely made up in my head. I lived 500 yards away from the Italia Conti building for 15 years and every time I walked past I would imagine Tom Conti as some sort of silent powerful guiding hand of UK theatre, but it turns out that he's nothing to do with the place.

I had the exact same thought until I read this, totally convinced it was his school. Although I looked on his wikipedia to confirm and he probably is sitting on a goldmine:

QuoteConti is a prominent resident of Hampstead in northwest London, having lived in the area for several decades. Conti was part of a campaign against the opening of a Tesco supermarket in nearby Belsize Park. Conti put his Hampstead house up for sale in 2015 for £17.5 million after his long-running opposition to the building plans of his neighbour, the footballer Thierry Henry.

Fair enough he's been in loads of things, but I wouldn't put him in the 20 million quid house bracket of actors.