Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:53:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

idunnosomename

QuoteHans Moleman - He sadly states that "nobody's gay for Moleman". However, he once dated Selma, so whether or not he is secretly gay or bisexual is up for debate.

JamesTC

Quote from: stonkers on July 26, 2021, 10:10:54 AM
Is the basis for it not being canon just that some fans have decided it isn't?

Yep. This despite hundreds of worse canon and character ruining moments in the 20 seasons that follow.

Blumf

Quote from: stonkers on July 26, 2021, 10:10:54 AM
Is the basis for it not being canon just that some fans have decided it isn't?

Quote from: JamesTC on July 26, 2021, 09:38:20 AMsexual continuity in The Simpsons.

Quotehowever it can't be confirmed until it is confirmed in the show

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mobbd on July 25, 2021, 03:57:30 PM
What do you mean? How does SF doing the hope poster and the obey stickers make him "patron saint of latter-day Simpsons"?
I was referring to the fact that Shepard Fairey did random stuff for no reason, rather than anything specifically giant-related.

retsuza

Bothers me to no end that people think Principal and the Pauper is some egregious abuse of the canon or the shark jumping moment. It's a great episode and as far as character retcon it's pretty much the same as Hurricane Neddy, which nobody seems to have a problem with.

JamesTC

I like to imagine that this is the type of thing scrawled on the wall of a hotel near where several murders took place:
Quote from: Simpsons WikiLisa Simpson - First of all, Al Jean made many tweets about Lisa being bisexual, which almost confirms it, however it can't be confirmed until it is confirmed in the show. In the episode "No Loan Again, Naturally", Bart said "Lisa is Gay!", then Lisa firmly replied, "Like I wouldn't want to be gay like all my heroes." Implying that she might be gay, or bisexual. In the episode Mother and Child Reunion , a fortune teller said that Lisa has a 42% chance to have a boyfriend in the future and a 72% chance for a girlfriend in the future. However what really hints that Lisa is bi is her response, "I like those odds!". In the episode "Holidays of Future Passed", a montage of photos were featured to show a glimpse of what's to come for the Simpsons family. Lisa is shown intimately holding hands with two women in one photo, then with a different woman in another photo. She is later shown married to Milhouse Van Houten and having a child with him, and possibly marrying Ralph Wiggum. She has also dated several other boys. In the episode "Gorgeous Grampa", Homer is flipping through the reality shows, to Lisa's disgust. However, when Homer and Lisa keep flipping through channels and see a reality show on gay marriage she says 'Well' and thinks about it. Al Jean also teased that a future-set episode in Season 29 would feature Lisa ending up with a woman, stating, "Oh my God, I have a friend!" Then her friend holds her hand romantically and winks at her, where she remarks, "Maybe more than a friend!" Which ended up happening. [27] However, Mr. Lisa's Opus is ambiguous about it. The episode "Bart to the Future" contradicts this when a then 38-year-old Lisa campaigns and wins to become "the first straight female President" of the United States. However she could be in the closet about that because she could think that it could tear away her presidency. Also it is of course, non canon.

idunnosomename

Pink Gregory

Quote from: retsuza on July 26, 2021, 10:53:15 AM
Bothers me to no end that people think Principal and the Pauper is some egregious abuse of the canon or the shark jumping moment. It's a great episode and as far as character retcon it's pretty much the same as Hurricane Neddy, which nobody seems to have a problem with.

Harry Shearer said on RHLSTP that he hated it, citing that it undermined the character that had come before.  He has a point but christ it's hardly a shark jump.  At least it's interesting.

JamesTC

Worth pointing out that a later episode actually references it and it is not marked as non-canon.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Principal and the Pauper isn't a shark jump because of the content, its a shark jump because its the point where obnoxious "if anything, you owe them" attitude isn't just confined to out of character remarks in the show, its become the general attitude driving the show itself. I think putting its unpopularity down to its resemblence to the stupid plots of Zombie Simpsons misses the point, no one knew Zombie Simpsons would happen when it was broadcast. It has good jokes and the plot itself is fine, the guest voice is clearly one of the all time best, its the flippancy and contempt for the audience that people respondedly to so negatively - the ending gag is effectively if you care about this, you're stupid.

