Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:26:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can anyone help me finding the term for this expression

Started by dead-ced-dead, January 07, 2021, 09:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

I'm writing a screenplay and I'm trying to describe the expression below. "Passive aggressive smirk" is kind of in the right ballpark, but I'm not sure it's 100% right.

pigamus

Cerys

Shit Good Nose

Surely the best thing is to not write a screenplay that's already been written and filmed?

(b'boom, etc)

Keebleman

The sort of patronising smile you wear when you are waiting for the person you're talking to to stop speaking before you come in with something which was fully formed before they even started, confident that nothing they would say could possibly require you to revise.  Though I suppose that isn't really a 'term'.

paruses

Condescending?

Fake Edit - it is quite patronising too. I hate her.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

jobotic

Priti Patelling?

Actually I think TrenterPercenter is right

BlodwynPig

JaDanketies

Johnny Yesno

Shoulders?-Stomach!

NoSleep

Jittlebags

That's a 'You thought you could get away with a silent but dealdy' type of look. As sported by Mrs J on a regular basis.

gib

Quote from: Keebleman on January 07, 2021, 09:59:53 PM
The sort of patronising smile you wear when you are waiting for the person you're talking to to stop speaking before you come in with something which was fully formed before they even started, confident that nothing they would say could possibly require you to revise.  Though I suppose that isn't really a 'term'.

this is a great answer, gg

can someone post another pic, no Hans etc until at least page 4

flotemysost

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 07, 2021, 11:20:00 PM
Tongueless belm

That's a beautiful combination of words, and is also spot on.

If I was qualifying the expression I'd say it was "tight" or "strained". I haven't seen the scene that still is from so I don't have that context, but rather than haughty or supercillious, I'm seeing it more as a sort of exasperated charade of being pleased/content, thinly veiling worry or unhappiness.

Not a million miles away from the taut purse-lipped smile Renee Zellweger pulls a lot in the Bridget Jones films (generally when dealing with humiliating situations or fending off invasive questions about her love life - again, can't remember exactly what's happening in the below scene, but you get the idea)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: flotemysost on January 07, 2021, 11:43:36 PM
That's a beautiful combination of words, and is also spot on.

If I was qualifying the expression I'd say it was "tight" or "strained". I haven't seen the scene that still is from so I don't have that context, but rather than haughty or supercillious, I'm seeing it more as a sort of exasperated charade of being pleased/content, thinly veiling worry or unhappiness.

Not a million miles away from the taut purse-lipped smile Renee Zellweger pulls a lot in the Bridget Jones films (generally when dealing with humiliating situations or fending off invasive questions about her love life - again, can't remember exactly what's happening in the below scene, but you get the idea)

Aye, she's the queen of this... whatever it is.

Although, Anna Maxwell Martin is quite good too (can't find a good photo to illustrate though)

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I believe it could also, at a push, be described as a Sling Blade.