Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:01:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Series of Spiral [and every other series] on iPlayer/BBC Four

Started by Sebastian Cobb, January 08, 2021, 09:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I just caught a trailer for this on the back of TOTP saying 'the final series continues tomorrow at 9pm', so had a look and it looks like they've chucked them all on iPlayer already. I knew they were doing one more series but didn't realise it was coming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qzkq/episodes/player

surreal

Watched the whole of Season 8 last week - I'm glad they ended it on their terms, not perfect but fairly satisfying conclusion, gonna miss it. 

Did miss
Spoiler alert
Roban
[close]
not being there, such a great character throughout

Gilou!!!  Merde!!!  Bonjour Monsieur Le Juge!!  Ah, good times...

Some of the subtitles made me laugh all the way through but in this last season particularly when they were searching for someone "Find anything? No, nothing, you?  Nowt".  Also in the early seasons I seem to recall one of the background cop characters nicknames being "Teddy Bear" which always amused me in mid-suspect chase dialogue.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah, I stopped watching after series 5.

I recall a brilliantly tense ending to series 3 but after that it did seem to become a retread over the same themes. While there was a fair amount of decent criticism of the upper crust Parisien elite, I didn't feel their emphasis on the criminals being troublesome immigrants came fairly supported by establishing or referencing how gang culture came to be. Instead it seemed to veer into more perverse and cartoonish territory.

BlodwynPig

lebowskibukowski

I've just started a rewatch of the whole thing before cracking on with the new series and am now up to the beginning of the fourth series.
I knew it was quite dark, but I'd forgotten how bleak some of the storylines were - particularly in the third series, which is by far the strongest so far on rewatch. If I recall correctly, the quality dips for a couple of years after this before hitting it's stride again afterwards. It still pisses over most programmes of a similar ilk, though.

jobotic

Never seen this! Looking forward to starting at the beginning.

paruses

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 09, 2021, 07:33:30 PM
Wow, its normally years. Get in! Enjoyed DNA recently

Yes I really enjoyed DNA. First thing (except Snack Masters) I have looked forward to watching episode by episode. Recently started Spiral and loved S1. Must crack on with it.

studpuppet

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 09, 2021, 02:51:09 PM
Ah, I stopped watching after series 5.

I recall a brilliantly tense ending to series 3 but after that it did seem to become a retread over the same themes. While there was a fair amount of decent criticism of the upper crust Parisien elite, I didn't feel their emphasis on the criminals being troublesome immigrants came fairly supported by establishing or referencing how gang culture came to be. Instead it seemed to veer into more perverse and cartoonish territory.

I'm in agreement with this - found the last couple of series heavy going and seem to remember them making the same old stupid mistakes they'd made in previous instalments. Still, it's responsible for bringing Audrey Fleurot to my, ahem, attention for which I'm eternally grateful.

Jasha

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 09, 2021, 07:33:30 PM
Wow, its normally years. Get in! Enjoyed DNA recently

You just new the
Spoiler alert
ginger kid
[close]
wasn't going to be his and that when he
Spoiler alert
did eventually track her down
[close]
he wasn't going to do anything after
Spoiler alert
seeing the upset at the Minna handover
[close]

Took me a while to realise the Polish scenes were
Spoiler alert
from 5 years previously
[close]
which was a simple but effective storyline device.

paruses

Quote from: Jasha on January 13, 2021, 04:37:33 PM
You just new the
Spoiler alert
ginger kid
[close]
wasn't going to be his and that when he
Spoiler alert
did eventually track her down
[close]
he wasn't going to do anything after
Spoiler alert
seeing the upset at the Minna handover
[close]

Took me a while to realise the Polish scenes were
Spoiler alert
from 5 years previously
[close]
which was a simple but effective storyline device.

I agree with all your redacted points. The whole
Spoiler alert
timescale
[close]
was quite a nice
Spoiler alert
jolt in the
[close]
story telling. I also liked how they made the new pilot boyfriend a massive twat. Also - did you know the
Spoiler alert
big crime scene man
[close]
was
Spoiler alert
a wrongun' from the start
[close]
? It seemed
Spoiler alert
too obvious
[close]
but I liked
Spoiler alert
the reason why
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: surreal on January 09, 2021, 02:02:54 PM
Watched the whole of Season 8 last week - I'm glad they ended it on their terms, not perfect but fairly satisfying conclusion, gonna miss it. 

Did miss
Spoiler alert
Roban
[close]
not being there, such a great character throughout

Gilou!!!  Merde!!!  Bonjour Monsieur Le Juge!!  Ah, good times...

Some of the subtitles made me laugh all the way through but in this last season particularly when they were searching for someone "Find anything? No, nothing, you?  Nowt".  Also in the early seasons I seem to recall one of the background cop characters nicknames being "Teddy Bear" which always amused me in mid-suspect chase dialogue.

I enjoyed it but it was a bit of a re-tread.

I also missed
Spoiler alert
Roban, but thought the plucky new judge thing had potential as she found her feet but then it got a bit boring when she started shagging the boss and the usual web of lies and her getting pissed off at the subterfuge was quite similar to the usual Roban lines, whereas her finding her own arc would've been better.
[close]