Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 09:09:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Given that we now have a (shit) deal and have left the EU, I thought it would be better to start a new thread looking at the chickens coming home to roost for the UK.

QuoteNew border rules introduced last week are already creating problems for exporters and traders, say firms.

On Friday, Marks & Spencer became the latest company to warn of the administrative burden and increase in export costs to some countries.

Parcels firm DPD has already suspended some services and there have been warnings from seafood exporters.

One export trade body told the BBC there was a "growing problem and sense of unease" among its members.

Shane Brennan, chief executive of the Cold Chain Federation, which represents chilled transport and storage companies, said the emerging problems have come despite the amount of cross border traffic still being quite low.

"Trade flows are still only about 50% of what we would expect, but even at those levels we are seeing levels of confusion and delays," he told the BBC's Today programme. "The feeling is we are building to quite a significant potential disruption."

M&S said the new trade arrangements were creating "very complex administrative processes". The red tape burden, along with potential tariffs on some exports "will significantly impact our businesses" in Ireland, the Czech Republic, and France, the retailer said...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55583244

Of course, a lot of Tory Brexiteers will blame the firms for the problems they are experiencing, rather than Boris "Fuck Business" Johnson's crap deal.

JamesTC

I want ENGLISH eels, ENGLISH sex arses and ENGLISH vaccines. Finally we have gotten Brexit done.

Cuellar

Can't get any beer delivered from Belgium/Netherlands. Thanks Nigel.

frajer

DPD Europe, who my company use fairly regularly, have shit the bed and temporarily pulled their European freight service.

I'm not surprised as I tried to use them on Monday and their site is nowhere near good enough to do the job yet. It's needlessly restrictive and after speaking to 3 different people on the phone on they clearly don't know how to handle the new rules and regs yet.

Wouldn't mind too much, as it's a clusterfuck that DPD didn't ask for, but they've done the shitty thing of shifting blame back onto their customers and basically echoing the Tory scum who tut and roll their eyes that businesses "haven't got Brexit ready", which isn't fair or accurate.

Has made me immensely grateful we even got an incredibly shitty exit deal in place, as the logistics exporting to Europe on a no-deal Brexit would have been fucking deadly to so many businesses.

Paul Calf

Still waiting for three orders, from China, the US and Hong Kong. The order from China departed less than 12 hours after I placed the order. That was on 20th December and no-one knows where it is at the moment.

Anyone who claims to be a patriot and still supports these useless cunts needs a punch in the fucking tits.

dissolute ocelot

Just had to order a replacement battery from France (for personal use). I'm very curious as to when and how it will arrive and what sort of duty/VAT will be slapped on it when it does. (Insert rant about why nobody repairs anything and just throws everything out as soon as it stops working.)

jobotic

Quote from: Cuellar on January 08, 2021, 09:52:18 AM
Can't get any beer delivered from Belgium/Netherlands. Thanks Nigel.

So? Plenty of warm John Smiths Smoothflow to go round. Give us your tankard.

Or don't you love this country?

katzenjammer

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/03/britons-living-in-spain-barred-from-madrid-flight-in-post-brexit-travel-row

QuoteBritish residents flying home to Spain have been prevented from boarding a joint BA-Iberia flight to Madrid because the airline claimed their pre-Brexit residency papers were no longer valid

This is more a side effect of Brexit, but still.  There seems to be some confusion among a lot of people commenting on this on social media etc so I'll try to explain.  In order to fly between the UK and Spain brits need a passport like they always have.  All the passengers had passports I assume.  Due to Covid you also currently need to prove you are a Spanish resident.  Prior to Brexit the only way to do this was with a green piece of paper that has your NIE (Spanish ID number for foreigners), address, name and date of birth and states that you are a permanent resident.  It's what all EU residents need after spending more than six months in Spain.

A few months ago the Spanish government gave Brits the option of getting a plastic ID card that non EU citizens need when they are permanent residents of Spain called a TIE.  They clearly stated that after 1/1/2021 it is still not necessary to have this card to prove your residence, it's optional and the old green piece of paper is sufficient.

The airline decided that they wouldn't let passengers fly unless they had the new card.  All passengers denied had their passports and the green piece of paper, which UK and Spanish authorities said would be enough, and prior to Brexit there would have been no doubt that they could board the plane.

It's this kind of thing I've been worried about all along.  Now our rights to live in EU countries have been taken away from us there will always be doubts from individuals, e.g. the airline staff, police, boarder control etc about whether we're allowed to travel and reside in the EU and they'll always err on the side of caution.  It's always easier to say no if you're not sure, as soon as you say yes, you assume some kind of responsibility.

As a side note, getting a TIE card is not an easy process. I've lived in Spain for years and my Spanish is good enough to manage, but dealing with Spanish bureaucracy is always a pain.  I had to make two separate visits to get mine so had to take two days off work.  My kids also need them and each one has to personally attend both appointments.  It wasn't possible using the booking system to get a slot for more than one person at a time and I'll need to go with them both, so that's six days off work in total. 

monkfromhavana

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 08, 2021, 10:51:18 AM
Just had to order a replacement battery from France (for personal use). I'm very curious as to when and how it will arrive and what sort of duty/VAT will be slapped on it when it does. (Insert rant about why nobody repairs anything and just throws everything out as soon as it stops working.)

*This might all be bollocks, hearsay*
My partner (Polish) orders lots of stuff from sites like Etsy etc. Some of the traders on there have stopped shipping to the UK because apparently VAT is now not levied when imported, but when shipped. This means that traders from abroad have to get a UK tax number etc in order to pay the VAT.

