Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump Impeachment 2: Donald's hiding in the loo

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 08, 2021, 10:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: pigamus on January 13, 2021, 09:53:59 PM
Imagine how pathetic they'll look if they don't vote to convict. Trump gets to claim victory, and he's still eligible to run in 2022. Worst of all worlds.

Which if they realise this, might scare them to voting to convict.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Potatoes on January 13, 2021, 10:00:39 PM
It is genuinely surprising that a Rep from SC would step up like this. Hope it bodes well for kicking the cunt out.

Which cunt? Helps to be specific when referring to multiple Republicans.

Urinal Cake

Tom Rice who I think gave no indication on how he would vote beforehand.

thugler

So they need 18 in the senate right? Is there any indication of that being at all likely?

Quote from: Mister Six on January 13, 2021, 10:22:20 PM
Which cunt? Helps to be specific when referring to multiple Republicans.

The orange cunt. Happy to clarify. Though I have little doubt that Rep Rice, however he may have voted in this instance, is also a cunt. He's a Republican from South Carolina ffs

Ferris

Quote from: thugler on January 13, 2021, 10:28:32 PM
So they need 18 in the senate right? Is there any indication of that being at all likely?

17 I think (and maybe only 16 because Kamala can vote if she likes but not sure on that).

McConnell is letting it happen, which considering how stringently he was whipping the vote in the first impeachment trial indicates it might not be a total waste of time (like the first one).

I reckon it'll still fail, but might get to 55-60 senate votes which in the partisan environment of 2021 is pretty impressive.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Potatoes on January 13, 2021, 10:28:59 PM
The orange cunt. Happy to clarify. Though I have little doubt that Rep Rice, however he may have voted in this instance, is also a cunt. He's a Republican from South Carolina ffs

[ferris tediously crowbars the time he spotted rep Joe Wilson (SC 2nd dist) in DC into conversation and was smug about it all day because no one else in the museum noticed him]

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 13, 2021, 10:34:17 PM
17 I think (and maybe only 16 because Kamala can vote if she likes but not sure on that).

McConnell is letting it happen, which considering how stringently he was whipping the vote in the first impeachment trial indicates it might not be a total waste of time (like the first one).

I reckon it'll still fail, but might get to 55-60 senate votes which in the partisan environment of 2021 is pretty impressive.

Isn't it far more a waste of time, in that Donald J. Trump's term expires in one week? I imagine McConnell is encouraging is so the Democrats waste the start of Biden's terms rather than actually doing something.

bgmnts

I'm sure its been brought up plenty of times but surely inciting violence on your own nation's capital and inciting insurrection is tantamount to treason? Should he get the death penalty?

Ferris

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 13, 2021, 10:38:56 PM
Isn't it far more a waste of time, in that Donald J. Trump's term expires in one week? I imagine McConnell is encouraging is so the Democrats waste the start of Biden's terms rather than actually doing something.

Biden has two years of full legislative control locked in, and centrist dems are more than capable of wasting time without Mitch's shenanigans. I think a lot of the congressional republicans are more flabbergasted that trumps mental cult actually impacted them! Directly! We had to go in a different room for a bit and stay late!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 13, 2021, 10:42:10 PM
Biden has two years of full legislative control locked in, and centrist dems are more than capable of wasting time without Mitch's shenanigans. I think a lot of the congressional republicans are more flabbergasted that trumps mental cult actually impacted them! Directly! We had to go in a different room for a bit and stay late!

Two years is not long, and a lot of legislative accomplishments need to be pushed through with the initial momentum of taking office, not to mention hundreds of administrative and judicial appointments.

I see zero purpose in wasting time impeaching Trump. If they can do it in an afternoon then fine, but they are going to drag this charade out again!

Of course that's no accident, the Democratic leadership do not actually want to do anything now that they have control of Congress.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2021, 10:40:42 PM
I'm sure its been brought up plenty of times but surely inciting violence on your own nation's capital and inciting insurrection is tantamount to treason? Should he get the death penalty?
maybe he will have himself killed to appeal to his law an ordah base

Urinal Cake

If Trump is impeached, with another vote he can be barred from running again.

