Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Even if the government did start to try to encourage people from the rest of Europe with experience working in restaurants and bars, would many want to come back to this cold grey xenophobic little island  after the last few years?

I think we will see more investment in training for the hospitality sector with more unemployed people being pushed into hospitality jobs that they are not suited for.

steveh

The Australia trade deal includes making it easier for young people to work in either country so it seems they're hoping for a return to pubs and restaurants staffed by young Aussies rather than Europeans.

katzenjammer

QuoteA shortfall of up to 70,000 HGV drivers in the UK is likely to soon have even greater consequences than those already seen, according to ParcelHero. It warns customers to expect empty shelves and delays to home deliveries.

ParcelHero says that around a quarter of a million EU workers fled the UK in response to the new Brexit employment rules, with a shortfall of up to 70,000 HGV drivers in the UK as a result.

"Home deliveries of food and goods are already being impacted by the driver shortage, with some stores also running low on stock," said David Jinks, head of consumer research at ParcelHero.
Food wholesalers, and even Tesco, have already warned of the impact of the shortfall and the Federation of Wholesale Distributors (FWD) is calling for army drivers to be put on standby to protect vulnerable communities where food deliveries are at risk.

https://edelivery.net/2021/06/hgv-driver-shortages-soon-dire-consequences-delivery/

I'm sure it will all be fine

Quote from: steveh on June 22, 2021, 11:50:39 AM
The Australia trade deal includes making it easier for young people to work in either country so it seems they're hoping for a return to pubs and restaurants staffed by young Aussies rather than Europeans.

Why would young Aussies want to come to the UK?

They won't want to come for the weather.  They don't need to come for the racism!!!

Maybe as a gateway to Europe for backpacking?  Ah, crap.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteHe believes the situation could get even worse. "We could soon be facing shortages as bad as those at the start of the first lockdown, which could mean a return to the rationing of staple foods.

Brexiteers would love it if rationing came back, as long as there was a way those with the most money could buy good illegally from modern-day Private Walkers.

Can't see many Australians wanting to travel all the way to Britain.

paruses

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 22, 2021, 12:16:26 PM
Brexiteers would love it if rationing came back, as long as there was a way those with the most money could buy good illegally from modern-day Private Walkers.

Can't see many Australians wanting to travel all the way to Britain.

Yes to first sentence.

No to second - don't see why not. They always have done and things aren't quite like The Road yet. Their visa requirements for going on to Europe won't be any different I don't think. Always got the impression it was their version of a Grand Tour.

katzenjammer

Was there something stopping young Aussies coming to the UK to work prior to Brexit? I suspect they'll want to work in London and maybe some of the 'cooler' cities but anywhere else isn't going to be much of a draw to them.

Quote from: paruses on June 22, 2021, 12:23:47 PM
No to second - don't see why not. They always have done and things aren't quite like The Road yet. Their visa requirements for going on to Europe won't be any different I don't think. Always got the impression it was their version of a Grand Tour.

Yeah, exactly.  Nearly all the Aussies I ever met in the UK were using it as a base for work to fund further travels to places like Barcelona, Rome, Paris, Prague etc.  The thing is, a good number of them had British passports through ancestry, so that's going to be more difficult (and, regardless of nationality, time limited to three months' stay on a Schengen Visa).

katzenjammer

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 22, 2021, 12:16:26 PM
Brexiteers would love it if rationing came back

They'd love it in theory, in practice they'd be crying and eating their own feces by tea time.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: katzenjammer on June 22, 2021, 12:44:01 PM
They'd love it in theory, in practice they'd be crying and eating their own feces by tea time.

Johnson would still try to spin that into a success. "British poos for British tummies". Or blame the EU somehow.

Came across this fascinating bit of archive telly the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70X2UNSkUI

A 1985 Thames TV debate show called "Daytime", hosted by Sarah Kennedy, discussing Britain's place in Europe.

A few things stood out:

1) Reversal of Left/Right stances. Just shows how much the parties have changed in 30 years.
2) Weird to see a program of this sort on ITV.  These days it would've been presented by Ant and Dec.  Would probably involve gunging.
3) The audience members were articulate, had a good vocabulary, debated respectfully and showed a basic level of intelligence which seems absent these days.  Being 1985, they all looked about 20 years older than they really were though.
4) I never remembered Sarah Kennedy being so hot.
5) KENNETH WILLIAMS.  I actually found it looking for clips of the great man.

Bazooka

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 22, 2021, 10:14:49 AM
Even if the government did start to try to encourage people from the rest of Europe with experience working in restaurants and bars, would many want to come back to this cold grey xenophobic little island  after the last few years?

I think we will see more investment in training for the hospitality sector with more unemployed people being pushed into hospitality jobs that they are not suited for.

Most people who travel don't have a narrow world view like yourself, you should try it.

Fambo Number Mive

Why do you think I have a narrow world view? Thanks for your patronising assumption that I don't travel though, maybe explain why you disagree with a post rather than just making snide comments next time.

robhug

Quote from: Darles Chickens on June 23, 2021, 10:16:04 AM
Came across this fascinating bit of archive telly the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70X2UNSkUI

A 1985 Thames TV debate show called "Daytime", hosted by Sarah Kennedy, discussing Britain's place in Europe.

