Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 07, 2021, 11:02:32 PM
Northern Ireland setting itself on fire is great isn't it lads
It's almost like loads of people tried to warn Brexiters that Brexit could potentially be very dangerous for NI.

Norton Canes

From the BBC: James Dyson says Brexit has given him 'freedom' Specious cunt comes up with a string of things he could have done perfectly well without Brexit, like employing people from around the world and making our own vaccine. Hardly worth the effort linking to this shit. Disgusted at myself, actually.

paruses

Just read the same and agonised over whether or not to post it. Really is a mind bending article in how he is spinning it as a positive for Britain especially as he explicitly says he has left his British suppliers behind (their choice). I also can't work out if the article is calling him a prick or not.

Buelligan

For the avoidance of doubt - he's a fucking prick.

BlodwynPig

Not kept up. Has Brexit been a roaring success and I have to eat my deerstalker?

olliebean

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 14, 2021, 11:39:36 AM
Not kept up. Has Brexit been a roaring success and I have to eat my deerstalker?

Let me just check that for you....

olliebean

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 14, 2021, 11:39:36 AM

No.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 14, 2021, 10:16:24 AM
From the BBC: James Dyson says Brexit has given him 'freedom' Specious cunt comes up with a string of things he could have done perfectly well without Brexit, like employing people from around the world and making our own vaccine. Hardly worth the effort linking to this shit. Disgusted at myself, actually.

Dyson (the company not the disingenuous twat that started it) is a massive business that can weather all sorts of storms and absorb the costs of changes without too much trouble, small businesses on the other hand will struggle a great deal more.  It is all their own fault though, if they can't handle it it's down to their own "poor management" for not reaping the rewards that brexit has given them.

https://twitter.com/MarieAnnUK/status/1382260254927417345?s=20

paruses

Yes - those losers who don't have sums like 2bn to invest in parts of their business only have themselves to blame for choosing not to follow him to Singapore. They too could have reaped the benefit of Brexit by not staying in Britain.

I wonder what % of the 60 nationalities is made up of the 27 EU nations who could have been employed with zero cost prior to Brexit.

Fambo Number Mive

BBC Ireland is showing a documentary tonight to mark the 100th anniversary of Northern Ireland following the 1920 Government of Ireland Act.

According to the Guardian:

QuoteTonight BBC Northern Ireland is showing a Spotlight documentary to mark the centenary and it features an interview with Boris Johnson. In it, he made two contentious claims.

Johnson described some of the aspects of the Northern Ireland protocol, which governs post-Brexit trading arrangements between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as "absurd". And he restated his threat to invoke article 16 - which would allow parts of the protocol to be suspended - if the EU did not agree to make changes. He said:
If we can't make enough progress and if it looks as though the EU is going to be very, very dogmatic about it and we continue to have absurd situations so you can't bring in rose bushes with British soil into Northern Ireland, you can't bring British sausages into Northern Ireland, then frankly I'm going to, we'll have to take further steps.

What we're doing is removing what I think of as the unnecessary protuberances and barriers that have grown up and we're getting the barnacles off the thing and sandpapering it into shape.

This is the same Northern Ireland protocol which Johnson negotiated and ratified. Once again trying to have his cake and eat it.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 20, 2021, 12:51:52 PM
This is the same Northern Ireland protocol which Johnson negotiated and ratified. Once again trying to have his cake and eat it.

If our so-called Parliament couldn't identify these problems when they were scrutinising the Brexit deal, they should all just fucking resign.  They had FIVE HOURS to figure this stuff out.  What were they doing, wasting their entire time talking about fish?

frajer

Quote from:  Boris JohnsonWhat we're doing is removing what I think of as the unnecessary protuberances and barriers that have grown up and we're getting the barnacles off the thing and sandpapering it into shape.

The albino plum doesn't even hear himself talk anymore, does he. Suppose he doesn't have to.

NoSleep

And there was all of us believing it was a simple as bulldozing through a wall of polystyrene blocks.

evilcommiedictator

Treating our valued trade partners with respect (also: the dude is a certified loon, he deserves it)

Pink Gregory

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Via r/BrexitAteMyFace:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56932551

QuoteThe UK and Norway have failed to reach a fishing deal for this year, with the industry warning that hundreds of crew members will be left out of work.

It means UK fleets will have no access to Norway's sub-Arctic waters, known for their cod catches.

[...]With the UK no longer part of the European Common Fisheries Policy, it now deals directly with Norway - which is not an EU member state - on fishing matters.

The two countries agreed last year to a post-Brexit system of co-operation, including annual negotiations on quotas and access to each other's waters.

But a deal for 2021 proved impossible, despite weeks of talks.

UK Fisheries chief executive Jane Sandell complained that the UK government had failed "even to maintain the rights we have had to fish in Norwegian waters for decades".

She added: "In consequence, there will be no British-caught Arctic cod sold through chippies for our national dish.

