Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump supporters storming Congress [split topic]

Started by Mister Six, January 06, 2021, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 16, 2021, 12:18:11 PM
It's not really asking women to be treated as special little flowers to say that a man typing that a woman deserves 'a sharp stiff slap' and is a bitch doesn't look good and I wondered if my post might be an opportunity to consider why that was.

Based on your reply, it is clear you are fully able to dig your own grave. This is the last of my input on the matter.

Equality means not treating anyone differently based upon their gender. That you do... well, that speaks to your own double standards, I'd say.

Having said that, I will concede that wishing violence upon her or any of the other people who stormed congress was a bit rum on my part.  I don't genuinely think that's what should happen.  I'm merely venting at idiots.  I'm angry and frustrated.  However, my point still stands that you're treating a person differently as worthy of special treatment based upon their gender.

Pointless to get bogged down in this discussion though, so let's agree to disagree and leave it be.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 16, 2021, 12:31:56 PM
, so let's agree to disagree and leave it be.

The one thing we didn't want to happen

Barry Admin

Not entirely convinced that "equality" is best served by using sexist, gendered insults indiscriminately.

It's the Bernard Manning argument really, isn't it? "I'm an equal opportunity offender." Okay, well done. I feel silly now for not recognising how noble those racist jokes actually were.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 16, 2021, 12:44:02 PM
Not entirely convinced that "equality" is best served by using sexist, gendered insults indiscriminately.

Yes and I'm sure that you're equally offended when a man is described as a "prick".  It's the hypocrisy which irks me.  I can only say that I'm not a bigoted person.  I fundamentally believe in equality to my very core.  I'f people here knew me in real-life they'd know that, as my friends do.  That's the problem with communicating over the Internet; one's words tend to be taken in bad faith because the person on the other end of screen can't see the individuality and personality.

Bernice

It's only hypocrisy if you remove the entire context of gender relations as they exist within society. It's just "I can't be racist, I don't see race" transplanted into misogyny. It's an infant's understanding of equality.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bernice on January 16, 2021, 12:52:17 PM
It's only hypocrisy if you remove the entire context of gender relations as they exist within society. It's just "I can't be racist, I don't see race" transplanted into misogyny. It's an infant's understanding of equality.

I can see your point and I do agree.  I suppose it's easy for me to treat everything and everyone as equal and to use equal equivalent terminology because that's the perspective I'm coming from; one of equality and as someone who's never had to face being a woman and having misogynistic comments flung my way.  You're absolutely correct; I really ought to consider the wider context and be more considerable of my words in future.

Buelligan

I love it when we all listen to one another.  Thank you beautiful CaB humans.

bgmnts

It's not really asking women to be treated as special little flowers to say that a man typing that a woman deserves 'a sharp stiff slap' and is a bitch doesn't look good and I wondered if my post might be an opportunity to consider why that was.

Based on your reply, it is clear you are fully able to dig your own grave. This is the last of my input on the matter.

Stop being a little bitch before you get a sharp, stiff slap.

Bernice

St_Eddie

I do a phenomenal job of making myself look like the biggest prick in the world though, you got to give me that much.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: phantom_power on January 16, 2021, 11:44:33 AM
These cunts just think they can do whatever they want with no repercussions, which in the main is probably true.

I'm sure it's partly whiteness and American entitlement. But also the president basically told them to do it. That's where they're coming from. The president of the world basically confused them and short circuited their brains by saying a lie 7 days a week without respite for 2 months (edit, technically he's been undermining democracy for 5 years), finishing with a battle cry and incitement to attack on that day.

They were just doing what they were told and they were convinced, absolutely 100% no room for a shred of doubt convinced, that they were doing the right thing and fighting an injustice. Listen to the vitriol from the true believers, it's the same as the Scientology people who stalk and harass the former members, the "suppressive people".

Taken in that context is it really that surprising they feel confident enough to ask for a pardon? The president told me to do this and now I'm in the wrong? How?

How many people take a plane and travel hundreds if not thousands of miles to protest? The BLM people probably just wandered down the road of their local city and held up a few signs.

Thomas

Mm - the idea of a giving a woman 'a sharp, stiff slap' doesn't conjure a vision of egalitarianism. Man-on-woman violence is historically loaded, it has a context. There are better ways to put across your egalitarianism than to consciously hark back to classic images of misogyny.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thomas on January 16, 2021, 02:33:27 PM
Mm - the idea of a giving a woman 'a sharp, stiff slap' doesn't conjure a vision of egalitarianism. Man-on-woman violence is historically loaded, it has a context. There are better ways to put across your egalitarianism than to consciously hark back to classic images of misogyny.

That's what Shoulder's meant, I think.

