Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

touchingcloth

The planets was an interesting one before Pluto was demoted because it swaps positions with Neptune.

The mnemonic I used to use is the word "mvenjsunp", which is pronounced mmmm[nb]Like yummy yummy.[/nb]-venge[nb]Rhymes with "henge".[/nb]-sunp[nb]Rhymes with "sump".[/nb]

These days I just mentally go through Holst in order.

For the planets I've always used: Richard of York gave battle in vain.

That's only seven letters and you used to need two more (only one now) so I just use my initials for the last two (only one now).

All you have to remember then is that R=M, O=V, Y=E, etc.

NoSleep

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 22, 2021, 02:09:37 PM
The planets was an interesting one before Pluto was demoted because it swaps positions with Neptune.

The mnemonic I used to use is the word "mvenjsunp", which is pronounced mmmm[nb]Like yummy yummy.[/nb]-venge[nb]Rhymes with "henge".[/nb]-sunp[nb]Rhymes with "sump".[/nb]

These days I just mentally go through Holst in order.

The Sun isn't between Jupiter and Pluto.

Petey Pate

Beetroot and beet are the same vegetable, the latter is just what they call beetroots in the US and Canada.

Johnny Foreigner

If the Sun is between Jupiter and Pluto, Jupiter and Pluto are in opposition, that is, on opposite sides of the Solar System.

The mnemonic 'O, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now, Sweetheart' can be used to remember the star types on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on October 22, 2021, 03:07:45 PM
The Sun isn't between Jupiter and Pluto.

It is sometimes. And most of the time, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on October 22, 2021, 03:24:20 PM
If the Sun is between Jupiter and Pluto, Jupiter and Pluto are in opposition, that is, on opposite sides of the Solar System.

The mnemonic 'O, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now, Sweetheart' can be used to remember the star types on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram.

Sometimes Elite: Dangerous commanders use KGB FOAM to remember main sequence stars. it doesn't present them in order but helps remind which stars can be used for scoop-refuelling.

kalowski

I hate these mnemonics and similar shit.
Silly Old Harry Caught A Herring Trawling Off Anglesey for the trig ratios.
Just remember the trig ratios!

Johnny Foreigner

I've never got used to musical notes having letters. I was taught them as do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, si (not ti), do. To this day, I don't know which corresponds to which.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on October 22, 2021, 12:22:17 PM
Quoting to add:  no problem with the notion of all cows eating grass, though.  They pretty much do unless some have been left out.

Why is it that the treble clef has a mnemonic for the lines, while the bass clef has one for the spaces between the lines?

Paul Calf

Quote from: olliebean on October 22, 2021, 09:38:28 PM
Why is it that the treble clef has a mnemonic for the lines, while the bass clef has one for the spaces between the lines?

The treble clef's spaces spell 'F A C E'. The bass clef has mnemonics for both.

olliebean

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 22, 2021, 09:41:39 PM

Why is it, then, that it's only the ones for the lines of the treble clef and the spaces on the bass clef that I have remembered?

mothman

Christ, I mean: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune (and Pluto). How is that so hard to remember?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on October 22, 2021, 09:15:28 PM
I've never got used to musical notes having letters. I was taught them as do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, si (not ti), do. To this day, I don't know which corresponds to which.

And sol not so?

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on October 22, 2021, 09:38:28 PM

Is it a 02v10u5 thing to just have realised that the treble clef has a bass counterpart? Next you'll be telling me there are baritone and mezzo-soprano clefs as well.

Wait. What is "clef"?

gib

Quote from: Cuellar on October 22, 2021, 01:23:57 PM
My Very Easy Method and then I forget the rest

just spunk up nicholas parsons?

touchingcloth

Poor Drac and Gonggong :(

Paul Calf

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 22, 2021, 10:50:46 PM
Is it a 02v10u5 thing to just have realised that the treble clef has a bass counterpart? Next you'll be telling me there are baritone and mezzo-soprano clefs as well.

Wait. What is "clef"?

There are alto and tenor clefs.

https://makingmusicmag.com/explanation-clefs-treble-bass-alto-tenor/

Paul Calf

The clef symbol just tells the reader what part of the musical range the piece is in. The word is related to 'clef' from French and Latin, meaning 'key'. It's related to the idea of keys, but doesn't mean the same thing.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 22, 2021, 11:22:17 PM
There are alto and tenor clefs.

https://makingmusicmag.com/explanation-clefs-treble-bass-alto-tenor/

Fuck. And I thought it was "the symbol for showing that lines are music". It would be easier if all of music were just guitar tablature.

Pseudopath

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 22, 2021, 11:25:53 PM
Fuck. And I thought it was "the symbol for showing that lines are music". It would be easier if all of music were just guitar tablature.

Sure...if you didn't need the score to convey any sense of articulation or dynamics. Can't imagine pianists would appreciate having to deal with an 88-line stave either.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 23, 2021, 09:10:15 AM
Sure...if you didn't need the score to convey any sense of articulation or dynamics.

That is precisely what I need. Functional music, none of this poncey overcomplicated stuff.

Pseudopath

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 23, 2021, 09:18:17 AM
That is precisely what I need. Functional music, none of this poncey overcomplicated stuff.

You can get tablature for piano: https://www.true-piano-lessons.com/piano-tab.html

I wouldn't exactly call it "functional" though, as it's just telling you which notes to hit and relies on you knowing the original tune for note lengths, rests, etc. I'd imagine it falls apart quite spectacularly when more than one note needs to be played simultaneously.

mjwilson

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 22, 2021, 09:41:39 PM

"Face in the space"

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 23, 2021, 09:25:44 AM
You can get tablature for piano: https://www.true-piano-lessons.com/piano-tab.html

I wouldn't exactly call it "functional" though, as it's just telling you which notes to hit and relies on you knowing the original tune for note lengths, rests, etc. I'd imagine it falls apart quite spectacularly when more than one note needs to be played simultaneously.

I don't think there's ever a need to play more than one note at once. Have you seen Big? Beautiful music.

Sonny_Jim

Michael Caine never said "Don't throw those bloody spears at me" in Zulu, apparently.  That line was the basis of a million schoolyard impressions and it's a lie.  They were all LIES

JesusAndYourBush

The version I knew was "Stop chucking those bladdy spears!" which he also probably never said.

dissolute ocelot

Just found out that a razor cut hairstyle is delicately cut with a razorblade held in the air to give thin wispy strands, and isn't shaved or done with clippers. Luckily, like most CaBBers, my interest in haircuts is purely theoretical.

Paul Calf

And for all that effort, it looks really shit.

touchingcloth

A razor cut hairstyle is more commonly known as a "shave".