Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite name for a video games company

Started by beanheadmcginty, January 06, 2021, 07:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

"Electronic Arts" used to make me think of Rolo to the Rescue. They're a very different flavour of nerdy now.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

EA's old logo always confused me.

The square and triangle obviously represent E and A, so what's the circle there for? Electronic Owl Arts?

Mister Six

I used to pronounce Psygnosis "sige-no-sis", which seems to be the only unequivocally wrong way, according to this thread.

EDIT: Fucking hell, I was right! And I never even played Blood Money.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 07, 2021, 09:51:19 AM
Neversoft sounds sort of fantastical and 90s gothic but also could be about priapism.

++++Karma

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2021, 10:14:01 AM
I had always assumed that Ultimate Play the Game ought to be pronounced as "Ultimate - Play the Game", with a pause between the words "ultimate" and "play", much in the same way that the advertisement voiceover used to say "Electronic Arts - It's in the Game!"

Yeah me too - until I realised there was no colon or dash to create the appropriate pause, so the title must mean that there are several Play-The-Games, and this is the best (or last) one.

St_Eddie

Chedney Honks

Crap ones off the top of my head:

Naughty Dog
Bend
Ready At Dawn
Activision
The Coalition (as mentioned, almost physically embarrassing that enough people think this sounds cool, so American, kind of cunt who says their title will take immersion to a whole new level)

St_Eddie

BULLFROG

And Syndicate was a great game. I was too young to know what the hell you were supposed to do but it was a lot of fun flame throwering little people.

Bubble Bus: Fun to say out loud, and the logo was just charming. And they released Starquake!

U.S. Gold: To teenage me it sounded very foreign and exclusive indeed, though of course most of what they released was very far from the gold standard they aspired to.

Urinal Cake

Vanillaware who made the Odin's Sphere, a great but fanservicy game.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 08, 2021, 08:14:46 PM
Vanillaware who made the Odin's Sphere, a great but fanservicy game.

Maybe I'm just inured at this point, but I don't remember it being that fanservicey.  Possibly a couple of spritey, brassiere-heavy outfits, but otherwise it's quite a sensitive game in a way.  That one's really fucking long, but their games are all great evolutions of side scrolling beat em ups.

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on January 08, 2021, 06:52:12 PMBULLFROG

Great logo as well!
I loved the populous and magic carpet games. Don't think I ever played syndicate. I remember it being huge though.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on January 08, 2021, 09:37:53 PM
Great logo as well!
I loved the populous and magic carpet games. Don't think I ever played syndicate. I remember it being huge though.
Go play Dungeon Keeper right now. Don't worry about your wife and kids, this is more important.

Blue Jam

I do enjoy saying Squeenix.

Also wondering if everyone at The Valve Corporation is in fact an utter valve.

Blue Jam

I loved Superliminal and Pillow Castle is a nice name isn't it?

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 08, 2021, 08:39:35 PM
Maybe I'm just inured at this point, but I don't remember it being that fanservicey.  Possibly a couple of spritey, brassiere-heavy outfits, but otherwise it's quite a sensitive game in a way.  That one's really fucking long, but their games are all great evolutions of side scrolling beat em ups.
I think the artwork was a bit too cute and chibiesque to go with the busts and risque outfits.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on January 08, 2021, 06:52:12 PM
...Syndicate was a great game. I was too young to know what the hell you were supposed to do but it was a lot of fun flame throwering little people.

Dwarfist!

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on January 08, 2021, 09:37:53 PM
Great logo as well!
I loved the populous and magic carpet games.

Theme Park and Theme Hospital for me.

the

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 07, 2021, 10:49:34 PMEA's old logo always confused me.

The square and triangle obviously represent E and A, so what's the circle there for? Electronic Owl Arts?

They sometimes used the sphere/circle to represent the 'O' in 'Electronic':

But the three shapes are also there to represent geometric primitives.

beanheadmcginty

Makes me want to fire up Deluxe Paint III.

St_Eddie

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 11, 2021, 12:42:01 PM
Makes me want to fire up Deluxe Paint III.

I bet it fucking does, you dirty old bollocks.

Fronty Prongs

Free Radical and Pandemic Studios always sounded cool to my younger self.

Stuck TimeSplitters II on recently actually, holds up really well.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Fronty Prongs on January 11, 2021, 05:09:04 PM
Free Radical and Pandemic Studios always sounded cool to my younger self.
What do you think of the latter one now?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Fronty Prongs on January 11, 2021, 05:09:04 PM
Stuck TimeSplitters II on recently actually, holds up really well.

Monkey magic, monkey magic.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Bazooka on January 07, 2021, 06:17:14 PM

I always liked Traveller's Tales logo, doesn't sound like a software company, Ocean too.

That little 'Tt' that you see on a tiny splashscreen in the Lego games is no replacement.

buzby

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 07, 2021, 01:39:14 PM
This was the first thing that popped into my head. I think I've been mispronouncing it for much of my life though: I've always said (or thought) "SIG-no-sis", rather than "sigh-NO-sis". The latter pronunciation sounds like some sort of druggie music thing - most likely prog rock, or '90s dance music.
I think you are correct on the prog rock allusions - their name seems to be a reference to Storm Thorgeson's design house, and they got Roger Dean to do the box art on their 16-bit era releases.

I always liked Imagine...the name of the game (who unlike Ultimate, at least had the decency to put a couple of full stops between the name and subtitle in their logo). Their demise led to ex=-empoyees setting up a cluster of development houses in Liverpool (including Psygnosis).

The -bird related sublabels of Telecomsoft (Firebird, Rainbird and Silverbird) were pretty cool-sounding too.

Pseudopath

Always liked the name Gremlin Graphics and was fascinated/terrified by this logo when I was a kid:

Their later logos (the horrible extruded 3D monstrosity and that weird Shrek snake thing) can get to aggregated fuck.