Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:07:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Quote from: Buelligan on January 18, 2021, 02:42:45 PM
I'm not especially sorry for them tbh.  They voted for what they believed would make them more money, they knew it would fuck other people but they wanted more for themselves.  Where was their solidarity with the fishing fleets of other countries?  Solidarity with other people outside their own little sphere?  Now they're getting fucked with the rest.

Yeah I do feel the same way, unfortunately. I do try to focus my blame on our monstrously selfish piece-of-shit government, but it's hard to deny that 10 mins online research could have shown Brexiteers the stuff they were being promised was a wee bit fishy dangerous pack of lies.

paruses

Quote from: frajer on January 18, 2021, 03:15:03 PM
Yeah I do feel the same way, unfortunately. I do try to focus my blame on our monstrously selfish piece-of-shit government, but it's hard to deny that 10 mins online research could have shown Brexiteers the stuff they were being promised was a wee bit fishy dangerous pack of lies.

Exactly - I have heard quite a few people say "see, we weren't told any of this at the time". I never know how to respond apart from "all the information was there".

bgmnts

Also, the government was voted in by these cretins, so yeah no sympathy at all for them. Only for the millions they've fucked over.

Fambo Number Mive

It should have been obvious even to those who believed in Brexit what the result of leaving the EU while a Tory government was in power would be.

Inspector Norse

katzenjammer

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 18, 2021, 06:23:26 PM
It should have been obvious even to those who believed in Brexit what the result of leaving the EU while a Tory government was in power would be.

Indeed. Was listening to this podcast from 2018 earlier

https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2018/nov/26/why-did-the-fishing-industry-vote-for-brexit

QuoteIn June 2016, a poll suggested that 92% of the fishing industry voted to leave the EU. Sam Wollaston spent four days onboard a trawler to find out why.

The fisherman being interviewed, Dave, comes across well and his arguments seem reasonable.  Access to British waters went down from 85% to 35% as a result of joining the EU, they have to throw fish away due to EU quotas and he went to Brussels to pitch some ideas for improving this, was turned down and he didn't like the amount of lobbying by big business.

However, by voting brexit he was throwing his lot in with a bunch of lying liars and he seems smart enough to easily work that out.  Now he says

Quote"We've been sold out," said David Stevens, 46-year-old skipper of the 24.5 metre Crystal Sea twin-rig demersal trawler. "The most galling kick in the teeth for us is the continued access for EU vessels inside the 12-mile limit."

"The industry was used as a pawn all the way through - held up as the reason to be leaving - yet they have thrown us under the bus," said Stevens.

Well tough shit mate

idunnosomename

The EU is a load of shit of course, but I tend not to bring that up often because it was hardly one of the reasons why we hopelessly tore ourselves out of it

Gurke and Hare

Shit's getting real now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55711531

QuoteProcessed goods like jelly or gravy could be unavailable in NI at the end of the protocol grace period, according to Stormont's agriculture minister.

jobotic

Could be bad news if you have a cat or dog to feed

Bernice

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 18, 2021, 10:23:27 PM
The EU is a load of shit of course, but I tend not to bring that up often because it was hardly one of the reasons why we hopelessly tore ourselves out of it

I wouldn't say that, it's at least some of the reasons. And, to be fair to the fisherman who are shocked, shocked, that Herr von Ribbentrop has failed to keep his word, this is all subject to renegotiation in five (?) years time, whereas little was ever going to change for them with Britain inside the EU.

Buelligan

Who is Herr von Ribbentrop in this scenario, Dominic Cummings, Steve Bannon, The Daily Cunt, who?

Bernice

The Tory Party I guess, or the mainstream leave movement more broadly.

Buelligan

I despair of them.  The fishing community of Le Havre has more in common with them than those cunts but does that enter their minds?  No, no it does not.  Those bitches deserve the cold haddock of reality, smartly slapped across their dumb visages.  And they're going to get it.  Plus the John Dory of being totally hung out to dry.

jobotic

Does this mean less dead fish? Less destruction of our marine life?

It doesn't, does it?

Quote from: jobotic on January 19, 2021, 02:47:44 PM
Does this mean less dead fish? Less destruction of our marine life?

It doesn't, does it?

God, no. Once the UK fishing industry has collapsed, we'll just sell access to our waters to the highest bidder.

Kankurette

Quote from: paruses on January 18, 2021, 05:52:03 PM
Exactly - I have heard quite a few people say "see, we weren't told any of this at the time". I never know how to respond apart from "all the information was there".
Except people did try to warn them. And just got laughed at or ignored.

Kankurette

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 18, 2021, 10:23:27 PM
The bad points of the EU are a feature for the Tories, not a bug.

paruses

Quote from: Kankurette on January 19, 2021, 06:17:36 PM
Except people did try to warn them. And just got laughed at or ignored.

Well quite. Maybe I should rephrase it to "it was all there in what you called Project Fear and chose to ignore".

The thing that really grates on me is that most of the people I personally know that voted leave and notionally complain won't really be affected as they have no ambition to do anything or leave the confines of this rural town.

Fambo Number Mive

A lot of those who voted Leave because they believed the Tories and the right-wing grifters won't learn from it next time, either. They'll swallow whatever Johnson and whoever replaces him tell them.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteTory MPs have voted down a legal bid which was aimed at protecting the NHS in post-Brexit trade deals.

The House of Lords passed an amendment last month which would have blocked any trade deal that "undermines or restricts" the ability to provide "a comprehensive publicly funded health service free at the point of delivery".

The amendment also would have blocked "the sale of patient data" in any trade deal unless the proceeds were ploughed back into UK health and care services, along with a string of other restrictions.

But the government defeated the proposed law tonight in the Commons - saying it wasn't necessary because there was no question of the NHS being on the table in a trade deal...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mps-vote-down-legal-23348917

Bizarre logic, if the NHS won't be on the table then why vote against the proposed law?

Paul Calf

Fambo Number Mive

It's not even on the front page of the BBC News website.

The Tories are literally saying "we should be allowed to do this because we won't do it" and the media largely seem to be ignoring it. If a child said "I should be allowed to have the key to the cigarette drawer because I won't use it", any parent would say no. Yet those in charge get away with it.

Fambo Number Mive

I know but it's how little of an outcry there is that annoys me. We know that the grifters, the rich and those working in private healthcare will support it, but surely most people would rather have a guarantee that they won't have to pay for medical insurance and risk going into debt if their insurance doesn't cover a procedure. It's astonishing how many people still trust this government.

Fambo Number Mive

March 2019: Leave.EU tweet "WATCH The Who legend Roger Daltrey on @SkyNews: "As if we didn't tour in Europe before the fucking EU. Give it up! If you want to sign up to be ruled by a fucking mafia you do it. It's like being governed by FIFA!"

January 2020: Roger Daltrey has signed a letter demanding action from UK govt to ensure visa-free touring in the EU

https://twitter.com/DrownedinSound/status/1351794639393742849

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The entire Brexit movement, on a geopolitical level, is like watching a clueless aristocrat trying to boss people about after he's already squandered his fortune, not aware of just how insignificant he has become. Britain is in terminal decline and yet in terminal denial... the only genuinely rich individuals left we have any relation to are vultures who would set up camp anywhere to make a fast buck, who have no allegiance to the UK or any interest in 'restoring' the nation's pride. Just conmen softening the dough faced patriots up before they fuck them. If we are fortunate they will employ us on much reduced pay and conditions in worse jobs.

sirhenry