Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:58:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Brexit fallout - we can't have our cake or eat it

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on January 15, 2021, 01:19:53 PM
Also, who is this Nerys Edwards on twitter? Are we just talking about anyone who is called Nerys Edwards?

You don't know Nerys Edwards?

This is top business brain Nerys Edwards who backed reducing her access to the market but increasing the inconvenience and costs of trading with it. I think she did it for her grandchildren or something.

paruses

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on January 15, 2021, 01:44:12 PM
But this isn't her Twitter account?

Can't believe there's two Nerys Edwards in Wales. You're right though - I need a bigger screen or better eye sight. This one seems OK too apart from the train mis-step. AND she grows mushrooms. I for one apologise. But not for the train thing - someone has to have the shitty seat near the doors once in a while.

Endicott

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 15, 2021, 01:01:20 PM
This seems to be such a massive thing nowadays (or was it always like this and I just didn't notice). Why can nobody admit to being wrong about anything? Is it that we have built a society where "failure" is not an option? Where people can't admit that they're not perfect? Have their been any studies by people who know about this shit?

There's an age old rule for weddings, and many other large gatherings, Xmas with the family, etc, and that rule is don't talk about politics. This goes back as far as I can remember, and the reason for it was to stop people getting into fights.

So I don't think people have changed, but one's exposure has, mainly because the old social norms don't apply to social media, at least not in the same way.

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: paruses on January 15, 2021, 02:04:27 PM
But not for the train thing - someone has to have the shitty seat near the doors once in a while.

But she is a professional business woman? WTF!!

idunnosomename

if that's not the Brexit woman, I'll go to Rhyl

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on January 15, 2021, 02:19:56 PM
But she is a professional business woman? WTF!!

my thoughts exactly!!!

ps yes she doesnt look as matted cat lady. appleoggies. off to rhyl i go

Cuellar

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on January 15, 2021, 12:37:57 AM
How can you be a businesswoman and be so incredibly dense?

Genuinely hope she goes broke as fuck and her family absolutely despise her until she dies in a really shit old people's home, alone and sad.

i bet theres inherited wealth there

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 15, 2021, 08:24:24 AM
I've seen people on Twitter start saying that they feel sorry for her, which made me question my feelings towards her and her business, because I took a great deal of schadenfreude from this.

I still don't have any sympathy for her (although I do for any of her employees), she would no doubt class herself as an intelligent person and business savvy, so she was obviously well-informed about Brexit and should have known the risks.

I am really not feeling charitable towards Brexiteer business owners who have fucked over their own business and the livelihoods of their staff. Though no doubt she'll be happy when the Tories save her business by enabling her to re-hire her staff on £1 an hour and work 20-hour shifts with no holiday pay / statutory sick pay / care about working conditions.

she had a duty of care to her employees, she endangered that by voting for fucking things up

hang her

Fambo Number Mive

@TOrynski

QuotePolish trucking magazine http://40ton.net reports: A Polish truck driver entered Kent on Monday with valid Kent permit. He turned up at Ashford when they told him that his documents need to be double-checked, so he was sent to a different truck park to wait. 1/4

On Wednesday (!) he was informed his paperwork got a green light and told to come back to Ashford custom place only to find that custom truck park is full. He was told to park on yet another truck park which serves the queue. 2/4

There, the police come and fined him 300 pounds because his Kent access permit has by this time expired. So apparently the document called "kent access permit" needs to be renamed to "Kent accessing and then sitting for days, waiting for the paperwork permit". 3/4

Also, in Ashford drivers have to wait up to 4 hours outside in the rain in the queue to the customs office...

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1349784018628259841

Imagine if this was happening to British truckers, the same right-wing politicians who are responsible for this would be furious.

jobotic

It's so depressing.

The BBC etc will never report this, no one in government gives a shit and the opposition don't want to upset the racists they are so desperately courting.

Fucking cunts.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

And the fucking over of Ireland begins, with RTÉ reporting that the Freight Transport Association of Ireland have written to the Taoiseach warning that some companies will cease trading and supply lines will disappear because of post-Brexit customs rules.

bgmnts

Enzo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 15, 2021, 07:24:25 PM
And the fucking over of Ireland begins, with RTÉ reporting that the Freight Transport Association of Ireland have written to the Taoiseach warning that some companies will cease trading and supply lines will disappear because of post-Brexit customs rules.

