Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katzenjammer

QuoteNice little story, possibly made up

Possibly?

Bernice

Gurke and Hare

It's the same guy who previously made up some other FBPE wank-fodder about Brexit. I can't remember the details, but it had the same "and the gammons were furious!" thing going on.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 25, 2021, 05:12:11 PM
Some good news for Britain which I'm sure the government will be all over, a resident of the Isle of Wight has become the youngest ever winner of Best in Show at the Homemade Marmalade Awards, which attracts entries from around the world

Everyone was surprised, because they expected that some marmalade would win!!eleven

Ferris

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 27, 2021, 08:45:12 PM
It's the same guy who previously made up some other FBPE wank-fodder about Brexit. I can't remember the details, but it had the same "and the gammons were furious!" thing going on.

This is it. It's just that time of year, obviously.

bomb_dog

More cow bell-end.

I know it's a different Bruce Dickinson, just fuck off and let me have it, eh?

Paul Calf

Well, the transition period ends on Wednesday. That's when the import/export friction is really going to bite.

The rest of Europe is just emerging form CoViD deep freeze. Here, it's only going to get worse.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 28, 2021, 02:42:01 AM
If this happened, my arse is a Frenchman (it isn't).

No, it's Quebecois, quite different.

Ferris

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 29, 2021, 12:53:18 AM
No, it's Quebecois, quite different.

I have francophone relatives but they are staidly Acadian and in NS and NB, and not Québécois because they don't get along. No idea why, haven't asked - I'm an Englishman (and a Leafs fan ffs), I'm doing well to have them allow me into their various homes.

If anyone cares, I can type a quick summary of French-speaking people in eastern Canada but I doubt anyone does. My son has 2 francophone friends in his nursery and can say "bonjour!!" which is quite nice.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 29, 2021, 01:37:37 AM
I have francophone relatives but they are staidly Acadian and in NS and NB, and not Québécois because they don't get along. No idea why, haven't asked - I'm an Englishman (and a Leafs fan ffs), I'm doing well to have them allow me into their various homes.

If anyone cares, I can type a quick summary of French-speaking people in eastern Canada but I doubt anyone does. My son has 2 francophone friends in his nursery and can say "bonjour!!" which is quite nice.

Is it not something to do with the war of 1812?

Ferris

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 29, 2021, 01:51:37 AM
Is it not something to do with the war of 1812?

Well, you're really touching on three different historically dominant (and exogenic) francophone movements in North America: you see [3 paragraphs no one will read]

BlodwynPig

Do go on... maybe in a separate thread or the Hystorical (Hysterical) Sub-forum

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteLONDON, July 2 (Reuters) - Premier Foods (PFD.L), one of Britain's biggest food companies, has called on the government to consider using the army to distribute goods to help relieve a severe shortage of truck drivers.

Last week industry leaders warned Britain could face gaps on supermarket shelves this summer and an "unimaginable" collapse of supply chains after the pandemic and Brexit led to a shortage of more than 100,000 heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers...

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/bring-army-food-groups-call-relieve-uk-lorry-driver-crisis-2021-07-02/

I'm not sure how the pandemic has helped lead to a shortage of lorry drivers, but clearly Brexit has contributed.

steveh

My local council currently has vacancies for rubbish lorry drivers it can't fill and there have been stories of other councils that have had to reduce collections because of the shortage. Seems to be impacts from both Brexit and the pandemic, with people from the EU not wanting to work in the UK and new drivers unable to get HGV licenses last year.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: steveh on July 05, 2021, 03:56:17 PM
My local council currently has vacancies for rubbish lorry drivers it can't fill

Maybe they should try to recruit good ones then?

dissolute ocelot

Don't worry! Boris will solve our transport needs! Boris has decided the GB sticker on the back of cars and trucks going abroad will be replaced by a UK sticker from September. Which is in no way pointless or designed to appease the DUP (who aren't that stupid, or maybe they are?) but will indicate a new thrusting UK identity going abroad to crash into oncoming vehicles and have the wrong headlights. And fuck you if you need new numberplates because the old ones say GB.

DrGreggles

It's so the drivers can pretend to be Ukrainian to avoid abuse.

Fambo Number Mive

I'm sure people will be delighted to have to buy a new sticker just to keep the DUP happy. I note how the AA now has 50,000 useless stickers which will probably end up being binned.

QuoteUnlike the soon-to-be-invalid GB plates, which were heralded by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps in January, the switch to UK signifiers was not formally announced by the Government. Instead it was spotted as a footnote in UN regulations by the AA, which says it has 50,000 items of stock it will now need to change.

Buelligan

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 06, 2021, 10:37:45 AM
Don't worry! Boris will solve our transport needs! Boris has decided the GB sticker on the back of cars and trucks going abroad will be replaced by a UK sticker from September. Which is in no way pointless or designed to appease the DUP (who aren't that stupid, or maybe they are?) but will indicate a new thrusting UK identity going abroad to crash into oncoming vehicles and have the wrong headlights. And fuck you if you need new numberplates because the old ones say GB.

And then a whole new lot of number plates when Scotland goes and again, of course, 2024 when Ireland is reunified.  Does Hancock or Zahawi have a friend who runs a crayon factory? 

olliebean

Quote from: Buelligan on July 06, 2021, 10:45:47 AM
And then a whole new lot of number plates when Scotland goes and again, of course, 2024 when Ireland is reunified.  Does Hancock or Zahawi have a friend who runs a crayon factory?

I'd have thought the UK will remain the UK when Scotland goes, and probably when NI goes as well. After Wales finally gets fed up and leaves, it may be time for a rethink.

Key

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 05, 2021, 03:16:55 PM
https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/bring-army-food-groups-call-relieve-uk-lorry-driver-crisis-2021-07-02/

I'm not sure how the pandemic has helped lead to a shortage of lorry drivers, but clearly Brexit has contributed.

I think the lockdowns and restrictions meant last year far fewer people managed to train for and pass their HGV licence.

Of course if we hadnt left the EU we could have plugged that massive gap with forins. So now the first look at Global Britain may be helicopters dropping food parcels for it's people.

Buelligan

Quote from: olliebean on July 06, 2021, 01:04:19 PM
I'd have thought the UK will remain the UK when Scotland goes, and probably when NI goes as well. After Wales finally gets fed up and leaves, it may be time for a rethink.

I think you should all apply to join France.  It's a lot better, weather and everything.

paruses

Bit of feel-good news in this article. At least she acknowledges it's what she asked for:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/hotel-inspector-alex-polizzi-brexit-damage-8118650

Sorry I can't do the quoting thing - am on phone.

Fambo Number Mive

A PLOT where people move to nicer countries HOW DARE THEY NOT STAY HERE

Kankurette

Well, they do always tell people to leave if they don't like it.

JamesTC

Tony Tony Tony

18 pages of mostly whining, so may I point out that England were last in a major footie final in 1966 prior to joining the Common Market. Since we left Europe we have now reached our first final since then.

Makes you think.