The DVD commentary for the episode is unbelievably obnoxious:

Quote"This [episode] is about a community of people who like things just the way they are. Skinner's not really close to these people—you know, he's a minor character—but they get upset when someone comes in and says, 'This is not really the way things are', and they run the messenger out of town on the rail. When the episode aired, lo and behold, a community of people who like things just the way they are got mad. It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it."

How dare you become emotionally attached to the characters in the work of fiction you may well have grew up with you absolute MORONS

JamesTC

The theme of a town very willing to ignore reality in order to return to normality is very ahead of its time given the US and UK at the moment.

Thursday

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 26, 2021, 06:54:10 PM
The Principal and the Pauper isn't a shark jump because of the content, its a shark jump because its the point where obnoxious "if anything, you owe them" attitude isn't just confined to out of character remarks in the show, its become the general attitude driving the show itself. I think putting its unpopularity down to its resemblence to the stupid plots of Zombie Simpsons misses the point, no one knew Zombie Simpsons would happen when it was broadcast. It has good jokes and the plot itself is fine, the guest voice is clearly one of the all time best, its the flippancy and contempt for the audience that people respondedly to so negatively - the ending gag is effectively if you care about this, you're stupid.

The DVD commentary for the episode is unbelievably obnoxious:

How dare you become emotionally attached to the characters in the work of fiction you may well have grew up with you absolute MORONS

I feel like that's more Ken Keeler specifically, and the others on the commentary seem to find his attitude a bit weird, but maybe that's just my memory.

It is very odd for that the writer of a tv show filled with beloved characters is utterly befuddled by the concept that people get attached to the characters of a tv show.

Oakley and Weinstein come across as very well on twitter, and never sneering, so I don't think that's their attitude. (Although I worry Oakley is going to eat himself into an early grave with his fast food reviews.)

JamesTC

Season 23 - Episode 17 - Them, Robot

Leon Kompowsky is in the couch gag doing a moon walk. BAN THIS SICK FILTH

Homer is asleep at work so Lenny and Carl throw paper clips in his mouth. Burns announces that the following Monday they will be doing a drugs test and that alcohol is considered a drug so Homer yells so loudly that it creates an earthquake that ripples through the Plant's car park and destroys numerous cars, derails a train and kills Gil. Homer cannot drink all weekend. Homer sees the entire family as alcohol and he tries to open the big beer bottle but he is actually just twisting Grandpa's head. Homer takes an entire bottle of antidepressants, surely these are a drug which will show up in the drugs test? Homer drinks a Mimosa without realising there is Champagne in it.

Before Homer goes in to the drugs test, a man is found to have significant amounts of gamma radiation in him and collapses imagining he is like the Hulk. Mr Burns' lawyer and Dr Hibbert come to Burns and tell him he is liable for a significant amount of damages. Mr Burns decided to replace the workforce with robots. Smithers says to Burns that he will need to keep one employee to do the menial tasks such as signing for packages that. Homer comes to Burns' office to complain about being fired (and to praise the microwave in the break room) so Burns decides to keep him on which is the plot of the episode.

The previous episode opened with the entire plant stealing office supplies, but Homer got away with it and Burns rewarded him with a day off. Wouldn't it have been better if that lead into the main plot of this episode? The entire plant gets fired for stealing office supplies and is replaced by robots except Homer who escaped before he could be caught. Guess The Simpsons writers must know best...

Smithers is fired as he too is replaced by a robot. Homer's new robot co-workers won't respond to his work banter. Homer goes to Moe's and asks Lenny and Carl if they have found a job yet but they haven't. Homer complains about his robot co-workers but Lenny plays the world's smallest violin and then reveals it is literally a really small violin. Moe is so depressed about the new atmosphere that he pours himself a beer but then he complains to himself about it and pulls out a shotgun on himself.

