Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:45:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump supporters storming Congress [split topic]

Started by Mister Six, January 06, 2021, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 16, 2021, 01:59:41 PM
They were just doing what they were told and they were convinced, absolutely 100% no room for a shred of doubt convinced, that they were doing the right thing and fighting an injustice.

Same is true of extremist Muslim terrorists, of course.

GoblinAhFuckScary

You can extend that logic to exonerate anyone for any single thing can't you now

Bernice

Yeah and also sorry for telling you to shut the fuck up, St. Eddie. Was done with an eye roll rather than a clenched fist, if that means anything.

steve98

When one goes "weee...", we all go "weee..."

Seriously though, I bet Phil Spector (RIP) was Q.
Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

Fambo Number Mive

That reporter is very brave. I'm surprised they were ok with him filming.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 19, 2021, 05:51:07 PM
Surprised no one's posted this yet:

Controversy brews over Universal Studios' new VR ride

Greenwald posted a bit (from 6:30) of this earlier on twitter.  Amazing stuff with the police officer politely asking them "if it's possible to leave" the most "sacred" of places.

idunnosomename

Q Shaman is bald. incredible. everyone is bald and fat and white with a neckbeard. this is how the Trump presidency will be remembered

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 19, 2021, 06:48:04 PM
That reporter is very brave. I'm surprised they were ok with him filming.
he films other people filming. this must be him in a MAGA hat

Sin Agog

This is the investigative reporter who filmed it, Luke Mogelson.

I can kinda imagine him not standing out too much amongst the Magalodons.

Urinal Cake

I really hope Trump pardons these patriotic folks.

Buelligan

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 19, 2021, 10:30:09 PM
Q Shaman is bald. incredible. everyone is bald and fat and white with a neckbeard. this is how the Trump presidency will be remembered

I really wish they'd stop using that image of him.  Not only is it disney in it's embarrassing levels of cultural appropriation, it's exactly what narcissists do all this ugly shit for.  If you must show him, show him hair free, cap in hand, praying to god for the camera and the mad old colonel.

Cuellar

QDRPHNC

Famous Mortimer

Chief Trump supporter Josh Hawley has this bizarre puff piece written about him, the day after his God-king finally leaves office.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/01/19/josh-hawley-senator-stanford-history-capitol-insurrection-ambition-460481?utm_source=pocket-newtab

For "subsersive", read "seditionist"' and for "affable" read "far right faux-religious lunatic". His local paper produced a far more reasonable piece on him:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/opinion-we-deserve-better-than-josh-hawley-and-the-show-me-seditionists/Content?oid=34811949

Mr Banlon

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 18, 2021, 06:08:26 PM
The Qanon Shaman's lawyer : https://twitter.com/mattshuham/status/1394666856171122692

Cool that because of tasteless dogshit like this we're going to see more whooping from American liberals that mental illness plays no part in the social medal radicalisation instead its all [flavour of the month sociology], a repeat of the same with gun violence and online misogynist groups.

Just designate them as domestic terrorists, blow them up or shove them in the pokey. They're the bad guys. What could go wrong.

chveik

Video Game Fan 2000

ACAB (except for when they're locking up criminals with low social status)

All the rich pigs who jetted in for the riot are going to get off aside from a few symbolic cases so AOC and Pelosi can look defiant and girlbossy, but a bunch of (paraphrasing) "fucking short bus people" and addicts are going to get locked up. And resistance twitter is loving it. Thank u Uncle Joe for restoring sanity and protecting Thee Temple Ov Democracie

Ferris

AOC[nb]objectively good[/nb] has very little in common with Pelosi[nb]detestable ghoul[/nb] in fairness.

I disagree with the point also - no one is forcing the lawyer to say this, and we have no idea if it's disingenuous or not. In fact if they're willing to testify that trump put them up to it, it's likely helpful at drawing a line under him (until the next one comes along).

