Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 08, 2021, 07:13:38 PM
18 pages of mostly whining, so may I point out that England were last in a major footie final in 1966 prior to joining the Common Market. Since we left Europe we have now reached our first final since then.

Makes you think.

I might as well be the first non-English poster to point out that 'England' has never been a member of the Common Market or, indeed, the EU.

(I know you're 'doing a bit', but, yeah...that seems to be how a fair number of people south of the border think).

EOLAN

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 08, 2021, 07:13:38 PM
18 pages of mostly whining, so may I point out that England were last in a major footie final in 1966 prior to joining the Common Market. Since we left Europe we have now reached our first final since then.

Makes you think.

Embraced the North Koreans and took them to heart during that tournament. Assisted by Soviet officials in the final.

Now that the team is engaging in clear Marxist support the glory days are back.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 08, 2021, 05:42:29 PM

A PLOT where people move to nicer countries HOW DARE THEY NOT STAY HERE

I can tell that's from the Express just from the layout and the use of the word "plot". They love that, along with "brutal", "humiliated", "on brink", "horror" and "panic". It's cancer-tier clickbait for beetroot-faced Englanders, and very much the in-house newsletter for Brexit. I hate it.

olliebean

Apart from the fact that it's not the EU that has wooed them away but the UK that has driven them away, I'd bet most of the British nationals moving to Europe as a result of Brexit are exactly the sort of woke snowflakes that the average Brexiter would be happy to see the back of.

Fambo Number Mive

The latest Brexiteer answer to labour shortages caused by Brexit - make "illegial" immigrants do the work.

https://i.imgur.com/qmbP3sp.png

Looks like a letter printed in the Scum.

Of course many refugees and asylum seekers would love to work rather than survive on the very low benefits they get (£39.63 per week, which wouldn't even cover my weekly food bill).

https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: Endicott on June 25, 2021, 05:49:40 PM
Flora? I thought you said marmalade!

Flora?, I can fucking hear you and I live in Middlesbrough

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe UK is expected to warn the EU it is prepared to unilaterally override the Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland if a simplified agreement cannot be reached.

The Northern Ireland Protocol helps prevent the need for checks on the island of Ireland's internal border.

But Lord Frost says its implementation is unbalanced and unsustainable.

The Brexit minister will explain the government's proposals in a statement to Parliament later.

The deal was negotiated by Lord Frost but he is expected to say the protocol needs to be radically changed.

However the UK will not be triggering Article 16 of the protocol - which would allow it to suspend parts of the Brexit deal - "in the short term", a government source has said.

UK once again threatening to breach its obligations. It was this government that agreed this deal and now they don't like it. Maybe they should have thought about that before agreeing the deal, indeed maybe people like Johnson should have thought about this issue before backing Brexit.

Paul Calf

It's deliberate. Every time they openly break the law or break their word and get away with it, it erodes the trust in the institutions and people who trade in that trust. They're weakening the bonds of society.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 19, 2021, 04:36:20 PM
The latest Brexiteer answer to labour shortages caused by Brexit - make "illegial" immigrants do the work.

https://i.imgur.com/qmbP3sp.png

Derek appears to be suggesting we get illegal immigrants to drive lorries. I'm all for that!

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 21, 2021, 08:57:39 AM
It's deliberate. Every time they openly break the law or break their word and get away with it, it erodes the trust in the institutions and people who trade in that trust. They're weakening the bonds of society.

Very much this.

EOLAN

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 21, 2021, 09:26:51 AM
Derek appears to be suggesting we get illegal immigrants to drive lorries. I'm all for that!

Poor Derek only suggesting some immigrants should help out with lorry driving and agricultural fields but the editor decides to state that all of them be sent to the fields.

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 21, 2021, 08:57:39 AM

Yes but they don't get away with it when they break the law - they suffer the consequences. Look - these people have to have a day off work!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/21/tory-mps-suspended-for-trying-to-influence-judge-in-elphicke-case

Buelligan

Kankurette

Gaps in supermarket shelves and freezers caused partly due to a lack of staff/transport because of Brexit, as well as COVID. Whodathunkit.

bgmnts

We had literally no idea Brexit would have these effects though!

steveh

This is interesting on the HGV shortage problem: https://orynski.eu/20-reasons-why-there-is-shortage-of-drivers-in-the-uk/.

One thing I hadn't appreciated before was that truck drivers from elsewhere in Europe might have a delivery in one British city and a pickup in another but would take a cargo between those two cities so they weren't driving empty, but with fewer EU trucks now coming over that's meant a whole chunk of local capacity has gone.

