Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:32:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

Ferris

There is a country called Mauritania I've literally never heard of. They have non-decimalized currency.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania

Every time I'd come across it previously I blithely assumed the author had done a shit job of spelling Mauritius.

Poobum

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 16, 2021, 12:32:31 AM
There is a country called Mauritania I've literally never heard of. They have non-decimalized currency.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania

Every time I'd come across it previously I blithely assumed the author had done a shit job of spelling Mauritius.

Named after the roman province of the same name I think, also has bride fattening camps, really long trains and a lotta slavery. Funky place.

buttgammon

Quote from: Poobum on February 16, 2021, 06:24:47 PM
Named after the roman province of the same name I think, also has bride fattening camps, really long trains and a lotta slavery. Funky place.

I recently saw a YouTube video where a guy went on one of the trains, so I learned a bit about the country (which seemed pretty weird). It seems they don't have many passenger trains but the really long ones are used to service an iron ore mine which is some way inland, transporting the goods to the coast.

pigamus

There's a thing on Twitter about how many people seem to think Dubai is a country.

Ah...

Icehaven

Quote from: pigamus on February 16, 2021, 09:29:18 PM
There's a thing on Twitter about how many people seem to think Dubai is a country.

Ah...

Well it's an emirate, which we don't have. Is an emirate like a county?

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on February 16, 2021, 09:43:17 PM
Well it's an emirate, which we don't have. Is an emirate like a county?

I've always thought of them as being somewhere between a federal state and a country. Given that they're ruled as absolute monarchies they're more like a country than a state is, even if it's the federation which is represented at the UN and whatnot.

Probably not too dissimilar to the kingdoms of England before they were unified under a single king?

touchingcloth

"O" in phrases like "O ye of little faith" isn't an exclamation of surprise ("Oh! Look at you with your zero faith!")[nb]Cf. "O Canada, our home and native land", not like "Oh! Calcutta!"[/nb] but is an example of an English vocative. It could be swapped with someone's name, like "Ian, ye of little faith". I've always learned that "Jesu" is the Latin vocative for Jesus rather than an alternative form.

Wank me, Jesu!

Sebastian Cobb

The guy who shot Cyrus in The Warriors was also Jerry Horne.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 17, 2021, 10:42:33 PM
The guy who shot Cyrus in The Warriors was also Jerry Horne.

I bet he is, the dirty old bollocks.

Dex Sawash

The thread title has got 2021 in it

Marner and Me

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 16, 2021, 11:14:14 PM
"O" in phrases like "O ye of little faith" isn't an exclamation of surprise ("Oh! Look at you with your zero faith!")[nb]Cf. "O Canada, our home and native land", not like "Oh! Calcutta!"[/nb] but is an example of an English vocative. It could be swapped with someone's name, like "Ian, ye of little faith". I've always learned that "Jesu" is the Latin vocative for Jesus rather than an alternative form.

Wank me, Jesu!
Would he use his hand in the conventional manner, or the hole in it like a primitive flesh light?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 18, 2021, 08:00:22 AM
Would he use his hand in the conventional manner, or the hole in it like a primitive flesh light?

Well he has two hands, each with a hole in it. Who wouldn't want to experience him threading the needle with one hand as he strokes with the other (and switching whether the hole or the fist was on top or bottom[nb]020210usly, you fucking TWAT. Do you think I'm not going to get him to try both ways?[/nb]), and who wouldn't ask him to use both holes at once? He could go up-and-down in unison with them, or out of phase so one is going up while the other is going down, and they meet in the middle and reverse at the tip/base?

JESU, LUBRICATE THE STIGMATA[nb]He could turn water into lube. The perfect lover.[/nb]

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 18, 2021, 02:06:12 AM
The thread title has got 2021 in it

Seven weeks later and the thread title still threatens to give me an epileptic fit every time I glance at it.

Thanks to a recent episode of The Best Show, it's only just been made apparent to me that these types of novelty pop star mirrors that were big in the 70s and early 80s were sold and used as coke mirrors: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1977-bee-gees-mirror-11-8-1900893859 rather than just for decoration use.

A few years ago I bought a Bee Gees mirror from a chazza, similar to the one in the above link, which still hangs on my wall. I'm no innocent angel when it comes to cocaine but the true purpose of these mirrirs never dawned on me until just a couple of days ago.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 16, 2021, 11:14:14 PMCf. "O Canada, our home and native land", not like "Oh! Calcutta!"
This might be obvious, though it was more of a hat shagger to me, but the title Oh! Calcutta! comes from a mishearing of 'Oh what an ass you have' in French - O quel cul t'as.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on February 18, 2021, 07:05:56 PM
This might be obvious, though it was more of a hat shagger to me, but the title Oh! Calcutta! comes from a mishearing of 'Oh what an ass you have' in French - O quel cul t'as.

