Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that seem to be punchlines in US comedy...

Started by Starlit, January 08, 2021, 08:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

famethrowa

Quote from: olliebean on March 03, 2021, 09:23:41 PM
I have never seen Julia Child and have absolutely no idea what she is like, so I guess loads of these have probably gone entirely over my head.

She's some TV chef from back in the 1900's or something, but when she talks it's like she's taking the piss and doing an impression of herself.

Icehaven

SAT scores with numbers like 1250, completely incomprehensible to anyone unfamiliar with the American education system.

idunnosomename

paperboys hurling newspapers at your house and breaking things

famethrowa

Quote from: icehaven on March 07, 2021, 01:08:35 PM
SAT scores with numbers like 1250, completely incomprehensible to anyone unfamiliar with the American education system.

GPA of 7.465, the class curve

Gulftastic

George White

Sarah Lancashire is playing her in an HBO miniseries.

No, really.

earl_sleek

Being a member of Beta Kappa Pi fraternity and performing physical and psychological torture on pledges.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 18, 2021, 07:56:06 PM
There's a nice bit of that in Nebraska. One character has two cousins who get very competitive with him about how fast they can get between different US cities in their respective cars. He doesn't give a shit but they're obsessed. Then when the extended family arrive for a big family dinner it turns out all the blokes are like this. It made me wonder if there are vast swathes of American men who are unable to talk about anything other than American cars, like it's some kind of universal language. A bit like British men and football:

https://youtu.be/_8ArgiWUcg4

Just watched that episode of Frasier where they go on the road trip in the Winnebago and Martin does a similar thing, getting obsessed with how many miles he can cover in one day and what's the furthest they can drive while still being able to drive back and arrive home within 24 hours.

QuoteIn Better Call Saul though there seems to be an obsession with German cars as status symbols ("You got a company car? Is it German?"). Plenty of American cars but the German ones are a serious step up.

Frasier Crane himself is no fan of the Winnebago. Naturally he drives a BMW.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: George White on March 07, 2021, 04:55:53 PM
Sarah Lancashire is playing her in an HBO miniseries.

No, really.
A batting average of .340?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

beanheadmcginty

Urinals with hand operated flushes. Usually in police stations.

Mobius

Getting sucked off by a Trucker via a gloryhole

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Mobius on March 09, 2021, 12:09:34 AM
Getting sucked off by a Trucker via a gloryhole

One of the more memorable episodes of " Charles In Charge", that 'un.

Cuellar

Horses running through council estates
Men with eyebrows on their cheeks
Badly tarmarced driveways
Beamish

...sorry, what were we doing again?

Fr.Bigley

Never having a quarter. Someone asking for a quarter. There just isn't enough quarters.

Starlit

Someone getting so worked up that they need to breathe into a paper bag.

Icehaven

Not a punchline but a cliché - a couple writing their own wedding vows, struggle, hilarity ensues.

famethrowa

Having a 4-digit house number, no one ever seems to live at number 7 or 5?

Fr.Bigley

Dayraven

Quote from: famethrowa on March 13, 2021, 10:14:51 AM
US cities use grid layouts much more than UK ones, meaning streets can be extremely long and high numbers like that really exist — for instance, there are places on Broadway numbered over 5000. Also why locations are often given by intersection rather than just by street.

petril

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 13, 2021, 12:02:58 PM
Klondike-555

whatever that means.

American telly grew up so early that the idea of having special phone numbers just for fictional use wasn't really a thing yet. loads of old telly and film ends up using valid, real numbers, or really obviously fake ones. 555 was the early attempt at fictional phone numbers, but a lot of exchanges did have a 555, and if there was no area code, people would still just dial it as local just to see. obviously such a spread out population had a bigger, messier system to deal with. I think now the big studios would just rent lines purely to have a number they can use for fiction and not have to worry or something. if you have mobile phone numbers in your show, just get some cheap SIMs from somewhere. something like that

over here, we eventually just go Ofcom's reserved list. covers a lot of geographic codes plus mobile as well.

really good for writing code to deal with phone numbers, because you can just not arsed about your test data being safe. plus you can use it to test for things in the wild, try to replicate bugs.

I should write a regex for that actually

idunnosomename

Reaching into the back of someone's trousers to pull up their underpants as a humilating act

If you'd tried that on someone at a British school in the 90s it would've labelled you as "the gayest gayboy" till the end of your GCSEs

Not sure we come off best here

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Klondike-555

whatever that means.
It's "KLondike 5", isn't it? The K and L are on the 5 key on a phone. I've no idea why they'd say that rather than "555" though.

On a related note: The expense of making long distance calls and the irritation of other phone companies pestering you to switch to them. I suppose that may be falling out of fashion, as more people use the Internet to communicate.

famethrowa

Klondike-555

whatever that means.

I've only heard of it from the Simpsons, and rather enjoy the exotic name used in this archaic phone system, I guess the joke is that Homer was years behind the times.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 13, 2021, 12:56:38 PM
Reaching into the back of someone's trousers to pull up their underpants as a humilating act

If you'd tried that on someone at a British school in the 90s it would've labelled you as "the gayest gayboy" till the end of your GCSEs

Not sure we come off best here

Used to do it all the time at my British school in the 90s. We called it a "melvin". I remember one kid memorable getting his pants ripped clean over his head. Lads used to also get lifted up, carried horizontally and slammed groin first into fenceposts. This was called "posting". It was an all boys school though, if that makes any difference.

paruses

Quote from: Dayraven on March 13, 2021, 12:18:11 PM
US cities use grid layouts much more than UK ones, meaning streets can be extremely long and high numbers like that really exist — for instance, there are places on Broadway numbered over 5000. Also why locations are often given by intersection rather than just by street.
Isn't the first bit of the number a marker of east/west or north/south on a street? Sounds like bullshit now I have typed it out but whoever told me was convincing at the time.

JaDanketies

We gave boys wedgies in my school and there was nothing gay about it tyvm

jamiefairlie

Quote from: famethrowa on March 13, 2021, 10:14:51 AM

It's the cross street, for instance 16303 47 Avenue, is located at the block bounded by 163 street and 47 avenue.

petril

Dumbarton Road in Glagow goes well into 4 digits