"It will all be imported from the Norwegians, who will continue to sell their fish products to the UK tariff-free, while we are excluded from these waters. Quite simply, this is a disgrace and a national embarrassment."

I'm laughing my fucking hole off

paruses

Fishing and the like will have to be propped up with big subsidies as this goes on I would imagine (unless the pretence is dropped completely and we just go complete Singapore almost overnight). Does anyone know where to start looking for datasets around that sort of thing - be interesting to start pulling some visualisations together. Can also stick them on my cv for looking for jobs (outside the UK).

Quote from: paruses on May 05, 2021, 07:20:26 AM
Fishing and the like will have to be propped up with big subsidies as this goes on I would imagine (unless the pretence is dropped completely and we just go complete Singapore almost overnight). Does anyone know where to start looking for datasets around that sort of thing - be interesting to start pulling some visualisations together. Can also stick them on my cv for looking for jobs (outside the UK).

If there were going to be subsidies, we'd have them by now.

Much easier and cheaper to let the domestic industry go to the wall and blame the EU. We don't eat our own fish so Joe Public won't give a shit as long as there's still haddock and cod on the menu.

dissolute ocelot

The Guardian is reporting that the French are planning to blockade the Channel Islands and cut off all their electricity. Except this is actually just what some French fisherman said they should do at a protest about fish. It would serve the Channel Islands right for capitulating to Hitler and cancelling Bergerac, though.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 05, 2021, 05:44:54 PM
The Guardian is reporting that the French are planning to blockade the Channel Islands and cut off all their electricity. Except this is actually just what some French fisherman said they should do at a protest about fish. It would serve the Channel Islands right for capitulating to Hitler and cancelling Bergerac, though.

Luckily for the islanders, they'll be able to get by just fine thanks to the tremendous protein value of the local produce.

https://youtu.be/rS7H_DBbXfg

Norton Canes

And off go Are Brave Bhouys. Fucks sake. War with the French. Johnson's wet dream come true.

jobotic

Your move Starmer.

Or should I say L'Etoile-mer?

Fambo Number Mive

Next episode in "Brexit not working out as well as the Leavers promised"

QuoteUK farmers have sounded the alarm over reports the government plans a trade deal with Australia that would make its food and farming imports cheaper.

The move is being considered as part of a free trade pact with Australia the UK government hopes will be a springboard for similar pacts with other countries.

But UK farming unions have warned of "irreversible damage" from a bad deal.

There is speculation the Cabinet is split over the move, and Labour has accused the government of a "sell-out"...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57157094

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 18, 2021, 01:59:04 PM
Next episode in "Brexit not working out as well as the Leavers promised"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57157094
Nobody in Britain makes any money from sheep farming. It would make more sense to buy our sheep from Australia and fill our own hills with wolves and funiculars.

robhug

judging by a strong majority all the farms near me putting up ukip banners and other paraphernalia during 2016 its marvellous that it looks like they'll be amongst the first to get fucked over.

gut wrenching for the others tho

frajer

Went to school with someone who I recently found out inherited his dad's farm and has turned out to be a colossally right-wing and vocal Brexiteer.

Going by his Facebook, this is all the EU's fault. They really are rotters for letting us do that Brexit they told us not to do, aren't they.

Quote from: frajer on May 20, 2021, 12:52:39 PM
Went to school with someone who I recently found out inherited his dad's farm and has turned out to be a colossally right-wing and vocal Brexiteer.

Do vocal right-wing cunts ever actually learn from the consequences of their actions I wonder?  Is it possible that, when these people's livelihoods, opportunities and dreams come tumbling down as a direct result of their support for the likes of Brexit and the Tories, they'll change their worldview and vote differently next time?  Or will they just blame someone else and carry on voting for Boris Johnson?

In other Brexit news:

UK travellers to France and Spain may need proof of accommodation
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/20/uk-travellers-to-france-may-be-asked-proof-of-accommodation-as-part-of-post-brexit-changes

In Spain, residents hosting non-EU friends or family are expected to apply to the national police, with similar supporting documentation, for a carta de invitación (letter of invitation) costing €74.

So I have to pay 74€ so that somebody can come and visit me?  Yeah, good one.

Kankurette

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 20, 2021, 01:00:35 PM
Do vocal right-wing cunts ever actually learn from the consequences of their actions I wonder?
No.

I take no pleasure in farmers getting screwed over by Brexit tbh. Nor do I understand the logic of us being involved in this trans-Pacific deal thingy when we're in Europe.

bakabaka

Quote from: Kankurette on May 20, 2021, 02:06:48 PM
No.

I take no pleasure in farmers getting screwed over by Brexit tbh. Nor do I understand the logic of us being involved in this trans-Pacific deal thingy when we're in Europe.
If Israel can be in the Eurovision Song Contest we can be in the Pacific. Though we'll leave the trans bit off for the next 40 years so as not to upset The Mail.