Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhug

blimey, even the empty shelves have been flogged there. if they get a delivery they'll just have to scatter it across the floor. 

steveh

Was at the big Oxford St M&S yesterday and they'd closed off the top floors (though the escalators were still running), squeezed in a selection of what was there on other floors and badly painted over the old signs of what was on what floor. Didn't exactly inspire confidence in them.

seepage

Was that M&S Marble Arch [i.e. not the Pantheon]? If so, they are redeveloping the site and plan to rent out the upper floors as offices.

imitationleather

Quote from: seepage on September 30, 2021, 02:45:04 PM
Was that M&S Marble Arch [i.e. not the Pantheon]? If so, they are redeveloping the site and plan to rent out the upper floors as offices.

Nah, Newcastle.

paruses

Ah - addressing that other problem of a lack of office space. This is all coming together nicely.

pigamus

steveh

That was the one I was referring to. Still supposed to be a couple of years away from them starting work on redeveloping it though.

buzby

Quote from: steveh on September 30, 2021, 03:12:55 PM
That was the one I was referring to. Still supposed to be a couple of years away from them starting work on redeveloping it though.
If they can prove to the council the floorspace is not in use, they can get a reduction in business rates. We did the same thing with our large open-plan office at the start fo the first lockdown - barriered half of it off for the council inspection.

katzenjammer

Mr_Simnock

Just to make it clear, there wsn't one planned anyway, just that now a potential plant won't be considered in the UK IF they do invest in a factory in Europe.

katzenjammer

Yes, they won't even consider the UK, because of Brexit. They won't be the last

Fambo Number Mive

Great way to make more work for underpaid, overworked supermarket staff: https://twitter.com/JohnTwelvetrees/status/1441779403017515011

I agree with what the sticker says but what do these people expect to happen? We aren't going to rejoin the EU and even if we elected a government of FBPE types I imagine the EU would say no. "Blame Brexit not Covid" does also ignore how the government's plan to have the virus let rip is making so many people sick.

bgmnts

Would the supermarket workers be obliged to take them down? Fuck it leave them up.

Fambo Number Mive

I imagine central office would issue a directive to managers, especially if a load of gammons kicked off and wrote to supermarket head offices.

paruses

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 13, 2021, 12:44:47 PM
I imagine central office would issue a directive to managers, especially if a load of gammons kicked off and wrote to supermarket head offices.

Yea - bit like removing all the unnecessary wrappings around fruit and veg and dumping it at the cash register -  a worthy sentiment but it's just some poor sod on minimum wage who has to come round and clear it all up as well as mop up in aisle 2.

jobotic

So the EU have offered what business wants. Expect it to be rejected as the Tories need to be able to blame the EU for all the shit to come.

George Oscar Bluth II

The thing I can't quite get over here is that these people think the problem with the Brexit deal is in the bit of the UK that hasn't had rolling shortages of basic goods in the shops.

monkfromhavana

pigamus

Quote from: jobotic on October 13, 2021, 07:14:01 PM
So the EU have offered what business wants. Expect it to be rejected as the Tories need to be able to blame the EU for all the shit to come.

It does seem to vindicate a hardline strategy, as they seem to have offered more than the UK was expecting already, and they might move on the courts in Northern Ireland. Frustrating for those of us who want to see them tell B**** to go fuck himself.

Mr_Simnock

Isn't it pretty much accepted that the main reason Nissan stuck around is that UKGov basically gave them a huge bribe to stay. No idea about Ford.

Buelligan

An awful lot of public money going to support foreign shareholder's interests so's (some) British workers get to keep their jobs after Brexit.  But, if you don't think about it too much, it looks fine.  Hurrah for Britain throwing off the chains of outside interference.

Quote from: Investment MonitorNissan's plans for a £1bn electric vehicle (EV) hub in Sunderland have been greeted with great fanfare by the UK government, with the investment described by Prime Minister Boris Johnson as a "pivotal moment" for the UK's post-EU future.

The government is backing the investment with £100m in subsidies, equivalent to 35% of Nissan's total capital investment costs, and providing the land at agricultural rates.

Quote from: The FTThe US group (Ford) will establish production of electric power units at the site from 2024 in a move that will safeguard 500 jobs. The investment is conditional on £30m of government funding, according to people familiar with the matter.

With the UK banning petrol and diesel vehicle sales from 2030, the car industry is under intense pressure to establish the infrastructure, including the supply of batteries, to produce electric cars at scale and protect jobs.

Ministers have set aside £500m in total to try to convince electric car and battery manufacturers to bring work to the UK to protect the country's vehicle and component plants. The UK has said it will end the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035, with some hybrids allowed after 2030.

https://investmentmonitor.ai/analysis/government-subsidies-sunderland-brexit
https://www.ft.com/content/38579e30-d4ce-4dee-9acd-52d7e6350e87
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/22/uk-gives-ford-500m-in-loan-guarantees-to-support-exports

Theremin

Is £60,000 per job a good rate?

Someone clever at money help me

Mr_Simnock

Yes it won't be built here but it's still expanding the hub in the UK which is good.