Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

idunnosomename

WE SHOULD ONLY HAVE BIG BRITISH MARROWFATS THAT MAKE YOU DO PROUD BIG BRITISH GUFFS

Fambo Number Mive

Soon we'll see supermarkets divided into two sections: "Best of British" with the floor tiles in red, white and blue and "Foreign Muck" with angry Nigel Farage faces. People will return to the limitations of 1950s British cooking and Jacob-Rees Mogg will make unfunny jokes about it in the House of Commons.

imitationleather

Fambo Number Mive

Buelligan

I don't know if it's a coincidence but since the old national seppuku, I've noticed that the two big shops I'm able to visit occasionally have both removed their British food shelflets. 

All those tens of jars of Roses Lime Marmelade and traditional cellophane bags of stale oat biscuits, swept away into the plastic oubliette of time and stupidity.

idunnosomename

MUSHY PEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fambo Number Mive

Northern Ireland Agricultural Minister Gordon Lyons orders officials to stop work on new permanent border control posts, required as part of the Brexit Deal. Lyons is  a minister in the Brexit-backing DUP.

QuoteMr Lyons said he was responding to "practical difficulties" caused by the Northern Ireland Protocol.

He said there was too much uncertainty around the end of the protocol grace periods.

"It's a real nightmare for us and it's going to be causing us an awful lot of problems."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56217647

Fambo Number Mive

"Three firms are still doing ok after Brexit". More propaganda sponsored by the UK Government: https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1366328903401357321

How much public money are they spending on this kind of guff?

frajer

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 01, 2021, 04:27:10 PM
"Three firms are still doing ok after Brexit". More propaganda sponsored by the UK Government: https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1366328903401357321

Love the phrase "forging a new relationship with the EU" as if it's in any way positive, when it's more like how a divorced man has to "forge a new relationship" with his ex after she's changed the locks.

sirhenry

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 01, 2021, 04:27:10 PM

Hopefully not a lot as the story is only in the Mail[nb]according to Google[/nb].

jobotic

It's on the website of my local rag, although that it as bad, if not worse, than the Mail.

jobotic

So we're breaking the law again and Loyalist psychos have decided to reject the GFA

imagine if we had an opposition and a proper media.

Fambo Number Mive

Boris Johnson began his response to being asked about the announcement that loyalist paramilitaries are withdrawing support of the Good Friday agreement because of their opposition to the border arrangements by saying "I haven't seen which groups you're talking about."

Of course he hasn't.

bgmnts

Quote from: jobotic on March 04, 2021, 12:17:22 PM
So we're breaking the law again and Loyalist psychos have decided to reject the GFA

imagine if we had an opposition and a proper media.

Brexit wouldn't have happened.

katzenjammer

BlodwynPig

Quote from: katzenjammer on March 22, 2021, 08:26:44 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/mar/22/bike-poland-brexit-customs-duty-vat

Unimaginable suffering here

Quoteracing bicycle

fake letter. It's like Dear Deidre for the middle-classes.

QuoteIn hindsight, it was perhaps a little rash spending £5,000 on a bike three days before the Brexit deadline.

Foresight, you mean.

Leo2112

QuoteThe Spanish dream is over as Brits leave Spain to avoid being deported as illegal immigrants

Tears flow for Brits as they head home to avoid being deported as illegals in Spain: Brits this weekend across Spain, leave the country for at least 180 days as they don't wish to be Spanish residents or have been declined for residency.

What started out to be a dream life in the sun, has turned into a nightmare for thousands of Brits who didn't wish to be legally registered as a resident in Spain.

By not being legally registered, Brits until now, have gone under the radar when it came to paying Spanish taxes and other contributions, but Brexit has changed that, now they have to be out of Spain by March 31 when they will be deemed as illegal immigrants and deported anyway as their 90-day legal stay ends.

Spain's police force and authorities are expecting to deport 500 UK citizens within the first week, with targets already earmarked to be picked up and deported home, knowingly to the authorities not having the correct paperwork to remain.

Although a small exodus of Brits has started this week as they head back to Britain to beat the deadline.

One of those, Anthony Cook, tells of a great 7 years in Spain, but now he's on his way home, he told Global247news: "The Spanish dream is over for me, it's time to go back to Cardiff, it's been a blast but the new regulations have made it impossible to stay, I don't have enough credentials to become a resident, it was so easy before, get your funds in from the UK, do a bit of cash in hand around the likes of Benidorm and bob was your uncle, but that's all changed now – hey, don't be fooled thousands of Brits in some guise or other have been doing the same thing, especially in the entertainment industry!