Thomas

Yeah, I was just agreeing with him/needlessly spelling it out.

I also missed the above exchange and Eddie's response. Sorry all! Slap me.

Fry

pancreas

Quote from: Fry on January 16, 2021, 04:37:27 PM
Can I say I want to shit in her mouth?

You can try it, and see what happens to your account.

darby o chill

Alex Jones weighs in with predictable false flag BS but an interesting quote about Qanon. They all seem to be turning against each other. Oh, he's posing in front of his personal armoured vehicle. Also some great footage of him waddling towards the riot.

https://thedonald.win/p/11S0lCSBT3/warning-from-alex-jones-upcoming/c/

QuoteQ is a globalist, Chi-com, big tech system to manipulate you... if you think you're on a secret mission with the president, you're wrong. Do not be part of it.

checkoutgirl

"Go back to your home and places of businesses"

checkoutgirl

There's a great bit of video of Alex Jones in the Trump rabble where he's shouting "Listen! Listen!"

But nobody pays him any attention so he just gives up and goes "USA!! USA!!". Which the crowd quickly join in with. Bunch of eejits.

Jones is furious and has turned on Qanon. His schtick only works when he is the most extreme conspiracy lunatic in the room. It's finally dawned on him that Qanon are more extreme than him so he has denounced them on his little show. Imagine Alex Jones denouncing your conspiracy theories as too extreme.

America has a serious and deep rooted problem with disinformation going back decades. Maybe they could reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. Regulate Facebook and other conspiracy spreaders might help. Change the engagement algorithm. They're fucked until they do something.

People in America seem shocked at what happened but they have a tradition of civil unrest, assassination, conspiracies, foreign and domestic terrorism etc. Four American presidents have been assassinated.

Very gratifying to see Trump fizzle out and be abandoned by his administration.

QDRPHNC

Jones is probably also shitting himself that lots of people he helped fire up are now committing crimes that aren't being ignored.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 16, 2021, 01:39:46 PM
I do a phenomenal job of making myself look like the biggest prick in the world though, you got to give me that much.

Please refrain from referring to men as pricks.  It offends me.

On a more serious note, the bgmnts reference to your post is very funny, so I suppose something good came of it.

darby o chill

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 17, 2021, 01:02:23 PM
Jones is furious and has turned on Qanon. His schtick only works when he is the most extreme conspiracy lunatic in the room. It's finally dawned on him that Qanon are more extreme than him so he has denounced them on his little show. Imagine Alex Jones denouncing your conspiracy theories as too extreme.

This is it. It was all fun & games when he was the Conspiracy King, peddling 'health supplements' to thick yokels. But now he's aghast at exactly how thick they are, believing the most hilarious fairytales made up by obvious trolls on 8kun/4chan. Last week they were saying Trump made a secret gesture during his speech, in morse code no less. Also this:

Ferris

^There was a good profile in the NY Times this morning about a prominent Q poster and she'd basically always been a bit loopy and just gone full-on during lock down, and found a community of people online who made her feel less alone. I absolutely understand that, it's the mega paedo blood drinking conspiracy angle that gets me.

I don't think in their heart of hearts the majority of the Q adherents believe all this stuff. It's a community for disaffected lonely people, with a tiny number of true believers (him in the horned hat) and grifters (Jones, Flynn et al) tacked on.

Wild predictions like the above are ten a penny on 4chan (and in misinformation movements in general) - say something that feels true even if you know it isn't when you post it, wait for people to latch on, enjoy praise for being a patriot and "staying vigilant", get lots of engagement from like-minded people you don't get elsewhere in your day to day life, and have it feel like an MMO with the "other side" being a three letter acronym like in a call of duty game.

As for Jones - I thought he'd gone bankrupt after the sandy hook lawsuit?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: pigamus on January 16, 2021, 10:34:43 AM
Maybe they all have to formally resign? I dunno.

They don't have to, but it's traditional that cabinet secretaries resign just before an inauguration to spare the new president (or even the old one, if it's a second termer) the indignity of firing them.

While St_Eddie was wrong to use a gendered insult, there's no reason why the sharp, stiff slap in the face couldn't come from another woman.

Alberon

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Alberon on January 17, 2021, 01:52:07 PM
What about a non-binary person?

Just convert to binary.  It's simple maths really. 

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 16, 2021, 12:53:10 PM
I can see your point and I do agree.  I suppose it's easy for me to treat everything and everyone as equal and to use equal equivalent terminology because that's the perspective I'm coming from; one of equality and as someone who's never had to face being a woman and having misogynistic comments flung my way.  You're absolutely correct; I really ought to consider the wider context and be more considerable of my words in future.

This shit is why i love cab