We might need to change our reliance and tastes from British brands to French stuff. Gitanes and C'ote dor for all!

paruses

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 15, 2021, 05:26:15 PM
i bet theres inherited wealth there

Maybe - she took over the business, that exports to Europe, from her parents. She gets a mention in the last paragraph of an article on how fucked that part of the Welsh economy is and got a whole article on how fucked her business is, on ITV hub :

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-01-15/family-run-business-risks-losing-50000-worth-of-shellfish-after-brexit-delays-at-french-border

No mention that even as an exporter primarily to Spain she fully backed this.

sirhenry

In that article it says:
QuoteA fourth-generation shellfish wholesaler has sent £50,000-worth of fish to France
and
QuoteThe 53-year-old businesswoman took on the wholesale business after her parents, who started exporting shellfish to the continent in an old horsebox.
Why can't she use the time machine that the family obviously has to go back to a simpler time when we were part of the European Community?

NoSleep

A time machine would be the ultimate way to keep the catch fresh.

evilcommiedictator

She could take all the UKIPpers back in time to the 40s and leave them there, that would be great, she'd make a ton of money from them as well for the service.

Kankurette

Attila the Stockbroker's page is full of angry Gillian Duffy fanboys.

Can't call bigots bigots or they'll get upset and vote for the Tories. Or Brexit. Or both. And somehow, no black or Asian working class people exist.

NoSleep

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 17, 2021, 10:42:57 PM
She could take all the UKIPpers back in time to the 40s and leave them there, that would be great, she'd make a ton of money from them as well for the service.

But they would then welcome the Nazis into Britain.

Buelligan

Just thought I'd mention - today is my day for getting a lift to the shop with the old British man.  He told me that he'd planned to send a cheering parcel of delicacies and useful things to some old-age Kipper friends of his in the UK, to brighten their ancient New Year.  Went to the post office with his box of foie gras (I know), truffles, special French rheumatism cream that the wife-one swears by and can't get in Britain, all the things they wanted.  Couldn't send it. 

Well, could but would have to go home, fill out an online itemised customs declaration and take out anything of animal origin or anything medical.  So those antediluvian Farage fans will not be getting theirs.  Serves them fucking right.  Still, feel sorry for the geese though. 

bgmnts

I do hope every single one of those cunts in that story gets a pipe shoved down their throat and has mulched up greggs pasties poured down their gullet until their liver swells to the point of such excruciating pain that the feeling of the bolt gun pressed up against their head feels like a hug from mummy.

Paul Calf

The infuriating thing is, we'll still be dealing with this long after the cunts who voted for it are dead.

Fambo Number Mive

There's been a protest in Westminster by fishing businesses against the disruption caused by Brexit. BBC claim 15-20 lorries in the protest (that's what the video says, the text says "more than 20" for some reason).

QuoteMark Moore, manager of the Dartmouth Crab Company, said his business and others were protesting to "raise awareness" of the impact of new border checks.

He told BBC Radio Five Live his company had faced delays of up to eight and a half hours when delivering produce into the European Union.

He added that the situation was "especially difficult" for the shellfish sector, where goods were at risk of going off before reaching customers.

"It's not about the increased documentation per se," he said.

"We have taken that on board, and we ourselves - and I know many others - have had no issues with producing the actual paperwork."

"It's the volume required and the timeframe in which to produce it, which doesn't lend itself to live shellfish and fish generally."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55706114

Mark Moore's also said on LBC that "the bulk of the fishing industry voted for Brexit but it's the terms we have to work under now"

frajer

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 18, 2021, 01:07:32 PM
Mark Moore's also said on LBC that "the bulk of the fishing industry voted for Brexit but it's the terms we have to work under now"

I'm sure the bulk of the fishing industry did vote for Brexit, probably because they were consistently lied to about what it would involve. How many times did Johnson promise that we would be reclaiming our (nebulous) borders and that we could throw all (vitally important) paperwork in the bin? Roughly 8,000?

I am not a violent man but I think it's every British citizen's duty that, if you ever find yourself in a lift with our piss-haired, No-Face-gone-mad-with-greed-in-the-bathhouse of a PM, you must hoof him squarely in the bollocks.

Buelligan

I'm not especially sorry for them tbh.  They voted for what they believed would make them more money, they knew it would fuck other people but they wanted more for themselves.  Where was their solidarity with the fishing fleets of other countries?  Solidarity with other people outside their own little sphere?  Now they're getting fucked with the rest.

I'm not crazy about the idea of fish-murder and the depredation of the natural world for profit anyway.  Won't someone think of the fishies!?1!!!!!!!!!

idunnosomename

There ought to be a statue of a happy British fish to teach these fools their history!