Mister Six

A successful impeachment lays the foundation for Trump to be banned from entering the 2024 election, and also removes his presidential pension and Secret Service detail (and probably his access to the intelligence briefings that ex-presidents get) so no, not really.[nb] Although I liked the idea of Trump running as a spoiler in the 2024 election, that could obviously backfire if he somehow got elected again, and hopefully the MAGA chumps will still screw with the GOP primary.[/nb]

idunnosomename

Ferris

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 13, 2021, 10:44:00 PM
Two years is not long, and a lot of legislative accomplishments need to be pushed through with the initial momentum of taking office, not to mention hundreds of administrative and judicial appointments.

I see zero purpose in wasting time impeaching Trump. If they can do it in an afternoon then fine, but they are going to drag this charade out again!

Of course that's no accident, the Democratic leadership do not actually want to do anything now that they have control of Congress.

Bernie's point (and I agree with him AS PER BLOODY USUAL) was that if they didn't impeach trump over this, then what kind of precedent are they setting? House has already voted (so they're done with it) and it's a lame duck session so it isn't holding anything up[nb]well, the $2k relief cheques but that won't make it through this session anyway[/nb]

I agree with you if this starts to drag out and get in the way of actual legislation before the senate, then yeah it is a waste of time.

druss

Trump meant to be speaking soon. I doubt he will have the sense to resign although if he did then he could run again in 2024. That option might be closed if he gets convicted in the senate.

Fambo Number Mive

So he will be impeached, but not before he leaves office. I presume he still has to turn up to the trial? Can imagine him not bothering.

Paul Calf

Quote from: druss on January 13, 2021, 09:40:17 PM
It will be funny if they somehow manage to squeeze in the senate vote before the 20th and Pence becomes president for a day.

And who but a fool would want that?

Paul Calf

Quote from: bgmnts on January 13, 2021, 10:40:42 PM

It's not treason, it's insurrection. He's being impeached for High Crimes and Misdemeanours which, while requiring a lower standard of proof for incitement than strict criminal liability (which, due the the 1st Amendment, is almost absurdly high) also carries different penalties.

Paul Calf

This is an explanation of this complex and fairly arcane point of law that was simple enough for an idiot like me to understand:

https://youtu.be/XwqAInN9HWI

Fambo Number Mive

The trial will start at 1pm Eastern Time today which is 6pm GMT

Paul Calf

He's going to be acquitted. You just know it. And it'll increase the proxy sense of injustice his cult members feel.

Buelligan

They don't call it the loo anyway.  He's hiding in the Fanny PAC.

markburgle

What about the argument that it's bad for the Republicans if he's not impeached (because he's threatening his own Patriot Party which will split the red vote and ensure the blues win the next election too)? Any weight to that?

NoSleep

Apparently refusing to testify could open him up to a criminal case later on.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-impeachment-trap-testify-b1798644.html

QuoteWith Democrats already pointing to Mr Trump's culpability, MSNBC's legal analyst Danny Cevallos compared the request made by Mr Raskin as a "constitutional jiu jitsu" trap, with the former president risking a future criminal trial.

"Jamie Raskin is using a great bit of constitutional jujitsu here," Cevallos said on Saturday morning. "They did not issue a subpoena, they just requested or invited him to come testify and president Trump declined."

He said that meant the Senate would be able to make "that negative inference from a defendant's silence, [that] is allowed," which would set a precedent for any future criminal trial against Mr Trump.

Paul Calf

Doesn't that contradict the 5th Amendment?[nb]5th Amendment? Attendees at the annual White House spelling bee are only entitled to one lunchtime buffet visit?[/nb]

Retinend

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 09, 2021, 09:04:54 AM
He's going to be acquitted. You just know it. And it'll increase the proxy sense of injustice his cult members feel.

If he's acquitted they'll feel more aggrieved?

Paul Calf

Quote from: Retinend on February 09, 2021, 09:41:12 AM
If he's acquitted they'll feel more aggrieved?

Yes, because the Deep State has had another go at him and they've been proven wrong because he's been exonerated WHEN WILL THEY STOP HOUNDING US?!?!?!?!?