Video Game Fan 2000

Whether this specific comment is disingenuous or not doesn't change the horrible cycle of american conservatives bringing up 'mental illness' only in response to far right or misogynist violence, and liberals taking the bait and insisting that mental illness has nothing to do with the problem at hand - its privilege or whatever. When it so clearly does. Everyone jokes about brainworms and brainrot online but there so clearly something neurological rather than social (not that they're mutually exclusive) about how social media isolates and radicalises some members of society but not others. This is not a purely social or a cultural problem, and that language is badly failing us when it comes to describing how the social media is wrecking our world. 

AOC is the American Keith but on their political spectrum that puts her on the left. If I was an American I'd be furious at her refusal to help the Sanders campaign towards the end and her "its more complicated than that" defense of Biden's immigration policy. Not to mention shenigans around M4A. Its all a branding exercise for a potential Obama 2.0. As a colonial I'd probably be very happy to vote for her but let's not have any illusions.

idunnosomename

That statement with "retard" and "short bus" took me back to like 2000s internet. Who the fuck speaks like that now?

Zetetic

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 18, 2021, 06:38:51 PM
there so clearly something neurological ... about how social media isolates and radicalises some members of society but not others
That doesn't really mean anything though.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Zetetic on May 18, 2021, 06:47:47 PM
That doesn't really mean anything though.

It means something to the people design platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc. to orientate themselves the people most likely to be totally sucked into them, and put in the maximum amount of attention. Much F2P videogames, gambling, etc everything is deliberately designed to sucker in "power users" and "whales" - and in the case of Facebook and Twitter, a power user isn't someone with a huge disposable income but someone who's a big spender in the attention economy.

I think its appropriate to talk about this in terms of vulnerability, in the same way we'd use vulnerability to describe someone likely to develop a chemical addiction or be sexually exploited. I mean, the reason that Facebook attracts over sixties, and they then become targets for right wing politics of cultural identity, should be clear?

Zetetic

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 18, 2021, 06:53:06 PM
It means something to the people design platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc. to orientate themselves the people most likely to be totally sucked into them
Sure, but that's not about trying to neatly apportion criminal responsibility between meat and stimulus.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 18, 2021, 06:53:06 PM
I think its appropriate to talk about this in terms of vulnerability, in the same way we'd use vulnerability to describe someone likely to develop a chemical addiction or be sexually exploited.
I'm not sure that this applies to Jacob Chansley.

Zetetic

I'm happy to recognise individual differences at play[nb]Edit:Although I don't think anyone is really arguing against this, only the framework we apply to those differences. And I don't think point to meat, when everything involves meat, gets us much further along.[/nb], happy to say that this is about differences in "vulnerability".

However, the starting point for this is people trying to deploying those things - in the garb of mental disorder and intellectual disabilities, which rightly or wrongly are tied up with attributes of diminished responsibility - to try to get others off the hook for doing something that took an awful lot of concerted effort and planning.

I'm still open to being convinced in individual cases, I suppose.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Zetetic on May 18, 2021, 06:58:41 PM
Sure, but that's not about trying to neatly apportion criminal responsibility between meat and stimulus.

Honestly, the shit about criminal responsiblity ultimately doesn't matter. The "lock 'em up" salivating and desire to get the baddies and liberal eagerness to call people terrorists on twitter is just nastiness to me. Whether it helps build a case against the Trump organisation itself, I don't know, its more about American legality than moral responsibility (as much as we're supposed to believe these are the same) 

I'm not sure that this applies to Jacob Chansley.

MAGA isn't the only fringe internet group the guy is a part of. He seems to have spent a chunk of his adult life bouncing from one set of terminally online, idiosyncratic crank beliefs to another. Obviously his defense are going to play up the weirdness of his beliefs, but its a good case in point that if someone has one strongly held terminally online belief that they're likely to have many others.

QAnon spread through bubbles of niche beliefs that already existed, and prayed upon a susceptibility to epistemic isolation that was already in evidence.  The American liberal idea that radicalisation merely shows us who people already were, exposes unconscious bigotries that were already there, may be true in specific cases about perpetrators of specific acts, but it is a terrible and potentially dangerous explanation of how we got where we are.