Homer is pissing about at the plant and accidentally destroys a robot. While trying to fix it he destroys more. He eventually manages to get one of the robots to talk to him (Brent Spiner) by activating the human interaction mode. The town now has 99% unemployment (they don't really explain why but I assume the loss of jobs meant loss of business elsewhere too). Marge remembers when she was a child and Mr Burns first arrived in Springfield and the flashback involves Moe getting stamped by an elephant which turns him ugly. Lenny washes car windows at traffic lights. Smithers is a substitute teacher. Barney strips for money Full Monty style.

Homer takes his new robot friends out to play baseball. Homer accidentally walks onto the road so a robot sacrifices itself for him. He cradles the corpse of the robot when another truck approaches, so another robot has to sacrifice itself. Then another. Then another. Then another. Then another. Then another. Then another. Homer holds a funeral in the backyard for all the robots killed. He raises a can of Duff to toast the lost robots when a robot takes the beer away as it is harmful to humans. Homer drills into the robots heads to make adjustments. Now all the robots have a new prime directive which is to remove all impediments to the plant, which basically means they are evil now and have red evil eyes. The robots have buzz saw hands and literally cut a slice out of Homer's head. He sticks it back on using gum and runs away.

Homer arrives at Burns' mansion. They are chased by the robots and then surrounded before being rescued by all of the unemployed people of Springfield. Burns rehires everybody as temps and they cheer. Cut to a fishing trip and Homer has reprogrammed a robot again. Homer says he wants to help the robot become a real boy. The robot kills itself after Homer asks it to be a motor for the boat. Credits roll.

3/10 - Nothing particularly offensive, but just as bland as can be.

Wonderful Butternut

QuoteBrent Spiner

I was going to ask does he have any self-respect, but now that I think of it, it's sort of established already that he doesn't.

JamesTC

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on July 26, 2021, 11:14:01 PM
I was going to ask does he have any self-respect, but now that I think of it, it's sort of established already that he doesn't.

Nah, the moment he truly lost any self-respect along with the rest of the cast:

Modern Simpsons, even at its lowest, is still significantly better than the steaming pile of absolute xenophobic, badly written, badly plotted, rushed, lazy, poorly planned pile of shite that is Star Trek Picard.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: JamesTC on July 26, 2021, 11:21:32 PM
Modern Simpsons, even at its lowest, is still significantly better than

Nah. This sentence cannot be completed without telling fibs.

JamesTC

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on July 26, 2021, 11:26:38 PM
Nah. This sentence cannot be completed without telling fibs.

Al Jean>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alex Kurtzman

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 26, 2021, 07:20:30 AM
So, *two* episodes where Grandpa moves in with the family?

He also moves in in "The Scorpion's Tale" just because they had to set up the family being fed up with his crankiness like it wasn't already a well established character trait that they didn't need to contrive an umpteenth move-in situation for.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JamesTC on July 26, 2021, 11:01:08 PM
Season 23 - Episode 17 - Them, Robot

3/10 - Nothing particularly offensive, but just as bland as can be.
The idea of Homer responding to robot colleagues is quite a neat idea for an episode. It's good when he's actually being nice to the robots and just is a bit too dim to realize that they're not sentient - that's in character and does reflect how people react around robots and computers, anthropomorphizing them. But IMO the ending is just horrible. If Homer wants the robots to be his friends, why is he happy to destroy thousands of them? He's stupid but not that stupid[nb]Other episodes have suggested Homer is capable of crossing the road[/nb]. Without wishing to compare Indian workers to robots, it would make far more sense for him to do what he did when he was posted to India[nb]Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore (season 17, episode 17)[/nb], i.e. make them lazy and entitled. The one time the Simpsons writers decide not to repeat themselves.

