Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that seem to be punchlines in US comedy...

Started by Starlit, January 08, 2021, 08:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starlit

... but don't really work in the UK.

- Do you validate parking?
- Will they have shrimp?
- .... Prius

I'm sure I've heard these in several different US TV comedies, to roars of laughter from the audience.
I understand the references, but they just don't seem to be that universally funny in the UK.

Replies From View

"Try not to crack open the toilet bowl with your overwhelmingly fat, heavy arse, sir."

US audiences reliably laugh at that one because they always crack toilet bowls open with their arses.

Dusty Substance

".... You can't go on a date wearing that. Looks like you bought it from Wallmart/Target...." - I've always guessed those shops are the U.S equivalent of Woolworth (R.I.P) and Tesco.

".... Like *character name* from Gilligan's Island..." - A show hugely popular in the U.S but only a tenth of the episodes were broadcast here and never repeated.

Talking about American cars that aren't sold anywhere else because they're shite (e.g. oldsmobiles, lincolns, chevettes).

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 08, 2021, 08:57:24 PM
".... Like *character name* from Gilligan's Island..." - A show hugely popular in the U.S but only a tenth of the episodes were broadcast here and never repeated.
Also: the Love Boat, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, the Jeffersons, etc. Crappy sitcoms seem to be very influential for a certain generation of US comedy writers.

George White

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on January 08, 2021, 09:28:03 PM
Talking about American cars that aren't sold anywhere else because they're shite (e.g. oldsmobiles, lincolns, chevettes).
Also: the Love Boat, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, the Jeffersons, etc. Crappy sitcoms seem to be very influential for a certain generation of US comedy writers.
Three of those four were shown in the UK, but their success depended on the ITV regional lottery.
The Jeffersons never got shown, though All in the Family and weirdly 704 Hauser were.

JaDanketies

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on January 08, 2021, 09:28:03 PM
I dunno about that, my Great Uncle had a Chevette just like this one:

It was a hunk of crap though, that much is true.

JaDanketies

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 08, 2021, 09:39:43 PM
I dunno about that, my Great Uncle had a Chevette just like this one:
It was a hunk of crap though, that much is true.

I saw a Chrysler yesterday.

You don't get many interesting anecdotes in the COVID lockdown so I can't really add to my story.

mippy

Family Guy uses these so often,but mainly the Kool-Aid jug breaking through the wall.

Replies From View

Countless punchlines stated with honestly the most absurd voice I have ever heard, which I can only assume from my scant experience of America must be some kind of accent.

If you must speak at all then do it with a normal British voice!  And don't expect me to laugh at your punchlines until you do!

neveragain

Do you mean that shrill rising inflection that lasts half a sentence?

Possibly the same thing as 'That Voice' which, according to SOTCAA, blights British comedy. Sometimes they were right.

evilcommiedictator

IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!

*Insert name of ancient quiz show host here*

Cold Meat Platter

I liked Stewart Lee's line about watching American comedians in Content Provider  "we don't have those cakes here mate."

Gurke and Hare

Cars was the first thing I thought of, specifically the episode of Cheers where it's apparently hugely humiliating for Sam to have to drive a Volare. Oh, okay.

H-O-W-L

"ROSS!! YOU CAN'T FUCK A CHIMP ON MY SOFA!!"

To the roars of the (undoubtedly fat and consuming cheeseburgers while giving a standing ovation to a terrorist being shot repeatedly off-camera) American audience of Americans who are so American they can't shut the fuck up.

... Is this a HS Art post in disguise? Probably, but I'm going to click that button anyway.

beanheadmcginty

Mentions of someone or something known as "Urkle"

famethrowa

A recent twatter favourite, as a reply to a lengthy passionate opinion or screed: "Sir, this is a Wendy's drive-thru"

Doesn't work as well in countries unsaturated by drive-through restaurants.

Urinal Cake

British = English. Like British teeth or Harry Potter.

Gulftastic

Hamilton tickets are quite difficult to get hold of, I assume.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on January 09, 2021, 12:27:27 AM
I liked Stewart Lee's line about watching American comedians in Content Provider  "we don't have those cakes here mate."

"I don't know whether to eat it, OR SHOVE IT UP MY ASS"

easytarget

They ask where the beef is - British people don't know where the beef is!

They've fallen... ...and they can't get up - British can always get up - not relatable

"ahaha just like Colonel Klink" - this references doesn't work in England, where he's called leftenant pigeon

America's Funniest Home Videos == Yorkshire's least upsetting Victrola recordings

Lungpuddle

I might just be ignorant, but who the fuck are Captain and/or Tennille?

daf

Quote from: Lungpuddle on January 09, 2021, 07:13:03 AM
who the fuck are Captain and/or Tennille?

Husband and wife duo - had a Top 32 hit in the UK in 1975 with a cover of Neil Sedaka's Love Will Keep Us Together. Their UK peak was "Do That To Me One More Time" - which reached #7 in February 1980.

'Captain' was Daryl Dragon - a mate of Dennis Wilson, who played some keyboards on a few early 70's Beach Boys albums and was in the touring band. I think his trademark was wearing a white sailor's cap - hence the nickname.

'Tennile' was Toni Tennile - a singer who married Dragon in 1975. She also sang backing vocals on Elton John's 1974 'Caribou' album, and (along with Beach Boy Bruce Johnston) on Pink Floyd's 1979 album 'The Wall'.

thenoise

Quote from: mippy on January 08, 2021, 10:41:07 PM
Family Guy uses these so often,but mainly the Kool-Aid jug breaking through the wall.

Family guy references are usually funnier if you dont know the source, and just assume it to be random silliness.

Any reference to 'kool-aid' makes me think of Jim Jones, usually a more tasteless reference than intended.

Magnum Valentino

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Not a punchline, but friendly neighbours walking into the kitchen of our Sit- Com heroes, and pulling a beer out of the fridge, and opening and drinking the fucking thing whilst having a plot- developing chat. They don't even ask if they can do that half the time. If they tried that in a British Sit- Com, they'd be told to get fucked.

Also, Detroit being a shithole, but that doesn't get used so much nowadays.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 08, 2021, 08:57:24 PM".... Like *character name* from Gilligan's Island..." - A show hugely popular in the U.S but only a tenth of the episodes were broadcast here and never repeated.

I've never seen Gilligan's Island, and i've never read up in it or anything, but think I could make a pretty good fist of describing what it's about based purely on secondhand pop culture gags in other US shows.

Janie Jones

I remember being baffled by an early episode of Rosanne which revolved around the trauma caused by the fact that in front of her classmates, 'Becky cut the cheese!'