" Anyway, it's time to head home, the freedom of movement has gone, and I don't want to end up getting deported and fined," he said.

Cook though says he knows of any who are going to try and 'wing it' and stay, he said " I know of loads who are going to stay thinking they won't get caught, I think they will but they have said to me how are they going to check everybody but quite truthfully I don't want to be looking over my shoulder, if they get away with I will look at it again and come back in 6 months

"I'm not taking the risk – I will study and watch, see if they get deported" Cook finished.

Another returning at Malaga airport today was Shaun Cromber who despite voting for Britain to leave the EU, didn't believe it would end his Spanish lifestyle, he said: " Yes I voted out, but I didn't realise it would come to this, my application has been rejected and we are on our way home – the wife is in tears, she's distraught if I'm honest and I'm not too happy at the prospect of returning back to the UK.

"I've loved living on the Costa del Sol and after 5 years can't believe it has come to this, we applied but got rejected and so have no choice, although long term I think the Spanish will regret chucking us out of Spain"

The deadline now is only 4 days away and it's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens when the British become illegal immigrants in Spain.

lol

bgmnts

Hope those cunts get depressed as fuck living in the shit country they helped make extra shit.

PlanktonSideburns

what are we going to do with these leathery dossers? some sort of encampment on deal beach perhaps

katzenjammer

Quote from: Leo2112 on March 27, 2021, 10:42:01 PM
lol

Seen this around a bit now, it's appeared on Reddit and Whatsapp and this seems to be the original source.  The whole article looks like it's made up. That's not to say that this Brexit isn't going to badly affect a lot of Costa Brits but does anyone speak the way they do in those quotes and is Cromber even a real surname?

Buelligan

Shaun Cromber is an anagram of a burro (donkey in Spanish) mensch, so I'm guessing the whole thing's real.

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 27, 2021, 10:45:38 PM
what are we going to do with these leathery dossers? some sort of encampment on deal beach perhaps

House them in some decrepit army barracks. Anything more would be deeply offensive to the taxpayers of this country.

Kankurette

They voted for Brexit, they can fucking well suck it up.

Fambo Number Mive

Brexit has fucked business:

QuoteAccording to the UK's Office for National Statistics, trade between the EU and the UK was hit hard in January, with exports down by 40.7% compared with December and imports from the EU down by 28% in the same period...

This is the biggest overall fall in exports since records began, yet the decline for some sectors has been even worse.

Analysis by the Food & Drink Federation published last week showed that exports in January dropped to £7 million — or about $9.6 million — from £45 million year-on-year, while whisky exports dropped to £40 million from £105 million.

This is a colossal decline. For some sectors, including parts of the UK's world-renowned shellfish fishing industry, the decline could be permanent because of the EU's effectively locking Britain out of its market altogether...

Sales of many lower-value items have, in many cases, simply become unviable. Simon Spurrell, a cofounder of the Cheshire Cheese Company, stopped exporting his packs of cheeses, which were priced at about £30 each, to the EU because each parcel needed to be accompanied by a £180 health certificate, he told The Guardian...

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-is-a-disaster-britain-trade-european-union-boris-johnson-2021-3?r=US&IR=T

katzenjammer

I'm not going to link to it but the spin that Express is putting on the stories of Brits leaving Spain because of brexit is gobsmacking

QuoteDespite the invaluable contribution the UK's estimated 360,000 expats make to the country's economy, Spain has been accused of exploiting Brexit red tape and sending people packing.

There is no 'Brexit red tape', what would that even be? We're just treated as any other non EU citizens now. It's what they wanted

QuoteInstead of waiving the rules and making life easier for the country's UK expat community - which is said to contribute more than £15bn to its economy - Spain has stuck steadfastly to Brussels' bureaucracy.

By 'waive the rules' they must mean that Spanish laws just shouldn't apply to British people for some reason.  And this has nothing to do with Brussels and bureaucracy of course, it's just Spanish law.

QuoteThis number could fall significantly as Spain wields the extra powers that Brexit has handed it to make the lives of Brit expats more difficult.

This is the best one, somehow Brexit has given Spain extra powers.  Insane.

I should add that all these people that are apparently having difficulties have been breaking the law all along, anyone staying in Spain for more than three months should register for residency, but it's kind of unenforceable for EU citizens so they could get away with it before I think.  Now you get a stamp in your passport when you enter so it's very easy to see how long you've been in the country.

BlodwynPig

Just go to your newsagents, take the rags off the shelves and burn them in the street. You wouldn't put up with some twerp hassling you in a pub with the same arguments, why should you put up with it in your newsagents?