JamesTC

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 27, 2021, 12:09:39 PM
The idea of Homer responding to robot colleagues is quite a neat idea for an episode. It's good when he's actually being nice to the robots and just is a bit too dim to realize that they're not sentient - that's in character and does reflect how people react around robots and computers, anthropomorphizing them. But IMO the ending is just horrible. If Homer wants the robots to be his friends, why is he happy to destroy thousands of them? He's stupid but not that stupid[nb]Other episodes have suggested Homer is capable of crossing the road[/nb]. Without wishing to compare Indian workers to robots, it would make far more sense for him to do what he did when he was posted to India[nb]Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore (season 17, episode 17)[/nb], i.e. make them lazy and entitled. The one time the Simpsons writers decide not to repeat themselves.

I feel like they started with the ending and worked backwards. Basically, they just wanted to do I, Robot. Because that is all they do now, parodies of other films and TV shows.

JamesTC

Season 23 - Episode 18 - Beware My Cheating Bart

Homer, Bart and Milhouse are at the cinema. Cars 3 and Jackass: The Funeral are the headline films. Homer is looking at the films to find one suitable for Bart and Milhouse. One of the posters which isn't commented on is an American Football player wearing only a helmet and nappy with the title "Horrible Premise" which I rather like as a background gag. Homer buys Bart and Milhouse tickets for The Happy Little Elves 2 but says he is going to the food court.

After overeating, Homer slows down and nearly collapses outside a sports store. Homer is asked by a salesman how long he wants to live and he imagines him and Marge much older sitting on a bench talking about how Lenny and Dr Hibbert have hurt themselves with a fall. I rather like it when Homer has a rather sweet and quaint outlook on things. The salesman sells Homer on a running machine which is the plot of the episode.

Following the end of the film, Bart and Milhouse bump into the three bullies. Jimbo is there with his girlfriend called Shauna but she doesn't want to see the Hong Kong horror film that they are going to see so wants to go and watch a Jennifer Aniston film. Jimbo wants a chaperone for her to keep perverts away so asks Bart. Shauna complains to Bart that Jimbo doesn't care about her. Homer calls Bart to go but not before Jimbo tells Bart that he needs to chaperone Shauna again the next day.

Homer is running on the running machine in the basement when Lisa points out that the TV on it is linked up to the internet so he can stream whole seasons of old TV shows. Homer finds a show called Lost Stranded. Homer becomes obsessed with Stranded. Jokes about Lost. Homer is now just sitting down at the running machine while watching the screen. Bart is with Shauna when she steals perfume and gets caught, so Bart takes the blame. As a thank you, Shauna shows Bart her tits. Bart says to himself "my god, it's just like dad's".

Bart starts seeing tits everywhere. Marge finds out about Homer not using the running machine and tells him to either use it as a running machine or take it back. Bart tells Shauna she can do better than Jimbo who is mean to her. Homer has gotten rid of the running machine and replaced it with a TV and DVD player with the Stranded box set. Marge acts all sexy in the basement but Homer is too obsessed with Stranded so Marge gets angry. Montage of Bart doing romantic stuff with Shauna including regularly snogging her despite the fact that she is supposed to be a few years older than him so it is all a bit creepy.

Jimbo sees Bart snogging Shauna so he beats Bart up. Bart gets away. Shauna arrives to help Bart. Bart takes Shauna to the comic book store but Comic Book Guy rats them out to the bullies because he is a cyberbully. Shauna cyberbullies Comic Book Guy in return so he kicks them out. Homer invites Lenny and Carl around to talk about Stranded but they keep spoiling future episodes and he keeps firing off an air horn to stop them. Marge asks Homer to quiet down as Maggie cannot get to sleep but Homer continues being obnoxious so Marge spoils the show for him by revealing the whole show is a grain of kitty litter. Homer retaliates by giving Marge a spoiler for their marriage by telling her that it is not going too great.

Bart and Shauna are in the treehouse with all the bullies patrolling around it. Lisa arrives. Jimbo turns up. Lisa says Shauna shouldn't be with either of them and Shauna agrees and says she should instead be with an inappropriately older man. Marge makes it up to Homer by having Stranded themed sex. Everything zooms out to reveal that the entire Simpsons universe is a grain of kitty litter. This is canon yet Armin Tamzarian is too much for Simpsons Wiki.

