Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

Icehaven

Quote from: Cuellar on September 29, 2021, 11:29:41 AM
I had the exact same thought until I read this, totally convinced it was his school. Although I looked on his wikipedia to confirm and he probably is sitting on a goldmine:

Fair enough he's been in loads of things, but I wouldn't put him in the 20 million quid house bracket of actors.

He probably bought it back before house prices got truly ridiculous. There's probably loads of older mid level celebs who bought property in London back in the 70s-early 90s that are now worth many times what their career ever earned them.

bigfatheart

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 29, 2021, 11:26:17 AM
Ruby Flipper ditto.

Sort of is named after their svengali; at that point they were managed by Flick Colby and newly-promoted ex-Pan's Person Ruth Pearson. The name comes from mangling their names together, so 'Ruby' mashes Ruth and Colby together, 'Flipper' mashes Flick and (rather torturedly) Pearson.

Bennett Brauer

The choreographer by that stage was Lexanne Coe.

famethrowa

Quote from: batwings on September 29, 2021, 11:11:49 AM
Until quite recently I thought the TOTP dance troupe Pan's People, were called 'Pam's People' and that Pam was an older lady who was the choreographer / svengali behind it all.

Hello, Ms. Lady! I think I may be able to help with the Pan-Pam dilemma. Pand...There's a D on the end, It's like "Comb" except P-A-N-M. N-N. There's two N's.

studpuppet

Quote from: icehaven on September 29, 2021, 04:45:03 PM
He probably bought it back before house prices got truly ridiculous. There's probably loads of older mid level celebs who bought property in London back in the 70s-early 90s that are now worth many times what their career ever earned them.

I imagine Peter Cook's house (as seen in that Victor Lewis Smith doc) is worth a fair bit these days, and I reckon Conti was probably a similar earner over the years. The most depressing thing is that all that money's going to go to Nina 'I fucked Ken Campbell and all I got was this lousy ventriloquist act' Conti.

Sebastian Cobb

Watching Babylon Berlin and there's a flashback to one of the guys in the first world war, obviously I knew about chemical warfare and gas masks, but they also had them for horses.

touchingcloth

The mad and seemingly random stresses in the bible in the form of italics aren't meant for emphasis.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 01, 2021, 11:27:06 PM
The mad and seemingly random stresses in the bible in the form of italics aren't meant for emphasis.

It's a lot like reading community/fan subtitles on something, you know more-or-less what's going on but at times I know there's something extra being conveyed but it's flying over my head.

FredNurke

Are the italicised words one added for sense in the English translation, which don't directly correspond to anything in the original languages? I have the vague idea that might be the case, but it's ages since I read anything about it so could well be wrong.

NoSleep

Quote from: FredNurke on October 02, 2021, 12:46:55 AM
Are the italicised words one added for sense in the English translation, which don't directly correspond to anything in the original languages? I have the vague idea that might be the case, but it's ages since I read anything about it so could well be wrong.

That's my understanding.

buttgammon

The italics always confused me, in that they're normally in places where emphasis wouldn't make sense, but FredNurke's point explains it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: buttgammon on October 02, 2021, 09:01:14 AM
The italics always confused me, in that they're normally in places where emphasis wouldn't make sense, but FredNurke's point explains it.

Yes FredNurke described the same thing I found out yesterday.

It's similar to how Lord, God and LORD are used in place of Adonai, Elohim and YHWH, in that it conveys something about the original language rather than suggesting emphasis, however if I ever wind up needing to do a reading in public again I'm definitely going to be hugely stressing the italics. Emphasis mine.

buttgammon

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 02, 2021, 10:01:50 AM
Yes FredNurke described the same thing I found out yesterday.

It's similar to how Lord, God and LORD are used in place of Adonai, Elohim and YHWH, in that it conveys something about the original language rather than suggesting emphasis, however if I ever wind up needing to do a reading in public again I'm definitely going to be hugely stressing the italics. Emphasis mine.

I think I may have accidentally done this when I gave a reading at my cousin's wedding a few years ago. I can't remember the exact reading but it had italics in it and despite thinking they were in an odd place, I read them as it looked.

