Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2021, 01:42:59 PM
I think Jacob Rees-Mogg should be made to stand down from Parliament and not come back until he has surveyed every fish in the English Channel on who they preferred to be eaten by. He can spend his days on a yacht calling out questions to passing fish.

Yes this, and he accidentally interviews a box jellyfish and things get heated but Mogg won't back down (of course) and makes an off-colour remark about the jellyfish's kids having an accent and the box jellyfish stings his knob and knackers.

idunnosomename

God save are British fish
God save are glorious fish
God save are fish

Send them victorious
Happy and glorious
I want to fuck all of them

FFUUUCK ALLL
OF
ARE

FIIIIIIIIIISH

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2021, 01:42:59 PM
I think Jacob Rees-Mogg should be made to stand down from a scaffold and not come back until hanged by the neck until dead.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: jobotic on January 14, 2021, 11:07:52 AM
Thought he'd moved on to a new enemy - cyclists.
According to Farage's Twitter, China is now our number one enemy, although he's still moaning about immigrants and lockdown - and calling for Tony Blair to join the government to help fight COVID. It's always hard to tell if Farage is a machiavellian mastermind or your drunk uncle shouting at shadows.

Fresh from the Quelle Surprise department:

https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

Worker protections enshrined in EU law — including the 48-hour week — would be ripped up under plans being drawn up by the government as part of a post-Brexit overhaul of UK labour markets. 
The main areas of focus are on ending the 48-hour working week, tweaking the rules around rest breaks at work and not including overtime pay when calculating some holiday pay entitlements, according to people familiar with the plans.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Darles Chickens on January 14, 2021, 10:24:06 PM
Fresh from the Quelle Surprise department:

https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

QuoteWorker protections enshrined in EU law — including the 48-hour week — would be ripped up under plans being drawn up by the government as part of a post-Brexit overhaul of UK labour markets.

QuoteThe main areas of focus are on ending the 48-hour working week, tweaking the rules around rest breaks at work and not including overtime pay when calculating some holiday pay entitlements, according to people familiar with the plans.

bUt JuSt ImAgInE iF jErEmY cOrByN

EDIT: lol the financial times doesn't even offer a free trial

evilcommiedictator

There's going to be an endless stream of these, right? (Checks that I'm the one posting an endless stream of these.........)

JamesTC

I wonder if she has considered taking her crabs and sticking them up her arse.

bgmnts

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 14, 2021, 11:14:07 PM
There's going to be an endless stream of these, right? (Checks that I'm the one posting an endless stream of these.........)

How can you be a businesswoman and be so incredibly dense?

Genuinely hope she goes broke as fuck and her family absolutely despise her until she dies in a really shit old people's home, alone and sad.

bgmnts

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/13/fisheries-minister-admits-not-reading-brexit-bill-as-she-was-at-nativity

More evidence that they literally don't care in the slightest and its all a bit of a joke really.

No reason to not vote for SNP or Plaid now.

Paul Calf

Quote from: JamesTC on January 14, 2021, 11:23:01 PM
I wonder if she has considered taking her crabs and sticking them up her arse.

Typical Remainer selfishness. No thought at all for the army of Dudley Moores who'll have to remove them.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: bgmnts on January 15, 2021, 12:37:57 AM
How can you be a businesswoman and be so incredibly dense?

Genuinely hope she goes broke as fuck and her family absolutely despise her until she dies in a really shit old people's home, alone and sad.

I've seen people on Twitter start saying that they feel sorry for her, which made me question my feelings towards her and her business, because I took a great deal of schadenfreude from this.

I still don't have any sympathy for her (although I do for any of her employees), she would no doubt class herself as an intelligent person and business savvy, so she was obviously well-informed about Brexit and should have known the risks.

I am really not feeling charitable towards Brexiteer business owners who have fucked over their own business and the livelihoods of their staff. Though no doubt she'll be happy when the Tories save her business by enabling her to re-hire her staff on £1 an hour and work 20-hour shifts with no holiday pay / statutory sick pay / care about working conditions.

paruses

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 15, 2021, 08:24:24 AM
I've seen people on Twitter start saying that they feel sorry for her, which made me question my feelings towards her and her business, because I took a great deal of schadenfreude from this.

I still don't have any sympathy for her (although I do for any of her employees), she would no doubt class herself as an intelligent person and business savvy, so she was obviously well-informed about Brexit and should have known the risks.

