Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,480
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:58:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that seem to be punchlines in US comedy...

Started by Starlit, January 08, 2021, 08:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NurseNugent

easytarget

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 19, 2021, 06:06:08 PM
Men leaving the toilet seat up.
This is standard hack both sides of the Atlantic though isn't it? (or have I been over here too long?)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

famethrowa

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

One I don't understand and am kind of afraid to ask about: black people being bad at swimming seems to come up a lot - although, I assume, less so recently.

Quote from: easytarget on February 20, 2021, 06:28:18 AM
This is standard hack both sides of the Atlantic though isn't it? (or have I been over here too long?)
Are brave ladies don't balk at lowering a seat.

petril

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 20, 2021, 02:24:12 PM
One I don't understand and am kind of afraid to ask about: black people being bad at swimming seems to come up a lot - although, I assume, less so recently.

yeah, that ties into public swimming pools, racist and segregation over time so that loads of post-war black folks simply never got the chance to learn. not sure how that's been changing recently, if at all though.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: petrilTanaka on February 20, 2021, 05:59:21 PM
not sure how that's been changing recently, if at all though.
I assume such stereotypes wouldn't fly these days, although that might be naive of me.

easytarget

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 20, 2021, 06:12:31 PM
I assume such stereotypes wouldn't fly these days, although that might be naive of me.

30 Rock joked about it (see Jack's comments when Liz was dating someone called 'Stephen Black' who liked Star Wars but not that Star Wars - IIRC). But 30 Rock is no longer the metric for awesome progressive switched on jokes.

easytarget

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 20, 2021, 02:24:12 PM
Are brave ladies don't balk at lowering a seat.
Tell your 80s/90s stand ups that.

(unless I'm actually remembering American ones - in which case, point to you, your serve).

sutin

Quote from: famethrowa on February 20, 2021, 07:52:55 AM
Sarsparilla

Genuinely thought Sarasparilla was a Northern Irish invention and was available nowhere else. The Maine soft drinks company in N.I. produces it.

NurseNugent

Quote from: sutin on February 21, 2021, 03:07:13 PM
Genuinely thought Sarasparilla was a Northern Irish invention and was available nowhere else. The Maine soft drinks company in N.I. produces it.

Wasn't it used to treat VD or was that something else?

Pink Gregory

Had some root beer recently and it tasted *exactly* like the mouthwash at my childhood dentist.

olliebean

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 21, 2021, 04:34:05 PM
Had some root beer recently and it tasted *exactly* like the mouthwash at my childhood dentist.

They're both flavoured with wintergreen.

JesusAndYourBush

... Hacky sack.

Always assumed it was a bean bag that you just sortof mucked around with, turns out (via Google) there's a lot more to it than that.

petril

I thought it was keepy uppies but ruined by not being able to turn into knocking a ball about with your mates after five minutes when you realise keepy uppies are a bit shit

famethrowa

Someone being a:
- linebacker
- teamster
- longshoreman

(based on my knowledge of 70s/80s MAD magazine)

easytarget

Quote from: famethrowa on February 28, 2021, 10:17:51 PM
Someone being a:
- linebacker
- teamster
- longshoreman

(based on my knowledge of 70s/80s MAD magazine)
also 'stevedore'

famethrowa

Middle aged school teachers referring to their young teenage students as "Mr (surname)" or "Ms (surname)"

BeardFaceMan

Fambo Number Mive

Men about to marry women having to be over-respectful to their fiancee's father, calling him Sir all the time and generally being forced to prove that they are "good enough" to marry their daughter.

Have we mentioned that yet? We probably have.

famethrowa

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 19, 2021, 11:08:07 AM
Retirement communities in Florida, and the petty bureaucracy and politics therein.

"Condos".

what?

Gurke and Hare

I've just remembered that Roseanne opened a cafe selling "loose meat sandwiches" and all the rest of the characters carried on as if that was a normal thing to do.

beanheadmcginty

Icehaven

Teenagers leaning out of a car window and smashing mailboxes with a baseball bat.

olliebean

Quote from: NurseNugent on March 03, 2021, 08:32:43 PM
Julia Child impressions.

I have never seen Julia Child and have absolutely no idea what she is like, so I guess loads of these have probably gone entirely over my head.