Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on June 19, 2021, 12:48:19 PM
They specifically picked something that sounded like Lazio because Gazza had just signed for them.

and because he is a lazy fuck

Replies From View

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 19, 2021, 08:20:00 PM
Annoying American nerd-culture pinup boy Will Wheaton is not annoying American nerd-culture pinup boy Joss Whedon.

both weed on though

seepage

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 19, 2021, 08:20:00 PM
Annoying American nerd-culture pinup boy Will Wheaton is not annoying American nerd-culture pinup boy Joss Whedon.

Arrghh - I'd forgotten about Wil Wheaton. Now look what you've gone and done.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: seepage on June 20, 2021, 10:04:41 AM
Arrghh - I'd forgotten about Wil Wheaton. Now look what you've gone and done.

He was in Stand By Me, so it's not all bad.

Paul Calf

Kerosene and paraffin are the same thing.

gib

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 20, 2021, 11:12:24 AM
Kerosene and paraffin are the same thing.

did you just watch a youtube about hurricane lamps?

touchingcloth

My rewatch of Frasier is up to series 7, which is from 1999/2000. The KACL studio still has a big wall of cassettes, but surely they'd have been using CDs by then, as presumably they're not DATs/LTOs??

Sebastian Cobb

Broadcast carts probably, for holding jingles, ad reels etc. They were in use around then eventually getting killed off by minidisc and/or computerised playout.

Paul Calf

Quote from: gib on June 20, 2021, 12:54:44 PM
did you just watch a youtube about hurricane lamps?

:) Technology Connections

touchingcloth

French plurals are formed with an x, so I'm not mad to think that château and gateau sometimes randomly gain an x, it's just a plural thing.

MojoJojo

Agggh fucking hell, the reason Zuckerberg has that stupid haircut is because it's a Caesars'* haircut. That's not worrying at all.

(*Either Augustus, who he's a big fan of, or Tiberius his successor. It looks more like Tiberius).

olliebean

The music on the current Warner Brothers Television logo is the same tune as the "For Mash Get Smash" jingle.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: olliebean on June 21, 2021, 12:03:46 PM
The music on the current Warner Brothers Television logo is the same tune as the "For Mash Get Smash" jingle.

Yeah I've thought that too whenever those 4 notes blast out at the end of the end credits.
A few times I've seen the beginning of a film where they play a little more of the tune so you hear it in context but then they spoil it by blasting out those 4 notes extra loud so it still reminds you of Smash, something like "You must remember this, a kiss is just a kiss, FOR MASH GET SMASH!"

touchingcloth

Quote from: buzby on January 28, 2021, 02:59:14 PM
QuoteToday I saw a Warner Bros. film and at the start it played the first notes of 'As Time Goes By' but when it got to the end bit it went really loud, so to me even though it was in context it still sounded like "You must remember this, a kiss is just a kiss, WHEN MASH GET SMASH!"

'For Mash, Get Smash'.
The jingle was written by the big band composer/arranger Cliff Adams (of the Cliff Adams Singers). When his style of music went out of fashion, he became the presenter of Radio 2's Sing Something Simple and an advert jingle composer.

As well as the Smash jingle he wrote the Lonely Man Theme for Strand Cigarettes and the jingles for Fairy Liquid, Double Diamond beer, Murray Mints, Milk Tray and Fry's Turkish Delight (the original 1960s one, not the 70s ambient flute & synth one that Limmy is a fan of, though that does use his sting at the end). It's reckoned that he was responsible for about 80% of the ad jingles heard on TV  between 1955 and the late-60s, and at the time he was in the studio every day cranking new jingles out every 90 minutes.

JesusAndYourBush

Yeah that's ok, Buzby was quoting me, I'm allowed to plagiarise my own posts, I asked myself and I said it was fine.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 21, 2021, 12:36:23 PM
Yeah that's ok, Buzby was quoting me, I'm allowed to plagiarise my own posts, I asked myself and I said it was fine.

I remembered it being mentioned in this thread, so I went back to hunt for the original post. In my memory, though, it was me who posted it before getting a response from buzby, so we can be a pair of glory-seeking plagiarists together.

Once noticed it cannot be fucking unheard, though. I think of spuds every time I see the logo now.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 21, 2021, 12:52:59 PM
I remembered it being mentioned in this thread, so I went back to hunt for the original post. In my memory, though, it was me who posted it before getting a response from buzby, so we can be a pair of glory-seeking plagiarists together.

Once noticed it cannot be fucking unheard, though. I think of spuds every time I see the logo now.

Yes, just tracked it back and you seem to have posted about it first, last December, in the previous Obvious Things thread. I wasn't plagiarising, though, just realising the same thing several months later.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 21, 2021, 10:30:33 AM
Agggh fucking hell, the reason Zuckerberg has that stupid haircut is because it's a Caesars'* haircut. That's not worrying at all.

(*Either Augustus, who he's a big fan of, or Tiberius his successor. It looks more like Tiberius).
It's normally associated with men going bald, a comb-forward rather than a comb-over. If that makes it any better.

Sebastian Cobb

One of my mates has one of them. Usually looks like it's been lacquered as well. He looks a bit like a cross between a young Mark Knopfler and the late Miguel Ferrer.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 21, 2021, 05:24:24 PM
a cross between a young Mark Knopfler and the late Miguel Ferrer.

Good god.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 21, 2021, 10:30:33 AM

Augustus, yes. It was discussed on the Zuck episode(s?) of Behind the Bastards.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on June 21, 2021, 07:23:01 PM
Augustus, yes. It was discussed on the Zuck episode(s?) of Behind the Bastards.

Well, yes, that's where I got it from. But I googled it and it actually looks closer to Tiberius' do - although they're pretty similar. And other people think that's what he's copied too.

Dusty Substance

Over the weekend a friend posted Trigger Hippie by Morcheeba - A song I haven't thought of for over 20 years from a band I've only regarded as a punchline for the last 20 years - and I realised it's a pun on "Trigger Happy".

Mary is not amused

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 21, 2021, 09:41:06 AM
French plurals are formed with an x, so I'm not mad to think that château and gateau sometimes randomly gain an x, it's just a plural thing.

Not a plural thing; a plurality thing. The famously linguistically laissez-faire French take great cares not to misgender their castles and cakes.

zomgmouse

Blue Jam

Looking at watches today I found this:

Seems bloody obvious that this is how day and date displays work but the thought had never occurred to me before today. D'oh.

Twonty Gostelow

The DPD parcel logo is a stylized DPD.

Blue Jam

^^^ tbf I don't think that one's all that obvious.

Ferris

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 23, 2021, 02:38:32 PM
The DPD parcel logo is a stylized DPD.

Is it?! I still can't make that out.

touchingcloth

I think your brain needs to fill in lines which aren't very obviously there at all for it to work:

But it doesn't scream DPD at me even like that.