I am really not feeling charitable towards Brexiteer business owners who have fucked over their own business and the livelihoods of their staff. Though no doubt she'll be happy when the Tories save her business by enabling her to re-hire her staff on £1 an hour and work 20-hour shifts with no holiday pay / statutory sick pay / care about working conditions.

I get a hit of schadenfreude too but know that so many of these people just need to survive long enough that they can implement the Victorian Mill Owner model that will have them lauded as amazing business people.

I assume that 40k Brexit costs is just seen as a stake in the long game and separate from the 50k of seafood held up at the border. That looked like live-export anyway so again I assume it's not loss.

paruses

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 14, 2021, 11:14:07 PM

Hadn't realised that those were two different stories but my previous post stands as a general point. In this case I am sorry for her employees and her suppliers because it looks like they will be fucked either by going bust or supplying to Youngs / Ross / Whoever for peanuts in the near future. But she didn't vote in a vacuum so I have no sympathy for her outside of I am sorry she is not very good at business.

frajer

Massive part of it for these dopes must be the blind refusal to believe they made a mistake, despite all the facts confirming otherwise. The Brexiteer ego can't admit that it's been duped or misled.

So "This is going to be great for Britain" now has to morph into "We always knew this was going to be shit for Britain, but in the long-term it'll be worth it."

I hope she falls into a vat of shellfish, gulps down a few pints of fetid water before being pulled out, then has the shits for the rest of her natural.

Paul Calf

She had the same information as people who knew that Brexit was obviously an economically and politically disastrous power grab by the far right that would kill small businesses in their thousands. She wasn't forced into voting Leave, and she was only deceived as much as anyone else. She had actual money in the game and due to her business position was more vulnerable than most.

And still she voted Leave. I know we're not supposed to say people like this are dumb, but she really is.

Paul Calf

Quote from: frajer on January 15, 2021, 09:39:20 AM
Massive part of it for these dopes must be the blind refusal to believe they made a mistake, despite all the facts confirming otherwise. The Brexiteer ego can't admit that it's been duped or misled.

So "This is going to be great for Britain" now has to morph into "We always knew this was going to be shit for Britain, but in the long-term it'll be worth it."

I hope she falls into a vat of shellfish, gulps down a few pints of fetid water before being pulled out, then has the shits for the rest of her natural.

Just wait until it falls to "We always knew it would be great for Britain and it is. Look at the glories of this nation and shut up or you'll be ejected from your company-owned accommodation and pushed out on the streets into the Covids.

Fambo Number Mive

They'll probably use the same "argument" those trying to defend the government's handling of COVID will, complaining about "doom and gloom" in the media and getting annoyed at people attacking the government. Some Tories use the bullshit argument that "it is the Opposition's job to oppose, not the media" ignoring that the media should be holding the powerful to account.

Paul Calf

olliebean

I would love it if "I am not a student. I am a professional business woman. WTF!!" became a meme.

EOLAN

Quote from: olliebean on January 15, 2021, 11:40:48 AM
I would love it if "I am not a student. I am a professional business woman. WTF!!" became a meme.

I think her non-response to the "Did you book a seat" question also speaks volumes. Love to have seen the horror on her face when she would have seen a student sitting in a seat while this esteemed professional woman has to be one of those standing.

Of course; her main focus is what's best for the future generations of course.

frajer

Quote from: EOLAN on January 15, 2021, 12:01:00 PM
I think her non-response to the "Did you book a seat" question also speaks volumes.

Turned off replies. (They never answer!!)

monkfromhavana

Quote from: frajer on January 15, 2021, 09:39:20 AM

This seems to be such a massive thing nowadays (or was it always like this and I just didn't notice). Why can nobody admit to being wrong about anything? Is it that we have built a society where "failure" is not an option? Where people can't admit that they're not perfect? Have their been any studies by people who know about this shit?

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: EOLAN on January 15, 2021, 12:01:00 PM
I think her non-response to the "Did you book a seat" question also speaks volumes. 

She did respond:

https://twitter.com/NerysAEdwards/status/834491973792890892?s=20

Quoteno. I have an open return. I normally have no problem as I am going to Rhyl. Really disappointed.

I would be really disappointed if I was going to Rhyl as well.

Bleeding Kansas

Also, who is this Nerys Edwards on twitter? Are we just talking about anyone who is called Nerys Edwards?