Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:41:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite name for a video games company

Started by beanheadmcginty, January 06, 2021, 07:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Completely separate from their actual output, what are your favourite names for video games companies old or new?

I always liked the confident-sounding Mastertronic, whereas Ultimate Play The Game confused me at the time but in hindsight sounds pretty cool. And I know they're big cunts, but Electronic Arts is actually a decent name. Maybe I particularly like ones with "tronic" in them. Was there ever one called "Gin & Tronic" I wonder.

Oh, and Llamasoft is a given of course.

Mister Six

Psygnosis always sounded very cool and mysterious, and Team 17 sounds like some cool mid-90s superhero comic. Quite like Naughty Dog, but the whimsical name doesn't fit the vibe of most of their games.

Much like their real-life namesakes, Rockstar sounded cool and confident at first, but now just seem a bit bloated and hubristic thanks to their industry dominance and overproduced output.

I guess System 3 has the same format as Team 17 but it had a cool science fictonal vibe that I liked.

I too was confused by Ultimate Play The Game, and sadly it hasn't grown on me.

frajer

The Bitmap Brothers sounded like a cool hard-as-nails gang to my young brain, the sort of older lads with a bad rep but decent sorts who'd step in and sort out any cunt with a casually authoritative "what's the problem here then?"

earl_sleek

Magnetic Scrolls was a pretty cool name. Silicon Knights as well.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I dunno, but I will say that CD Projekt Red is an irredeemably shit name.

Cold Meat Platter

Quite like Postal edgelords Running With Scissors

samadriel

Epic Megagames clearly made the best type of game.

Lungpuddle

If Naughty Dog made games like Jazzpunk or The Stanley Parable, they would be my favourite. But they don't. So Galactic Cafe and Necrophone Games but only because of the quality of their games (one each) which is probably missing the point.

Sin Agog

I don't trust Feral Interactive.  They sound positively undignified.

I do quite like the name and games of Atlus, though.

beanheadmcginty

Mindscape was another good one.
The errant "r" in Infogrames pissed me off no end.

Pink Gregory

Introversion is a perfect name for a developer.  I don't really know if an extrovert would want to manage a prison or strategise nuclear war.

Jerzy Bondov

Neversoft sounds sort of fantastical and 90s gothic but also could be about priapism.

I loved From Software, mainly because of how badly it scans in sentences and the cloth eared attempts by press sub editors to "correct" it.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 07, 2021, 04:36:39 AM
The errant "r" in Infogrames pissed me off no end.

The founders originally wanted to call Infogrames Zboub Système, which roughly translates as Dick System, until their lawyers advised that it would be a really bad idea.

St_Eddie

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 06, 2021, 07:36:10 PM
Ultimate Play The Game confused me at the time but in hindsight sounds pretty cool.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 06, 2021, 07:57:23 PM

I had always assumed that Ultimate Play the Game ought to be pronounced as "Ultimate - Play the Game", with a pause between the words "ultimate" and "play", much in the same way that the advertisement voiceover used to say "Electronic Arts - It's in the Game!"

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sorry, I seem to be focusing entirely on shit names, and I've got another one, also from Poland:
Bloober Team, creators of Observer, that game with Rutger Hauer.
Bloober? The fuck is that? You're not even trying now, are you?

popcorn

I've always liked how Nintendo manages to be both a Japanese word but doesn't seem foreign, if that makes any sense. I don't think that's purely down to familiarity. There's something wholesome and round about it. I think it's the do. Dough. Delicious.

samadriel

Quote from: popcorn on January 07, 2021, 12:09:45 PM
I've always liked how Nintendo manages to be both a Japanese word but doesn't seem foreign, if that makes any sense. I don't think that's purely down to familiarity. There's something wholesome and round about it. I think it's the do. Dough. Delicious.
Like Atari! American company, but a Japanese word. I think we're just accustomed to these names though, i don't know that they really sound that Western.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on January 07, 2021, 12:09:45 PM

"Nintendo does what Genesis don't".  Lots of undiscovered moralistic Sega employees, buried out in the Nevada Desert .. real wholesome.

Consignia

It's just words that enter you vocab from young don't sound foreign. Does Samsung sound Korean? Just sounds like a word to me.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Psygnosis always sounded very cool and mysterious
This was the first thing that popped into my head. I think I've been mispronouncing it for much of my life though: I've always said (or thought) "SIG-no-sis", rather than "sigh-NO-sis". The latter pronunciation sounds like some sort of druggie music thing - most likely prog rock, or '90s dance music.

Fr.Bigley

Also helped that they had that kick ass owl logo and developed the coolest racing game ever.

bgmnts

I like Wales Interactive because it's incredibly plain, like a Ronseal product.

Raven Software was a cool name too because ravens are the tits.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 07, 2021, 02:18:49 PM
I like Wales Interactive because it's incredibly plain, like a Ronseal product.

Scunthorpe Interactive.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 07, 2021, 01:39:14 PM
This was the first thing that popped into my head. I think I've been mispronouncing it for much of my life though: I've always said (or thought) "SIG-no-sis", rather than "sigh-NO-sis". The latter pronunciation sounds like some sort of druggie music thing - most likely prog rock, or '90s dance music.

I've always called it SIG-no-sis as well. Is there something somewhere proving that we're wrong?

The Microsoft first party studios have terrible names, Playground Games, 343 Industries, The Coalition. Shite.

popcorn

Quote from: Consignia on January 07, 2021, 12:59:31 PM
It's just words that enter you vocab from young don't sound foreign. Does Samsung sound Korean? Just sounds like a word to me.

It's impossible to see it objectively when you grow up with a word but I think Nintendo, written down, just resembles existing western words/shapes/vowels ("intend", "do"). Unlike, say, the Japanese words karaoke, tsunami or okonomiyaki.

Bazooka

I always liked Traveller's Tales logo, doesn't sound like a software company, Ocean too.

badaids

Psygnosis always sounded very cool and mysterious, and Team 17 sounds like some cool mid-90s superhero comic. Quite like Naughty Dog, but the whimsical name doesn't fit the vibe of most of their games.

Much like their real-life namesakes, Rockstar sounded cool and confident at first, but now just seem a bit bloated and hubristic thanks to their industry dominance and overproduced output.

I guess System 3 has the same format as Team 17 but it had a cool science fictonal vibe that I liked.

I always thought psygnosis was a cool name, and psyglapse their subsidiary, with the same style logo but in red.

I'll never forget playing Blood Money for the first time with the hi-res (for then) splash screen graphics of the box art, the 'Psygnosis presents a DMA Design game... BLOOD MONEY', and the top tunes that sounds like it had been done by vince Clarke or speeches mode. All that totally blew me away.

DMA Design was a cool name too.  As was Thalamus who also had a phase of putting out top quality games like Armalyte, Retrograde and Creatures.

Urinal Cake

From Software simple and funny
Squaresoft nerdy
BioWare clever
Electronic Arts clever
Tokyo RPG Factory direct to the point