3/10 - I will remember this one as the one where a teenage girl shows Bart her tits.

JamesTC

Season 23 - Episode 19 - A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again

Really lovely couch gag with everything just replaced with black text on a white background.

Bart wakes up and it is Monday. He goes through the week on autopilot and depressed in a nice montage sequence. Bart sees an advert for a cruise with a water slide on it and he wants to go on it. Bart asks Homer and Marge if they can go on the cruise but Homer spent all their money at Mr Steak. Bart sees if he can afford it but he can't. Bart sells everything he owns to raise money. Moe buys Bart's baby teeth so he can eat them. Bart still hasn't raised enough for the cruise. The family all sell something to raise more money. They now have enough to go on the cruise which is the plot of the episode.

The cruise is overbooked, so they end up getting a triple upgrade to the best rooms the cruise has. The room even has new films such as a pandemic film. The family watch an introduction video for the cruise with the captain of the ship being played by Steve Coogan, although he sounds nothing like him. Marge and Homer have ocean sex. Bart does various fun stuff on the cruise. Steve Coogan announces through song that they are halfway through the cruise and that they will soon be back home to their normal lives. Bart is sad about returning to normal life and has a fantasy of him on his deathbed and remembering his one good week in his whole life.

Bart decides he needs to extend the cruise so he uses the pandemic film to fake a pandemic. To avoid the virus they must remain at sea. Whilst everybody is panicking, Bart is delighted and having fun. 12 days later, the cruise is run down and supplies are running low. Bart is annoyed that nobody is having fun. The family find out about his lie. Bart reveals the hoax to everybody on the cruise. The family are thrown off the cruise and left at Antarctica.

Lisa sees a group of penguins but Bart scoffs at them saying they are boring and that them sliding on ice is just one fleeting moment of fun. Lisa explains that life is just about capturing the best moments and Homer pushes Bart down the ice slide and the whole family follow. Cut to Bart on his deathbed again and he is remembering going down the ice slide. Credits roll.

3/10 - There is an idea in there but it means twisting Bart into weird places to get the story to where it needs to be. Steve Coogan being brought in to play somebody who doesn't sound like Steve Coogan was disappointing.

JamesTC

Season 23 - Episode 20 - The Spy Who Learned Me

Homer is shouting out snappy comments at the cinema whilst him and Marge are watching a James Bond Stradivarius Cain film. Marge is annoyed by his witty comments but Lenny and Carl love them. At Springfield Elementary, they are now taking away all smart phones to cut down on embarrassing videos being uploaded to YouTube. Nelson is stealing loads of lunch money from kids including Bart. Homer calls Marge from work and says he will be arriving home soon when Mr Burns drives into him and gives him a concussion. Homer is given 8 weeks of paid leave. Homer returns home but Marge is annoyed along with the rest of the family so Homer keeps the paid leave a secret which is the plot of the episode.

Santa's Little Helper is doing a good roo. Homer says to Marge that he could call in sick, but she says that she needs to take care of Maggie. At school, the kids are watching a parody of Super Size Me which gives Bart the idea to fatten up Nelson to stop him bullying people. Homer goes to Moe's and starts to see Stradivarius Cain due to his concussion. Cain wants to help him with his relationship with Marge. Bart gives Nelson some Krusty Burger. Cain tells Homer to clean his car. Lou is Chief Wiggum's imaginary friend.

Nelson is addicted to Krusty Burger and has put on loads of weight. Cain wants Homer to hit on a random attractive woman at a posh bar in order to build confidence. Homer fails initially, but then Cain tells him what to say and he wins the affection of an attractive woman but then her drug lord husband arrives and threatens Homer with a gun so he squeezes lemon in his face and runs away. Marge arrives at the plant with a picnic basket as Homer has been working so hard recently, but Lenny reveals what happened.

