Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:26:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

Sebastian Cobb

Trying to think of other things that would be orange (so probably naturally occurring) in the 1500's.

Tabby cats?

NoSleep

Maybe people called that colour "tabby" before the introduction of oranges.

MojoJojo

It gets stranger when you realise orange is just light brown - technology connections has a good video on youtube about this. There's a good argument to be made that our perception of colour is tied to the variety of words we have to describe colour. Homer never described anything as blue, for example, but described the sea as wine coloured. Japanese didn't distinguish between blue and green until relatively recently - the their green traffic lights look weirdly blue to western eyes.

There's a lot of debate about this and I'm probably over egging it a bit.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah and if we consider we have rods and cones that work in RGB, there are things like the mantis shrimp that have around 16 different types of photoreceptor, so it perceives colour in levels we don't.

gib

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 30, 2021, 11:41:27 AM
Trying to think of other things that would be orange (so probably naturally occurring) in the 1500's.

Tabby cats?

would be either 'red' like a red fox or a person with red hair or perhaps 'tawny'

gib

polo neck clothing is NOT called that because it's a bit like wearing a polo mint around your neck

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on March 30, 2021, 11:32:23 AM
Wikipedia has this enlightening section

And it had nothing at all about an orange originally being called a norange, so that linguistically "a norange" became "an orange".  Stephen Fry lied to me!

gib

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 30, 2021, 12:55:05 PM
And it had nothing at all about an orange originally being called a norange, so that linguistically "a norange" became "an orange".  Stephen Fry lied to me!

yeah, it does

QuoteFrom there the word entered Persian نارنگ nārang and then Arabic نارنج nāranj.[2] The initial n was lost through rebracketing in Italian and French, though some varieties of Arabic lost the n earlier.[2]

Replies From View

Tabby cats?

Maybe certain flowers?  Or maybe the peach and orange coloured flowers weren't even rife here yet.

Must have blown their little dark ages minds to see anything that wasn't mud coloured.  That's before you even reach the other senses.

Replies From View

Quote from: gib on March 30, 2021, 12:59:19 PM
yeah, it does

Are you saying that the dialects preserved in Disney's Aladdin are only partially based on fact?

Jockice

Tabby cats?

My cat is a tabby. She is brown.

gib

Quote from: Replies From View on March 30, 2021, 01:02:54 PM
Are you saying that the dialects preserved in Disney's Aladdin are only partially based on fact?

In the oiriginal tales he was called Naladdin.

MojoJojo

And the Province of Orange that the Prince of Orange was named for is unrelated to the fruit - which proud Netherlanders bred carrots to resemble.

beanheadmcginty

And the Dutch call an orange a "sinaasappel"

touchingcloth

Apparently there are once there are 21 million bitcoins in existence that's the lot and there will never be any more. I don't really understand cryptocurrency, but this makes it seem even more mental to me than it did before.

olliebean

Quote from: Jockice on March 30, 2021, 10:10:30 AM
Posie/Posey Parker is a pun on nosey parker.

It's Parker Posey, though.

buttgammon

No matter how many times people explain which one is the actor and which one is the arsehole, I constantly get confused, to the extent that someone will mention her in the Glinner thread and I'll think "great, another celebrity condemning their life to the racecar bed".

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on March 17, 2021, 03:38:20 PM
Quote from: touchingcloth on March 17, 2021, 12:21:59 AM"I beg your pudding?" might be a phrase which the Darkplace writers invented rather than coopted.

It's one of Basil Brush's old catchphrases, so possibly coined by Ivan Owen or Peter Firmin, although it has the ring of old music hall about it.

My parents used to say it when I was a kid in the 70s.  Usually "I beg your windy pudding" after having let out a burp following a big meal, e.g. Sunday lunch.

I'd forgotten that Basil Brush used to say it, I never made the connection then, or indeed til now.  I suspect that both Basil and my parents got it from something else.

