Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

Dusty Substance

You don't need to be logged into Facebook to use Facebook messenger. You can just go to messenger.com to catch up with messages without having the temptation of doomscrolling the hellscape of Facebook.

Paul Calf

South Park: The Fractured But Whole.

It's taken me nearly four years to spot the pun. I feel so stupid.

gib

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 31, 2021, 11:30:32 AM
Language is utterly infuriating. So many questions, and the answer is very often "We just don't know."

We don't know where the word 'dog' comes from.

'Word Origins And How We Know Them: Etymology for Everyone' by Anatoly Liberman is alright for this sort of thing.

QuoteAnother 08v10u5 thing that occurred to me a while ago is that people have lived by monuments like Stonehenge for about 10,000 years and at some point just collectively forgotten what they are and what they're for.

Small populations, no written record. The stones would have been fascinating to subsequent inhabitants but if you've got bigger worries like avoiding some plague or evil spirits or a boom in the bear population then the original builders' tribe might decide to fuck off elsewhere for a couple of generations. And then another tribe starts a load of grief, the stories get changed to suit the victors, that kind of thing.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 31, 2021, 06:08:56 PM
South Park: The Fractured But Whole.

First time I've heard of this piece of South Park media but that gave me a proper laugh.

bgmnts

QuoteBefore orange (the fruit) made its way from China to Europe, yellow-red was called simply that: yellow-red, or even just red. The English word 'orange', to describe the colour, ultimately comes from the Sanskrit term for the orange tree: nāraṅga.9 Mar 2018

Would have been better if it had a cool sounding word like kilrit or skibo but yellow-red makes sense.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 31, 2021, 11:34:30 PM
First time I've heard of this piece of South Park media but that gave me a proper laugh.

It's a video game so there's no particular reason that you'd have heard of it unless you play a lot of games.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 31, 2021, 01:25:33 PM
You don't need to be logged into Facebook to use Facebook messenger. You can just go to messenger.com to catch up with messages without having the temptation of doomscrolling the hellscape of Facebook.
In a similar vein, you can install Messenger Lite on Android (maybe Apple as well) and not have to install the main bloated as fuck Facebook App.

mjwilson

Quote from: Poobum on March 31, 2021, 11:42:38 AM
The Himba people are another fascinating example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgxyfqHRPoE
Even having it explained I still kinda believe I'm being trolled, because the greens are the same, and the blue is obvious.

It's OK, you are being trolled on that one, according to people who looked into it:

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=17970

mjwilson

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 30, 2021, 11:41:27 AM
Trying to think of other things that would be orange (so probably naturally occurring) in the 1500's.

I have seen it argued that the only reason we say "robin red-breast" is that the word orange didn't exist.

Sebastian Cobb

To be honest I can't say I've encountered 'robin red-breast' before.

bakabaka

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 02, 2021, 05:05:59 PM
To be honest I can't say I've encountered 'robin red-breast' before.

Poobum

Quote from: mjwilson on April 02, 2021, 05:01:54 PM
It's OK, you are being trolled on that one, according to people who looked into it:

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=17970

Oh, that's very interesting to read, I definitely saw it on the BBC, and was confused at how hard it was to find again, guess that explains why.

touchingcloth

The Ancient Greeks had no word for "sky" so they just used to use the word "colour" instead, so they'd say "Zeus is up there in the colour throwing down his lightning".

Paul Calf

Cat Stevens converted to Islam in 1977. I thought it was much later than that.

Paul Calf

And actually supported the death sentence for Salman Rushdie for his alleged blasphemy.

Paul Calf

Why does Gervais like this arsehole so much?

FredNurke

I always thought his love of cats was one of his redeeming features, but you've taken even that away from him now.

Icehaven

There's a variety of rose called American Beauty, hence the film's title and the rose/rose petal theme etc.

Paul Calf

^ is that an ()8\/10|_|5 thing? I didn't know that.

touchingcloth

The Frasier theme is filthy twice. As well as the tossed salads, it has the line "I've got you pegged".

NoSleep

Quote from: icehaven on April 03, 2021, 04:37:01 PM
There's a variety of rose called American Beauty, hence the film's title and the rose/rose petal theme etc.

Grateful Dead released an album of that name in 1970 (probably their best known album, aside from possibly Workingman's Dead or Live Dead), with an illustration of the rose of the same name:

Replies From View

There is a type of horse called Terminator 2, which is why James Cameron opted to use it as his title (for Terminator 2).

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on April 05, 2021, 06:08:00 PM
There is a type of horse called Terminator 2, which is why James Cameron opted to use it as his title (for Terminator 2).

Just googled this and it's true. Hat well and truly fucked.

NoSleep

Quote from: Replies From View on April 05, 2021, 06:08:00 PM

In the original script the juggernaut was not up against Arnie on a motorcycle.

touchingcloth

"Contact sport" means something different from what I thought, given that rugby is "full contact" while kickboxing is "semi contact".

Norton Canes

Venice is like some sort of island or shit

seepage

Not only that, it's an island on stilts.

Norton Canes

I mean 0bviously I knew it was all canals and that. I thought it was just a coastal city. Attached to the rest of the coast.

Basically I've gone through my whole life never having looked at a map of Venice.

Norton Canes

I only found out now because I've just taken delivery of the historian Roger Crowley's book City of Fortune - How Venice Won and Lost a Naval Empire and was looking at the map pages at the start. Well I don't mind telling you, this Roger Crowley fellow has already opened my mind to a few truths about Venice.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 07, 2021, 05:12:12 PM

Basically I've gone through my whole life never having looked at a map of Venice.

I only realised just a couple of years ago where Venice is and for some reason always assumed it was down near the 'heel' of Italy.