Lisa takes Nelson to Krusty who is playing Zii Tennis with Mr Teeny. Krusty gets his personal trainer to help Nelson. Homer arrives home and Marge confronts him. Cain tells Homer to tell the truth and that he spent the time trying to be a better husband. Homer and Marge go for a special date but Homer is attacked by the drug lord from earlier. Homer is advised by Cain to talk to the drug lord so he uses the same thing Cain advised him to say to the women earlier and this wins over the drug lord. Homer reveals that he was supposed to be back at work a week earlier. The nerds at school are all happy but then a buff Nelson arrives and beats them all up. Credits roll.

3/10 - Bryan Cranston was fun as Cain. The rest was typically nothing.

JamesTC

Season 23 - Episode 21 - Ned 'n' Edna's Blend Agenda

For fuck sake, as if the abject Avatar parody they did in the last Treehouse of Horror wasn't bad enough, they now do an Avatar couch gag too.

They are auditioning parts for a production of The Passion Play. Flanders is auditioning and has played Jesus in previous years but is given a non-speaking role and then Homer is given the role of Jesus. Lisa warns Homer that not taking Jesus seriously really gets people annoyed. Homer does a really good performance and Frink denounces science. Homer as Jesus says "only my father can judge me" and Grandpa shouts "crucify him" from the crowd. Homer is put up on the cross and Flanders prays at his feet for forgiveness for doubting Homer and then the cross breaks under Homer's weight and lands on Flanders. Flanders is taken to hospital with a head injury but the driver says to Krabappel that only immediate family are allowed in to which Flanders says that she is his wife to the surprise of the town. They had a secret wedding which is the plot of the episode.

Krabappel and Flanders talk in the hospital about how it was nice having a secret marriage while it lasted. Marge and Homer arrive with a wedding gift. Disco Stu, Lenny, the tall guy who can't fit in the car, Quimby, Willie, Nelson and Comic Book Guy are amongst the next cavalcade of people to arrive to wish them happiness at their nuptials. At the dinner table, Rod and Todd don't know what to call Krabappel as she doesn't like "Cigarette Mommy" and they do not want to call her Edna as they see it as disrespectful.

Homer and Marge offer to throw a party for Flanders and Krabappel. Krabappel mentions that the only guests at the wedding (aside from Rob and Todd) were Flanders' parents and we see his hippy parents again repeating the same joke from 15 years ago but worse. Krabappel tries to play a game with Rod and Todd but they rebuff any suggestions. Bart tries to give Krabappel advice by suggesting she take them into the real world. Krabappel arrives at The Leftorium to pick up Flanders for the party but he is stuck in an LGBT meeting. It stands for Left, Gifted, Bidextrous and Transhanded.

Krabappel takes Rod and Todd out of Christian School after visiting the school. Flanders says he guesses they can go to "Springfield Hellementary". Flanders now has a nightmare made out of plasticine and Rodd is graduating from Comparative Religious Studies, which makes him scream. At the party, Marge asks Flanders and Krabappel how the kids are doing at Springfield Elementary. Rod and Todd have temporary tattoos and they tell Flanders to chillax. Flanders reveals to Krabappel that the marriage isn't perfect. Krabappel says that the boys trust her with them and he needs to work out whether he does.

Flanders stays the night at the Simpsons home. Homer and Marge argue over parenting, which makes Flanders realise that after all this time they still don't agree on how to raise their kids. Flanders arrives at a school assembly and apologises. Krabappel and Flanders make up. Homer is dressed up as Jesus and opening up a store and is shocked by God. Credits roll. Flanders rapping over the end titles.

3/10

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: JamesTC on July 28, 2021, 11:24:05 PM
Disco Stu, Lenny, the tall guy who can't fit in the car, Quimby, Willie, Nelson and Comic Book Guy are amongst the next cavalcade of people to arrive to wish them happiness at their nuptials.
Yes those people would definitely know Flanders and Krabappel and would definitely give a fuck that they got married. I was going to bold Comic Book Guy's name but then I remembered that he and Edna almost had a Klingon wedding in that episode where they dated.

idunnosomename

of course Incredibly Tall Man Who Can't fit in a car is a caricature of shit show writer Ian Maxtone-Graham, who's 6′ 8″.

