Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 04, 2021, 11:00:07 AM
(Cameron) if he hadn't called the Brexit referendum they'd still love him.
Mind you, if he hadn't called the Brexit referendum he might still be Prime Minister.

If he was still PM he wouldn't have had the opportunity to earn(?) those Greensill millions.

Fambo Number Mive

How are Leavers spinning the roaming charges? Claiming it's people own fault for leaving the fair island of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?

Not sure how they can spin the untreated sewage. I'm sure they'll try though, although it doesn't seem to be in the media much.

jobotic

Fambo Number Mive

"What about all the turds on our beaches?"

"I see no shit"

robhug

but its british shit on british beaches and thats what i voted for and boris has delivered yet again

jobotic

It's probably coming from all those illegal immigrant boats

No look it's coming from that big pipe on the shore

Don't cancel me, snowflake

steveh

If I'm understanding it right, the sewage problem is worse than the reports have said because if the filter beds don't have the necessary ferric sulphate then they will become damaged and getting them back into a usable state will be much more difficult.

robhug

the more I read about this sewage problem, the more it stinks.

paruses

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 09, 2021, 12:41:12 PM
"What about all the turds on our beaches?"

"I see no shits"

I liked this but that missing "s" was driving me insane. Sorry.

Fambo Number Mive

Marks & Spencer has said it is closing 11 of its French stores because of problems supplying them with fresh and chilled foods since Brexit.

Not sure how many jobs per store that is but it's not great news for the French jobs market. I'm sure that job losses in France will be seen as a victory by some Leavers.

evilcommiedictator

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

https://www.ft.com/content/23569cd6-edc1-475e-956a-53ffe5ac5f1c

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
   https://www.ft.com/content/23569cd6-edc1-475e-956a-53ffe5ac5f1c

Boris Johnson's government has promised it will legislate to allow British traders to sell their wares in pounds and ounces, rather than grammes and kilos, as it unveiled plans to seek a deregulatory dividend from Brexit.

I'll take a rod, three chains and a inch of rope my good man, and if you don't help me, I'll take you to BREXIT COURT

imitationleather

The Metric Martyrs are looking down from Imperial Heaven and smiling.

gilbertharding

The crown stamp back on pint glasses. Sorry, 'proudly adorning' (according to the Telegraph) pint glasses.

There was absolutely nothing stopping UK pint glasses having the crown stamp (in addition to a CE mark) up until this point. Who are these people?

phantom_power

If you are looking at what is stamped on your pint glass you must have some fucking boring mates

frajer

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 17, 2021, 11:07:27 AM
The crown stamp back on pint glasses. Sorry, 'proudly adorning' (according to the Telegraph) pint glasses.

There was absolutely nothing stopping UK pint glasses having the crown stamp (in addition to a CE mark) up until this point. Who are these people?

Ahhhhhh just tastes more British doesn't it. Another Heineken thanks.

Cuellar

katzenjammer

Those old units were just based on whatever anyone happened to have lying around at the time weren't they?

JamesTC

monkfromhavana

Can't wait til we can start basing our British paints back on good, old-fashioned British lead.

mobias

Interesting twitter thread here about why the imperial weights thing is a total load of bollocks. https://twitter.com/PippaMusgrave1/status/1438559713604608003

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 17, 2021, 02:45:22 PM
Can't wait til we can start basing our British paints back on good, old-fashioned British lead.

And the old phosphorescent paint that was full of radioactive material to get stuff glowing like in the old days.

Just get Timex done.

Cuellar

Quote from: mobias on September 17, 2021, 02:49:12 PM
Interesting twitter thread here about why the imperial weights thing is a total load of bollocks. https://twitter.com/PippaMusgrave1/status/1438559713604608003

Quote5.  We have a national shortage of Weights and Measures Inspectors.  Are you going to pay for new inspectors to be trained (which currently takes 6 years)?

Might do this if they offer

JamesTC

An tSaoi

Quote from: mobias on September 17, 2021, 02:49:12 PM
Interesting twitter thread here about why the imperial weights thing is a total load of bollocks.

I reckon all the official business will still be done in metric, and essentially nothing will change, except butchers and market traders will be allowed to write imperial measurements in marker on those high-vis star-shaped labels, without being required to display the metric equivalent (which everything will still be based on). In that "specific and limited" sense, the idea could be carried out without really doing anything, and cranky old gits will feel like they finally got one over on Fritz.

steveh

Don't most market traders just do fixed price bowls these days anyway or is that just a London thing?

paruses

Quote from: Cuellar on September 17, 2021, 02:54:17 PM
Might do this if they offer

6 years to learn how to read some scales or a measuring jug?

I would love to be HM Inspector of Weights and Measures though. Or boobs.

Kankurette

frajer

Quote from: paruses on September 17, 2021, 03:48:26 PM

I would love to be HM Inspector of Weights and Measures though. Or boobs.

Do you want me to weigh your boobs?

Waheyyyyyeyyyeyyy ok now fill out this form in triplicate with a BLUE pen.

Cuellar

Quote from: paruses on September 17, 2021, 03:48:26 PM

Yeah, it'd be good I reckon.

"Excuse me, that's a pound is it?"
"Hi there, here to check your pounds"

Yeah, could do that.

I don't even know what a pound is really. Apart from large scale having to translate stupid American weightlifting feats of strength into real understandable measurements.

paruses

Quote from: frajer on September 17, 2021, 03:50:07 PM
Do you want me to weigh your boobs?

Waheyyyyyeyyyeyyy ok now fill out this form in triplicate with a BLUE pen.

Can fully imagine boob inspector is nowhere near as glamorous as it sounds. Bit like how window cleaner is mainly just cleaning windows despite what those 70s advertorials promised.