Paul Calf

Fambo Number Mive

Miliband not being shit for a change. Or is Starmer so bad as Labour leader that even Miliband - who at least didn't want to totally destroy the Labour Party like Starmer does - now looks good by comparison

https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1418833659570888704

Fambo Number Mive

The same people who called people raising concerns about Brexit "Project Fear" are now saying that no one could have known the deal wouldn't work:

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1418108159575699459

On, and it's the EU's fault for not being "flexible". Not our fault for agreeing a rubbish deal and telling everyone it was a great victory.

Fambo Number Mive

Latest desperate attempt to try to make out Brexit is going well - according to Tory MP Andrew Bridgen it's Tony Blair's fault that we have a shortage of lorry drivers because of the drive to get 50% of young people into further education: https://www.indy100.com/politics/andrew-bridgen-lorry-driver-shortage-b1894645

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 01, 2021, 05:58:44 PM
Latest desperate attempt to try to make out Brexit is going well - according to Tory MP Andrew Bridgen it's Tony Blair's fault that we have a shortage of lorry drivers because of the drive to get 50% of young people into further education: https://www.indy100.com/politics/andrew-bridgen-lorry-driver-shortage-b1894645

Counterpoint - employers will have to start paying people more money to do this type of work rather than paying the minimum they can get away with and knowing they'll be able to import any labour shortfalls. It is a win for lower-salaried workers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58047483

Same for fruit pickers etc. If you want people to do the job, pay them. It may mean taking money from the CEO's bonus but sometimes that is preferable to going bust.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 01, 2021, 06:12:15 PM
Counterpoint - employers will have to start paying people more money to do this type of work rather than paying the minimum they can get away with and knowing they'll be able to import any labour shortfalls. It is a win for lower-salaried workers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58047483

Same for fruit pickers etc. If you want people to do the job, pay them. It may mean taking money from the CEO's bonus but sometimes that is preferable to going bust.
Oh, foolish, foolish, naive Ferris.

They won't increase wages.

They'll slash unemployment benefits.

Watch for it in the USA, where people aren't keen to go back to running between two crappy jobs and never seeing their own children when they can stay at home for the same money. Where the US leads the UK will follow.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 01, 2021, 06:26:09 PM

It'll be day after day front-page ranting about how Britain has gone soft,  how everyone is a workshy scrounger. It'll be every day, it'll be repeated by the BBC, it'll be echoed by Labour, and eventually it'll seep into the social sphere and people will agree to work shitter jobs, for shitter pay, and shitter conditions. It's what happens in this country. It's what always happens.

Kankurette

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 01, 2021, 06:26:09 PM

Watch for it in the USA, where people aren't keen to go back to running between two crappy jobs and never seeing their own children when they can stay at home for the same money. Where the US leads the UK will follow.
A common right-wing cliche is 'why don't we make unemployed people pick fruit'. I fear you may be correct.

katzenjammer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 01, 2021, 06:12:15 PM

Even if this is true it will be temporary, they'll find a way round it. There was already a lot of talk about letting more Indians and young Australians into the UK to fill the void. Brexit  was never about fairer wages for the lowest paid. There was nothing stopping uk gov from legislating and forcing employers to pay decent wages prior to Brexit if they'd had the motivation

Ferris

We shall see I suppose. I'm happy to celebrate labour taking capital to task and getting more money out of it, even if isn't done via union and is only as a result of all other outcomes being literally unworkable.

katzenjammer

Come on mate, you're talking about a the most right wing Tory government since god knows where with a massive majority. There's no 'we shall see' about it

Paul Calf

Quote from: Kankurette on August 01, 2021, 06:57:34 PM
A common right-wing cliche is 'why don't we make unemployed people pick fruit'. I fear you may be correct.

They can try it but it won't work. Picking fruit is hard work. You can't just do it - it takes several seasons for a picker to become usefully productive.

Buelligan

They also have a little problem with getting the pickers to the crop.  With a migrant force, the fruit farmers usually house them on site where they can walk their own bodies to the fruit.  Getting an army of unemployed pickers, who might live, scattered around a huge area, many of them, miles from the fields and who probably don't have transport, either public or private, adds a whole nother expensive layer of logistics to a business whose model is to pay the absolute fucking minimum they can get away with.

All the DM cocks farting on about the skyving poor will have to pay properly for their strawberries soon or forgo them entirely.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 01, 2021, 07:40:25 PM
They can try it but it won't work. Picking fruit is hard work. You can't just do it - it takes several seasons for a picker to become usefully productive.

Not quite fruit picking but this guy is like a machine
https://youtu.be/IPUdnSyzjk0
My back could endure about 30 seconds of that