Paul Calf

They have to register with HMRC, which costs £1000 a year and is a pain in the arse. A lot of small traders aren't bothering and aren't shipping to the UK. It's the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

JamesTC

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 08, 2021, 11:27:26 AM

*This might all be bollocks, hearsay*
My partner (Polish) orders lots of stuff from sites like Etsy etc. Some of the traders on there have stopped shipping to the UK because apparently VAT is now not levied when imported, but when shipped. This means that traders from abroad have to get a UK tax number etc in order to pay the VAT.

Loads and loads of stores have stopped shipping to the UK over it. William Shatner of all people criticised the move. Though I don't believe this change is specific to Brexit.

Paul Calf

Wonderful Butternut

It'll be fun to track this.

Although obviously Johnson, Farage and Rees-Mogg and their acolytes will never take ownership of any of it, and their supporters will blame all hardships on COVID until it goes on long enough to become the routine and they can pretend it was always like that.

JamesTC

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 08, 2021, 11:47:10 AM
It wouldn't have been legal as members of the EU.

I might be getting mixed up with changes to customers charges (removal of the £15 exemption) there which also has just come into action. Apologies.

Endicott

It's not just the eel man having problems. Seems that the UK can't produce the necessary paper work in a timely fashion. If only someone in the govt admin dept could have thought about this in the, oh, several years they've had to prepare for it.

QuoteBusiness owners said they had tried to send small deliveries to France and Spain to test the new systems this week but it was taking five hours to secure a health certificate in Scotland, a document which is required to apply for other customs paperwork.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/1/8/scottish-fishermen-halt-exports-due-to-brexit-red-tape

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: katzenjammer on January 08, 2021, 11:02:08 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/03/britons-living-in-spain-barred-from-madrid-flight-in-post-brexit-travel-row

This is more a side effect of Brexit, but still.  There seems to be some confusion among a lot of people commenting on this on social media etc so I'll try to explain.  In order to fly between the UK and Spain brits need a passport like they always have.  All the passengers had passports I assume.  Due to Covid you also currently need to prove you are a Spanish resident.  Prior to Brexit the only way to do this was with a green piece of paper that has your NIE (Spanish ID number for foreigners), address, name and date of birth and states that you are a permanent resident.  It's what all EU residents need after spending more than six months in Spain.

A few months ago the Spanish government gave Brits the option of getting a plastic ID card that non EU citizens need when they are permanent residents of Spain called a TIE.  They clearly stated that after 1/1/2021 it is still not necessary to have this card to prove your residence, it's optional and the old green piece of paper is sufficient.

The airline decided that they wouldn't let passengers fly unless they had the new card.  All passengers denied had their passports and the green piece of paper, which UK and Spanish authorities said would be enough, and prior to Brexit there would have been no doubt that they could board the plane.

"Where is your access permit?"

"I have entry permit."

"Entry permit is not enough. Access permit is required."

"Fuck you. I pay good money for entry permit."

"NEXT."

Fambo Number Mive

Gove warning that "significant additional disruption" is expected at the border in the coming weeks, particularly on the Dover-Calais route.

jobotic

Did he add "and I cuased it. What you gonna do about it? Get on with dying"

olliebean

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 08, 2021, 10:51:18 AM

I just ordered a new router and in the end opted to buy one from a UK company rather than one in Denmark, because I didn't know what the duty situation is now and whether/how it would affect the cost.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 08, 2021, 01:53:57 PM

"I have entry permit."

"NEXT."

The UK is going to wish it was Arstotzka.

Jittlebags

Hmm. I wonder how this is going to affect the Scan Mags import situation. Bound to be a Bongo Tax.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 08, 2021, 01:53:57 PM

"I have entry permit."

"NEXT."

DETAIN

Pranet

Moist toilet paper seems to have disappeared. I don't know if this is related to brexit, but it happened at the same time.

NoSleep

Made an order with Thomann on January 5 which went through as usual (i.e. prices including VAT were totalled up and were paid to Thomann in Germany). Then made another order to Thomann on January 8 in which I was informed that no prices included VAT and that this would have to be paid to the delivery company before they handed over the gear (I had wondered why everything seemed a little cheaper).

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on January 09, 2021, 06:49:50 PM
Made an order with Thomann on January 5 which went through as usual (i.e. prices including VAT were totalled up and were paid to Thomann in Germany). Then made another order to Thomann on January 8 in which I was informed that no prices included VAT and that this would have to be paid to the delivery company before they handed over the gear (I had wondered why everything seemed a little cheaper).

I hate that sort of nonsense. It's basically a license for the delivery company to hold your goods hostage against the payment of VAT/duty plus whatever arbitrary processing fee they think they can get away with.

NoSleep

I'm assuming it's because the 2nd order was after a cutoff date and this will be the rule for packages from Europe (or maybe just Germany) hereafter.

I can calculate the amount of VAT so if the couriers try to scam extra it's getting returned and I'll get my money back. I remember DHL used to try and add "handling" on top of any custom charges, so I used to make sure I paid US charges before it was shipped for stuff on ebay.

NoSleep

Actually:

QuotePlease note that your order does not include VAT. You will be required to pay the VAT (20%) and additional customs fees to the courier upon delivery.

Fuck it, I'm cancelling.

evilcommiedictator

Even better, you lot had a chance to allow artists in with easy visas and vice versa, BUT ARE BORIS stopped these thieving artists coming in and stealing audiences from cockney minstrels
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html

QuoteThe UK rejected an offer of visa-free tours by musicians to EU countries, despite blaming Brussels for what the industry is calling the devastating blow of them requiring permits.

A "standard" proposal to exempt performers from the huge cost and bureaucracy for 90 days was turned down, The Independent has been told – because the government is insisting on denying that to EU artists visiting this country.

"It is usually in our agreements with third countries, that [work] visas are not required for musicians. We tried to include it, but the UK said no," an EU source close to the negotiations said.