FredNurke

Akkadian texts (written in cuneiform) often include words in Sumerian, the language for which cuneiform was originally devised; it's a little like when numerals are used in English, French, German, etc. text, in that they denote a number which can be expressed by a word in various languages, except in the Akkadian text these Sumerian words are expressing a concept for which we don't always know what the corresponding Akkadian word was, although we know what the Sumerian word denotes. The convention for this when the texts are transcribed in Latin script (for ease of reading, because reading cuneiform is an absolute ballache) is to write the Sumerian word in ALL CAPS (such as LUGAL, 'king'), which makes it look as though Akkadian conversation was punctuated by random bursts of Sumerian yelling.

lazyhour

Lucozade = glucose + ade

Like lemonade and cherryade.

With the G lopped off.

olliebean

It was originally called Glucozade, in fact.

touchingcloth

That's a coincidence, because due to the flavour of the stuff I tend to call it glucose AIDS.

Rizla

Quote from: famethrowa on September 25, 2021, 01:57:06 PM
On a similar note,  the drums and bass on Werewolves Of London was done by Fleetwood and Mac!
Buckingham and McVie sing backing vocals on Randy Newman's I Love LA , which also features "Werewolves" guitarist Waddy Wachtel and most of Toto, who also played on You Might Need Somebody by Randy Crawford, who also sang on Streetlife by the Crusaders, who featured Larry Carlton on guitar who was in Steely Dan, whose song "Everything You Did" mentions the Eagles, who had a hit with "Take It Easy" co-written by Jackson Browne who features on "Excitable Boy" by Warren Zevon, the album from which "Werewolves" comes.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Rizla on October 05, 2021, 03:31:11 PM
Randy Newman

02120u5 thing maybe, but is that guy a novelty act? In some ways it seems not because people who select music for films seem to fucking love him more than Barry loves fucking cats, but in other ways he seems like the ultimate novelty with that hurp-de-durpy doo ahm a gunner hurp-de-durps voice he uses that makes me want to tip lava down my fucking earholes.

Paul Calf

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 05, 2021, 04:12:12 PM
I hope you have a good lawyer.

It's not nearly the first time I've made that naughty little inversion, so I suspect his own lawyers are either snoozing, not arsed, or realise as lawyers that the best defence against libel is to only speak the truth. His silence, like his kittens, speaks volumes.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 05, 2021, 04:03:45 PM
02120u5 thing maybe, but is that guy a novelty act? In some ways it seems not because people who select music for films seem to fucking love him more than Barry loves fucking cats, but in other ways he seems like the ultimate novelty with that hurp-de-durpy doo ahm a gunner hurp-de-durps voice he uses that makes me want to tip lava down my fucking earholes.

Just a yank Richard Stillgoe.

Rizla

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 05, 2021, 04:03:45 PM
is that guy a novelty act?

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 05, 2021, 06:12:18 PM
Just a yank Richard Stillgoe.
Boneheaded, tiny-minded philistinery of the worst kind. Shame on both of you.

I've been digging his 1995 Faust musical, with James Taylor playing god. Wasn't a roaring success but the songs are just incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMOohGSzjA&list=PL8GXME0nl1x7hbvd2OYnz7f7O5dMSpFyS&index=8

lazyhour

Randy Newman is amazing. He's just not afraid to put humour in music, like there is humour in the rest of life.

If you don't like his voice, that's another thing. He's never claimed to have the most classically "good" voice, but for me he uses what god have him to great effect

Twit 2

His songs for The Princess and the Frog are ACE. I'd rather listen to my daughter's protracted death rattle than a single second of his piss awful "voice"[nb]And I'm a big Tom Waits fan and generally love distinctive and untrained voices[/nb] but he's a great songwriter.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 06, 2021, 09:16:29 AM
And I'm a big Tom Waits fan and generally love distinctive and untrained voices

Same, but if Tom Waits routinely growled his way through some hurp-e-de-durps, I'd chin the cunt.

Icehaven

Quote from: lazyhour on October 05, 2021, 12:21:29 PM
Lucozade = glucose + ade

Like lemonade and cherryade.

With the G lopped off.

I've only recently realised that -ade at the end of a drink name doesn't mean it's fizzy, it can be used for carbonated or non-carbonated beverages. I just assumed it meant fizzy as I've only once (last week) seen it applied to a non-fizzy drink.

lazyhour

I think it *should* apply to fizzy drinks only. What was the non-fizzy "ade"?

Cold Meat Platter

Lemonade doesn't need to be fizzy.

If fact apparently no -ade has to be. Carbonation in lemonade etc. by default seems to be a British thing.