JamesTC

Season 23 - Episode 22 - Lisa Goes Gaga

I feel like this episode is a culturally significant one. For many years people looked down on latter-day Simpsons but it always had defenders. This is the episode which made everybody stand up and say that the show has absolutely lost it. This is what people exaggerate Principal and the Pauper to be. An episode so exceptionally bad to be a permanent stain on the show's history that even the most vociferous of fans cannot deny. I still haven't seen it... until now.

A voice-over is talking about Springfield. He says something is about to happen. For fuck sake, this didn't take long to turn to shit. The chickens on a farm have laid diamond eggs and the farmer's wife points out that the Lady Gaga express is arriving in town. The Lady Gaga express is a big train the shape of the top of Lady Gaga's head with shoes on the side and rainbow pumping out of her head instead of steam. On the train, Lady Gaga is told that Springfield has the lowest self-esteem of any town and she finds that sad so decides to visit which is the plot of the episode.

At Springfield Elementary, they are giving out Student Choice awards. Bart wins class clown. Lisa wins least popular student and is very sad. Milhouse shows Lisa the school message board on his Mapple computer and there is an anonymous person going by the name Truth Teller who is standing up for Lisa. Milhouse isn't Truth Teller. Lisa is now more popular at school thanks to Truth Teller. Lisa drops a notepad from her bag and Bart sees messages written in it and realises that Lisa is Truth Teller. The school turns on Lisa and she does a cry.

Lady Gaga is dancing but then her head starts to hurt and she has a vision of Lisa being sad. Cletus and Brandine's unborn child gives up moonshine. Lady Gaga arrives in town and the town are all excited. Lisa is still sad. Homer suggests they go and see Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga exits the train wearing a dress of hummingbirds and is also being lifted in the air by them. Now she has a dress made of Oscars and is doing a song. Now she has changed her dress again and has flame coming out of her tits. Lisa is still sad. Lady Gaga gets the headache again and sees Lisa in the audience.

Lady Gaga goes to the Simpson home. Lady Gaga flashes her flaming tits at Flanders. Lady Gaga reads the mean comments on the website and is annoyed. She tells Lisa that everything will be fine but she still isn't happy so she gets Lisa a flash mob which also does fuck all. Lady Gaga vows not to leave until she restores Lisa's sense of hope. Lady Gaga discusses the problem with Marge. I've kind of stopped paying attention at this point, so I may have missed something. Lady Gaga unhatches from a giant egg and sees Lisa at the playground. Lisa gets pissed off at Lady Gaga and denounces her. Lady Gaga goes away crying tiny diamonds.

Homer tries to make Lisa feel better by telling her that her issue isn't that she lied it was that she got caught (referring to when she pretended to be Truth Teller). Lisa realises how ungrateful she has been and needs to catch a train. Lady Gaga is depressed but is leaving. Lisa arrives and catches up with the Lady Gaga train. Lisa thanks Lady Gaga for letting her focus her rage on her and now Lisa can say good things about herself. Lady Gaga tells her that there is one more thing she needs to do to be a little monster which is to sing. Lisa sings a song with Lady Gaga. Homer sings a parody of a Lady Gaga song over the credits.

1/10 - Embarrassing pandering shite. Remember when Homer offers his pathetic suggestions to the writers of Itchy and Scratchy for how they should make the show more popular with Poochie in it? Imagine that but with Lady Gaga instead of Poochie. The only positive thing I can say is it isn't the worst episode of The Simpsons but it is pretty fucking close.

madhair60

I'm still doing my own watchthrough and I saw "Homer the Father" the other day - I have to say it's comfortably the best episode from about season 14 to this point, but that still isn't saying a whole lot. I just... kind of liked it. Didn't hate it.

The one I'm on now is about Homer and Cheech and Chong or something and I am just not interested at all.