A few things stood out:

1) Reversal of Left/Right stances. Just shows how much the parties have changed in 30 years.
2) Weird to see a program of this sort on ITV.  These days it would've been presented by Ant and Dec.  Would probably involve gunging.
3) The audience members were articulate, had a good vocabulary, debated respectfully and showed a basic level of intelligence which seems absent these days.  Being 1985, they all looked about 20 years older than they really were though.
4) I never remembered Sarah Kennedy being so hot.
5) KENNETH WILLIAMS.  I actually found it looking for clips of the great man.

debates were mainly like this until about 2005 and the advent of twitter.

twitter made imbeciles think their thoughts were valid as it matched another imbeciles opinion and it slowly snowballed from there.

I disagree about Sarah Kennedy's hotness.

Bazooka

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2021, 10:27:24 AM
Why do you think I have a narrow world view?

All Brexit voters are racist/xenophobic, Europe is some diverse utopia, Britain is becoming a dictatorship, patriotism in other nations is fine but an ounce of it is inherently evil in Brotain, everyone is oppressed and miserable. These are things you believe that are incompatible with a broad world view.

bgmnts

Well Britain is in Europe and it's full of racist and xenophobic cunts, so it's likely Europe isn't a diverse utopia.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Bazooka on June 23, 2021, 10:32:03 AM
All Brexit voters are racist/xenophobic, Europe is some diverse utopia, Britain is becoming a dictatorship, patriotism in other nations is fine but an ounce of it is inherently evil in Brotain, everyone is oppressed and miserable. These are things you believe that are incompatible with a broad world view.

I don't believe everyone who voted for Brexit is racist or xenophobic (aside from anything else, I have friends who voted for Brexit), and I don't think Europe is a utopia. I've also never praised patriotism in other nations on here.

It sounds like you think a broad world view basically involves agreeing with what you think.

Bazooka

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2021, 10:37:49 AM
I don't believe everyone who voted for Brexit is racist or xenophobic (aside from anything else, I have friends who voted for Brexit), and I don't think Europe is a utopia. I've also never praised patriotism in other nations on here.

It sounds like you think a broad world view basically involves agreeing with what you think.

No it involves having scope.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Bazooka on June 23, 2021, 10:23:27 AM
Most people who travel don't have a narrow world view like yourself, you should try it.

Do you think the UK is a more, or less appealing destination for foreign workers and travellers post Brexit?

Fambo Number Mive

Patriotism to me means wanting to make your country better for everyone that lives there and everyone that visits. I support efforts to do so, and I also think calling out the continued venal actions of the UK government and their divisive culture war is patriotic. Being nice to people and not dropping litter is patriotic. Opening windows on the bus and wearing a mask unless medically exempt is patriotic, as I care about the health of others and don't want to fill up hospitals again. So I don't think patriotism is evil, it's important to care about where you live and wanting to make it better rather than have a group of venal chortling third-rate divisive overpaid hypocritical bigots make it worse so that they and their elite friends can make more money.

tourism

patriotism to bazooka is presumably going aghast when someone says british food all tastes boiled. or maybe it's sucking off bulldogs. I've barely travelled so I don't have their scope/perspective

bgmnts

I've done some fairly limited travelling and it just confirmed to me everyone is the same really. But then, true knowledge comes from experience so ah well.

Bazooka

Quote from: tourism on June 23, 2021, 12:20:31 PM
patriotism to bazooka is presumably going aghast when someone says british food all tastes boiled. or maybe it's sucking off bulldogs. I've barely travelled so I don't have their scope/perspective

Holy fragility levels Batman!

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Bazooka on June 23, 2021, 12:34:46 PM
Holy fragility levels Batman!

I get the feeling you're just trolling. Another one for the block list. Either that or you'll be the only one taking part in the CAB One Britain One Nation singalong.

Kankurette

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2021, 11:31:13 AM
Patriotism to me means wanting to make your country better for everyone that lives there and everyone that visits. I support efforts to do so, and I also think calling out the continued venal actions of the UK government and their divisive culture war is patriotic. Being nice to people and not dropping litter is patriotic. Opening windows on the bus and wearing a mask unless medically exempt is patriotic, as I care about the health of others and don't want to fill up hospitals again. So I don't think patriotism is evil, it's important to care about where you live and wanting to make it better rather than have a group of venal chortling third-rate divisive overpaid hypocritical bigots make it worse so that they and their elite friends can make more money.
This. I love England. England is my home. I want it to be better than it is. For me and for everyone else living here.

jobotic

Quote from: Bazooka on June 23, 2021, 10:23:27 AM

Can't afford to. I thought Remainers were all about patronising those less wealthy than themselves?

Buelligan

Bravo! 

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kankurette on June 23, 2021, 07:38:25 PM
This. I love England. England is my home. I want it to be better than it is. For me and for everyone else living here.

And when's that going to happen? What mechanism is there to make that the case? Tory majorities for ever more, peddling more and more hateful bullshit that's lapped up by enough to keep them in power. At what point do you say, "you know, maybe this country won't ever be what I want it to be, perhaps I don't belong here"?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 22, 2021, 10:14:49 AM
Your problem is that there's another cold grey xenophobic little island where everyone speaks English and is part of the EU and part of the Eurozone.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 23, 2021, 11:08:52 PM
And when's that going to happen? What mechanism is there to make that the case? Tory majorities for ever more, peddling more and more hateful bullshit that's lapped up by enough to keep them in power. At what point do you say, "you know, maybe this country won't ever be what I want it to be, perhaps I don't belong here"?
well pack your bags and fuck off then

chveik

get rid of the patriotism element altogether. you don't need to be devoted to your homeland to do the things you've listed