Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that seem to be punchlines in US comedy...

Started by Starlit, January 08, 2021, 08:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thosworth

Quote from: ersatz99 on March 15, 2021, 10:29:23 PM
How many blocks do you need to travel before it becomes a significant distance for a punchline to work? Is it a standardised distance?

After reading this I had to look it up. Apparently 'a block' varies, but is usually approximately 100m one way and 200m the other, which means 'two blocks north' is twice as far as 'two blocks west' (I think, or possibly vice versa, who knows?)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Thosworth on March 20, 2021, 04:54:16 PM
After reading this I had to look it up. Apparently 'a block' varies, but is usually approximately 100m one way and 200m the other, which means 'two blocks north' is twice as far as 'two blocks west' (I think, or possibly vice versa, who knows?)

It depends on the zoning board, probably.

Icehaven

Middle aged white wife leaving her husband for a younger black guy, who may or may not also be her personal trainer/tennis coach.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on March 18, 2021, 09:14:12 PM
When a character is introduced with the school they attended, a character has to smile and say "Go (x)" whereby x = the mascot/nickname of said academic institution's sports team. It's extra funny if it's a comically bathetic animal.

Similarly, a highschool guy is standing behind a podium because he's supposed to make a speech (about something unrelated to sport) but then he freezes, not knowing what to say, he looks momentarily panicked before very quickly shouting out something like "(name of sports team) rules!" with a raised fist, then runs off stage quickly.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 23, 2021, 02:02:14 PM
Similarly, a highschool guy is standing behind a podium because he's supposed to make a speech (about something unrelated to sport) but then he freezes, not knowing what to say, he looks momentarily panicked before very quickly shouting out something like "(name of sports team) rules!" with a raised fist, then runs off stage quickly.
I can't think of a single other example of this than "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". Is it really that common that it's annoying?

RFT

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 23, 2021, 02:33:14 PM
I can't think of a single other example of this than "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". Is it really that common that it's annoying?

Maybe when we do these cliche list threads, the rule should be that you have to offer at least three examples.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 23, 2021, 02:33:14 PM

I've seen it on several things, although I can't remember any examples, sorry!

petril

yeah I remember it being the go-to thing for high school students speaking in front of class scenes, in Saved By The Bell and all those ones. designated bonehead tertiary characters in front of the class reading a terrible essay but still winning the audience over. winning the audience gets you leverage. that's what the 90s taught us

DrGreggles

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 23, 2021, 04:45:18 PM
I've seen it on several things, although I can't remember any examples, sorry!

"STEVE HOLT!"

The Lurker

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Zetetic

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 18, 2021, 10:03:45 AM
Constant references to the "401k".
Burn the Heretic! Kill the Mutant! Purge the Unclean! etc.

"No, I don't love you. But that's a sure-nice ski mask!"

Dusty Substance

Watching an episode of Taxi and, during a coke-fuelled hallucination, Andy Kaufman sees a vision of Wally Amos of "Famous Amos" chocolate chip cookie fame. The audience loved this cameo but I didn't have a clue.

willbo

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 27, 2021, 07:20:23 PM
Watching an episode of Taxi and, during a coke-fuelled hallucination, Andy Kaufman sees a vision of Wally Amos of "Famous Amos" chocolate chip cookie fame. The audience loved this cameo but I didn't have a clue.

similar to Chandler in Friends mocking Monica's messy room by singing the Sanford and Son theme.

Icehaven

Icehaven

Pancake

I aways picture trail mix to be like one of those seed cakes in lard you made in cubs, fancy a bit of trail mix? Sure *sounds of soft gummy mastication*

Leej88

A woman having a baby and it ends up being black e.g My Name is Earl and Nip Tuck.

lipsink

Quote from: willbo on May 27, 2021, 07:57:58 PM
similar to Chandler in Friends mocking Monica's messy room by singing the Sanford and Son theme.

I've started rewatching Friends recently and there's so many jokes that back in the day I didn't have a fucking clue why the audience found funny. One in particular is when Ross is annoyed about his ex-wife getting remarried Chandler walks in taking off his jacket and singing "The most bitterest man in the living room, the most bitterest man in the living room..." and takes off his shoes saying "Hi neighbour". I looked up google and it's a reference to the theme tune from Mr Roger's Neighbourhood. I still don't really understand why the fuck the character Chandler decided to reference that show at that particular moment. Very odd.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Leej88 on June 18, 2021, 05:51:40 PM
A woman having a baby and it ends up being black e.g My Name is Earl and Nip Tuck.

The idea of that was a punchline in Robin's Nest.

olliebean

People singing lines for added emphasis. The archetypal version of this is probably Jean-Ralphio on Parks & Rec, but I've seen loads of examples of it.

lipsink

Yeah I've noticed that in lots of standup. Particularly if they're talking about something dark.
"Cos I was suffering (sings) post traumatic stress disorder"

Also hate when standups hold the mic really close to their mouth when saying the punchline.

Cold Meat Platter

Can't remember if I've posted this or it's been posted but people answering, "Sure, Why not?" to odd or over the top requests or questions, especially if they would inconvenience another character.

beanheadmcginty

Doing everything you possibly can do in order to avoid jury duty.

Icehaven

Someone accidentally chopping off a finger or toe, then having to look for it, put it on some humorous cold food like chicken dippers or something, then dash to the hospital. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 3 examples from Frasier, Brooklyn 99 and Superstore so I reckon it's probably happened at least once in every sitcom ever.

Steven88

Sleep apnoea. Brooklyn 99, Modern Family, Life in pieces and on further investigation Friends, Mike and Molly and The Big bang Theory have all had characters with it and jokes about it.