I never knew that one either. It's like https://www.wikiwand.com/en/L.H.O.O.Q. .

Similarly, I only discovered recently that Robert Wyatt got the name for his band Matching Mole as a pun - Machine Molle, the French translation of the name of Wyatt's previous group Soft Machine.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 18, 2021, 07:37:26 PM
I never knew that one either. It's like https://www.wikiwand.com/en/L.H.O.O.Q. .

Similarly, I only discovered recently that Robert Wyatt got the name for his band Matching Mole as a pun - Machine Molle, the French translation of the name of Wyatt's previous group Soft Machine.

I didn't know it either, but for a time my profile text on here was "she is hot in the arse" after LHOOQ. It's quite shameful that Legend Damien Hirst never named any of his formaldehyde vats that.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 16, 2021, 11:14:14 PM
"O" in phrases like "O ye of little faith" isn't an exclamation of surprise ... (O, Canada!) ... but is an example of an English vocative. It could be swapped with someone's name, like "Ian, ye of little faith!"

Ian Canada.

petril

famethrowa

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 18, 2021, 07:37:26 PM

Peugeot made a sports car called the RCZ, I really thought that might be a sophisticated French pun in the Duchamp style, like "Arsey Zee/Zed" meaning something.... sadly it just stands for Race Car Zero, boring

The surname of Robert Halfon MP is another word for a semi-erect penis.

studpuppet

Quote from: famethrowa on February 19, 2021, 11:20:52 AM
Peugeot made a sports car called the RCZ, I really thought that might be a sophisticated French pun in the Duchamp style, like "Arsey Zee/Zed" meaning something.... sadly it just stands for Race Car Zero, boring

German firms have a thing about about making brand names out of phonetic spellings of initials, eg:

Ihagee (cameras) - from IHG (i-ha-gee)
Kaweco (pens) - KW Company (Ka-We-Co)
Vaude (outdoor gear) - VD (not quite so catchy in English-speaking markets)

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 18, 2021, 05:51:35 PMA few years ago I bought a Bee Gees mirror from a chazza, similar to the one in the above link, which still hangs on my wall. I'm no innocent angel when it comes to cocaine but the true purpose of these mirrirs never dawned on me until just a couple of days ago.

Wait till you see the size of the Gibb spoons - back when I was into such fripperies a McDonald's spoon was plenty.

popcorn

I'm asking this question in the hope that the answer is obvious to someone else because I just realised I don't know this, can't find it on google and it isn't worth starting a thread over:

Does the money the government gets from tax get put in a particular place based on the kind of tax, or does it all just go into the same government bucket?

For example, does tax from booze and cigs go directly to finding the NHS or does it just go into the treasury and they can decide to give the NHS whatever based on all the money they have together?

I assume it's the latter but now I'm curious if it's more complicated.

touchingcloth

Quote from: popcorn on February 22, 2021, 02:30:58 AM
I'm asking this question in the hope that the answer is obvious to someone else because I just realised I don't know this, can't find it on google and it isn't worth starting a thread over:

Does the money the government gets from tax get put in a particular place based on the kind of tax, or does it all just go into the same government bucket?

For example, does tax from booze and cigs go directly to finding the NHS or does it just go into the treasury and they can decide to give the NHS whatever based on all the money they have together?

I assume it's the latter but now I'm curious if it's more complicated.

A bit of both:

"Consolidated fund" or "consolidated revenue fund" is a term used in many states with political systems derived from the Westminster system to describe the main bank account of the government. General taxation is taxation paid into the consolidated fund for general spending, as opposed to hypothecated taxes earmarked for specific purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_Fund

There are some special cases of hypothecation, too. For example the government withdraw as coins the road tax paid by cyclists and use them to fill potholes.

Ferris

I fucking hate hypothecated taxes, worst ones in my opinion.

touchingcloth

I'll hypothecate your arse, pal.

dissolute ocelot

Imagine a world where defence spending was funded by tax on booze and benefits by tax on fags. You'd have to smoke like a chimney and stay sober all the time. it would be a nightmare.

Sebastian Cobb

Be good if they legalised and taxed weed that as then you could stay at home smoking that and you'd be doing your bit for the benefits.

Paul Calf

If you strip all the rings of bark from a tree, you'll get a representation of what that tree looked like when it was a sapling.

Dusty Substance

Never seen it but I've long been aware of a film called Irma Vep (from 1996), but I only realised today that it's an anagram of "vampire". I'm usually shit hot with noticing anagrams.