Also vague memories that other kids at school sometimes used it.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: buttgammon on March 30, 2021, 09:52:55 PMNo matter how many times people explain which one is the actor and which one is the arsehole, I constantly get confused, to the extent that someone will mention her in the Glinner thread and I'll think "great, another celebrity condemning their life to the racecar bed".

I have the same problem, but am not sure I've ever seen anyone definitively lay it out in one post.  Maybe once, ages ago, but I've since forgotten which is which again.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 30, 2021, 12:15:19 PMIt gets stranger when you realise orange is just light brown - technology connections has a good video on youtube about this. There's a good argument to be made that our perception of colour is tied to the variety of words we have to describe colour. Homer never described anything as blue, for example, but described the sea as wine coloured. Japanese didn't distinguish between blue and green until relatively recently - the their green traffic lights look weirdly blue to western eyes.

My French teacher (himself half-French) taught us that jaune (yellow) only referred to a really bright light yellow.  Duller shades of yellow that English-speakers would still refer to as "yellow" would be called brown or orange in French.

I might be misremembering, possibly confusing with another language, but I seem to remember that their green/blue split point is in a different place to ours too.

And yeah the Japanese thing is weird.  How can one look at grass and sky and say they're the same colour?

Jockice

Quote from: olliebean on March 30, 2021, 07:47:40 PM
It's Parker Posey, though.

But there is a top TERF called Posie Parker though, as mentioned on the Linehan threads. And it was recently mis-spelt as Posey, hence my confusion.

Jockice

Quote from: buttgammon on March 30, 2021, 09:52:55 PM
No matter how many times people explain which one is the actor and which one is the arsehole, I constantly get confused, to the extent that someone will mention her in the Glinner thread and I'll think "great, another celebrity condemning their life to the racecar bed".

Ah yes. But I'd never heard of Parker Posey. Her career had totally passed me by until very recently. I've probably heard more about Posie Parker than her.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 31, 2021, 06:12:38 AM
I have the same problem, but am not sure I've ever seen anyone definitively lay it out in one post.  Maybe once, ages ago, but I've since forgotten which is which again.

Posie Parker is a nosey parker becuase she wants to check people's genitals before they can use the toilet.

Parker Posey is an actor.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 31, 2021, 06:21:50 AM
My French teacher (himself half-French) taught us that jaune (yellow) only referred to a really bright light yellow.  Duller shades of yellow that English-speakers would still refer to as "yellow" would be called brown or orange in French.

I might be misremembering, possibly confusing with another language, but I seem to remember that their green/blue split point is in a different place to ours too.

And yeah the Japanese thing is weird.  How can one look at grass and sky and say they're the same colour?
I don't know about French, but this article is interesting. It's mainly about ancient Greek (they called both the sky and tree foliage "glaukos", while darker blue to black were "kyaneos"). It also says "German Lila and Purpur have no exact equivalents in English; English 'crimson' and 'chartreuse' have no exact equivalents in German." But even in English you get people arguing about the dividing line between pink and red, orange and red, yellow and orange, purple and pink, etc.

petril

the same way one can look at the grass, and a tennis ball and say they're the same colour
or at a lemon and a tennis ball and say they're the same colour

tennis balls are chartreuse

colour and language are fascinatingly infuriating things to think and learn about

Paul Calf

Language is utterly infuriating. So many questions, and the answer is very often "We just don't know."

We don't know where the word 'dog' comes from.

Another 08v10u5 thing that occurred to me a while ago is that people have lived by monuments like Stonehenge for about 10,000 years and at some point just collectively forgotten what they are and what they're for.

Poobum

The Himba people are another fascinating example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgxyfqHRPoE
Even having it explained I still kinda believe I'm being trolled, because the greens are the same, and the blue is obvious.

Paul Calf

Buh...buh....but muh Sapir Whorf invalidation!

Cackle

gabrielconroy

This Radiolab episode goes into this exact issue. I found it pretty mind-blowing when I first listened to it, especially the idea that the language we speak and the words it has for different shades (or doesn't have) in itself affects how people see the colours.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/segments/211213-sky-isnt-blue

petril